General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

BRAKE Light Stays On Dash

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2017, 09:54 AM

BRAKE Light Stays On Dash

I recently purchased a 71 cutlass convertible and ever since I brought the car home the "BRAKE" light on the gauge or dash stays illuminated. I installed new front hose, pads and calipers and filled the master cylinder up and bled the brakes and filled the master cylinder back up. Need help, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old September 13th, 2017, 10:49 AM

One of 2 things, the equalizer valve is not centered or the E brake peddle is down SOME, Try the E break first if that is not it take the rear brake line loose at the master cyl and mash the brake peddle down, you should hear the valve swap may need to mash really hard, after the valve swaps reattach the line and mash the peddle again, that should center the valve.

Good luck

Johnny
Old September 13th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I'd bet it was a sticking switch on the e-brake inside the car. Try disconnecting the wire from that switch and see if the light goes out. If it does, there's your culprit - the switch. They're almost identical to the ones for the door jambs.
Old September 13th, 2017, 01:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

So first question: Was there a problem with the brakes BEFORE you did all that work?
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:18 PM

Joe

yes ever since i bought the car a few weeks ago the brake light on the dash has been on
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by sleeton
Joe

yes ever since i bought the car a few weeks ago the brake light on the dash has been on
joe,that answers your question
Old September 14th, 2017, 07:03 AM

Pull the emergency brake release handle and hold it. Then reach down and pull up on the emergency brake pedal.
Old September 14th, 2017, 07:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jcdynamic88
joe,that answers your question
No, actually it doesn't. My (ambiguously worded) question was "how did the brakes FUNCTION before all that work". Was the pedal firm and did the car stop despite the light? Were there any signs of leaks?

The OP has replaced a lot of parts. Was that even necessary? Was the only problem prior to the work the light staying on, or was there a brake functionality issue?
Old September 14th, 2017, 10:25 AM

[QUOTE=joe_padavano;1043014]No, actually it doesn't.

should have put sarcasm in parenthesis.
Old September 14th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jcdynamic88
should have put sarcasm in parenthesis.
Yeah, those HTML codes still aren't working...
Old September 14th, 2017, 10:53 AM

Joe

the reason I replaced the front brakes was because the calipers were locked up. So, since I was already there replacing the calipers I went ahead and replaced the pads and the hoses. Once all of this was installed I bled the brakes and upon completion of all of this I now want to tackle the issue of the BRAKE light illuminating. The work on the front brakes was just to allow the front wheels to rotate. Hope that clears things up.

Where is the switch you eluded to in a previous post that you advised to disconnect the wire on, is it on the brake pedal or the emergency brake pedal itself?

Thank you
Old September 14th, 2017, 11:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by sleeton
Joe

the reason I replaced the front brakes was because the calipers were locked up. So, since I was already there replacing the calipers I went ahead and replaced the pads and the hoses. Once all of this was installed I bled the brakes and upon completion of all of this I now want to tackle the issue of the BRAKE light illuminating. The work on the front brakes was just to allow the front wheels to rotate. Hope that clears things up.

Where is the switch you eluded to in a previous post that you advised to disconnect the wire on, is it on the brake pedal or the emergency brake pedal itself?

Thank you
So to clarify, the BRAKE light was on before you changed the calipers?

The BRAKE light gets switched 12V on one side of the bulb from the instrument feed. The other side is grounded one of three ways. There is a ground terminal in the ignition switch that closes that circuit in the START position, as a lamp test. There is the switch on the top of the e-brake pedal that closes the circuit if the e-brake is not fully released. There is the differential pressure switch in the distribution block or combo valve (depending on which you have) that closes the circuit if you loose pressure in half the brake system.

If any of these wires is inadvertently pinched and shorted to ground, the light will stay on.

By the way, is this a factory disc brake car or a conversion? If a conversion, is it possible that the wire to the differential pressure switch was not connected, and possibly shorted out?
Old September 14th, 2017, 12:47 PM

I believe the car is a factory disc but do not know that for sure. One thing I have noticed since I bought the car is that the ignition switch(where the key goes) was replaced and when I turn the key off it is a struggle to get the ignition all the way back to the off position and the ignition switch is hard to depress in to get the key out
Old September 17th, 2017, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I'd bet it was a sticking switch on the e-brake inside the car. Try disconnecting the wire from that switch and see if the light goes out. If it does, there's your culprit - the switch. They're almost identical to the ones for the door jambs.
ALLAN R

where is that switch located? Can you send me a pic so I know what I am looking for.
Old September 17th, 2017, 12:19 PM

I also depressed the emergency brake as far down as I could and then released it and as I released it I also pulled the emergency brake up towards me by hand as far as I could and the light remained on.

Can someone send me a pic as to where the switch is so I can check that out.

Thanks
Old September 17th, 2017, 01:54 PM

It's on the e brake assembly.
Old September 17th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
It's on the e brake assembly.
It will be the only wire going to the e-brake assembly. Pretty easy to spot once you get your head under the dash.
Old September 18th, 2017, 05:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

similar to this

Old September 24th, 2017, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by toymobile
One of 2 things, the equalizer valve is not centered or the E brake peddle is down SOME, Try the E break first if that is not it take the rear brake line loose at the master cyl and mash the brake peddle down, you should hear the valve swap may need to mash really hard, after the valve swaps reattach the line and mash the peddle again, that should center the valve.

Good luck

Johnny
Johnny, I disconnected the rear brake line from the master cylinder with the motor NOT running and mashed the peddle. I did not hear the valve swap and I attached the line back onto the master cylinder and mashed the brake peddle and the light still remains on.

THOUGHTS??
Old September 24th, 2017, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Allan

I disconnected the wire from the E-brake and the BRAKE light still remained on.
Old September 24th, 2017, 04:12 PM
Randy C.

I don't know if this applies or not. If the gauge pod on 7-72 is similar to that of the 68-69, the wire harness plugs into a series of pins in a row. The pin for the brake light in the gauge pod in my '68 is loose and the brake light goes from on to off and back on again. The brakes all work fine but I do have that intermittent brake light glowing in the gauge pod from time to time. Could it be you have the same situation and the pin for the brake light in your gauge pod is sloppy or loose? Just guessing.

Randy C.
Old September 24th, 2017, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Disconnect the wire from the valve under the hood.