Turbo for olds 350

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2014, 10:11 AM

Turbo for olds 350

I have a 1969 olds F85 with a 5.7 L 350 engine. I want to put a supercharger or a turbo on it but I feel like a turbo is too import(y) but I also don't want a supercharger that is visible out of the hood, because I live in ohio and it's very rainy and snowy. Anything helps whatever you think would be better (turbo or supercharger) let me know and what kind of whichever you would recommend.
Old May 7th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

If its a chevy 350 then you have limitless options and cheaper to do. Now if its an olds 350 the turbos would be cheaper than the blower. You could do a procharger which fits under the hood but the bracketry will cost x amount to do since I don't think those mounts are mass produced. Personally I like turbos nothing really importy about them turbo charging in the muscle car world is nothing new guys where doing that stuff back in the day. The diffrence is the technology now is much better.
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:19 AM

Common SBC stuff will not work without customization. A 455 swap might be a cheaper/easier path to the performance gains you want, unless you just want the challenge. There was a thread by a guy who did the SC a few months ago if you search, it was pretty cool.
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:33 AM

I would do a swap but I'm only almost 15 and I have to pay 30-50% of everything I do on my car, so I was just looking to get a cheap(ish) bit of power
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:52 AM

Those good old tailpipe turbos don't give a rat's *** what you're feeding. Cut off your mufflers, insert turbos, run some pipe back towards the engine bay and enjoy yourself until the bottom drops out of your engine.
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:58 PM

if you have the money to do it ,i would super charge it.
Old May 7th, 2014, 05:07 PM

Turbos can be done cheap and be reliable but there is more to it than slapping them on the exhaust. You need extra oil lines , Home made or bought headers or modified manifolds. You will need a different carb for a blow through application or modify one . Roots blowers are much easier so to speak. I have been pondering the thought of doing a turbo build my self and even on a junkyard style turbo build you will easily spend about 1000 bucks and that's with used parts and what not and that's just for the turbo stuff not even the engine.

Last edited by coppercutlass; May 7th, 2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old May 7th, 2014, 05:40 PM

"Importy"? Just and Oldsmobile/Chevrolet trick from 52 years ago. Back in 62-63 Oldsmobile offered a turbocharger on the f85 215. Not compatible with 64 and newer Olds engines. Also 62-66 Chevy Corvairs were available so equipped.

Henry
Old May 7th, 2014, 07:43 PM

Turbo

Its a olds rocket 350, do you have any recommendations for finding a reliable but on-a-budget turbo?

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
If its a chevy 350 then you have limitless options and cheaper to do. Now if its an olds 350 the turbos would be cheaper than the blower. You could do a procharger which fits under the hood but the bracketry will cost x amount to do since I don't think those mounts are mass produced. Personally I like turbos nothing really importy about them turbo charging in the muscle car world is nothing new guys where doing that stuff back in the day. The diffrence is the technology now is much better.
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Administrator

If your not going to build that engine to use a turbo, I whole heartedly suggest against it. I assure you it will not stay together.
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:02 PM

Yep, that was something I worried about but if I do it there will be all parts that need replaced, replaced.
Originally Posted by oldcutlass
If your not going to build that engine to use a turbo, I whole heartedly suggest against it. I assure you it will not stay together.
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:03 PM

For part scrounging it takes a good eye and knowledge to find a decent used turbo that needs no rebuilding. The downside is anything you plan to use whether it be turbo charge or a blower you will need a solid foundation . I don't know how much boost the stock bottom end components will handle . Is the extra cost worth it ? being somewhat realistic here to properly set up a boosted small block will probably run you well over 6k that's with engine work machining and turbos and that's throwing in the possibility to use used parts or scoring deals. You have to figure out what your goals are and what you want to do. If you want to show off and scare the crap out of your passangers a mild 455 will achive that or a pretty wicked small block olds. Im a small block olds fan my self .
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Be smart with your money, and build a nice cruiser. If you think your going to go up against late model Mustangs, Challengers, etc., your going to need deep pockets. A Cutlass with a stock 350 is not going to do it. The most bang for your buck if you want to impress people and your not worried about fuel economy would be a good set of gears and beef up the suspension.
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Another thread about 500Hp olds for $1000.

Find a 455 and put it in that's your cheapest way to more power.
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:22 PM

The 1000 figure I mentioned would have been for just the turbo stuff. My buddy runs an ls3 with twin turbos the turbo set up alone cost him 1300 using used stuff and what not. Then add in all the engine work which I think he has well over 5k into the engine and that's only intake to oil pan. His set up is in an 2000's chevy 1500 shortbed truck runs 10's no too shabby.
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Beer Connoisseur

I wasn't talking about you. I was just saying, every couple of weeks you see a thread about somebody that wants 500hp with a 1k budget.

Remember the other guy that wanted to put a 496 on a 84 4 door with 22" rims.
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:30 PM

I agree, dropping a 455 in there will be cheaper that doing a turbo set-up, but to turbo an engine from today in stock forum is risky, doing it on a stock SBO, I wouldn't even think of it.

If you want to go the FI route, you'll need everything forged including the crank. If you can find a 64-67 330 engine, there's your forged crank. Forged rods aren't too hard to find, you'll want to run the CR on the low side, so you could probably grab a set of "C" heads with the 2.072 intake valves and call it a day. You also want to grab a turbo cam, because it will have more lift on the exhuast side. You should really go with a better spring to avoid coil bind too.

Not saying "Don't do it" but to do it right, you're talking bucks
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:35 PM

yes 70cutty I know what you mean. I don't think even the chevy guys could build 400 hp for 1000. I think car craft built 400 for 2k on a sbc. Im in the 380 hp with my swap meet parts built 355 and even then I spent 3500 .
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by 350TurBRO
I would do a swap but I'm only almost 15 and I have to pay 30-50% of everything I do on my car, so I was just looking to get a cheap(ish) bit of power
Look man, honestly, enjoy the car the way it is. Start with little suspension and brake upgrades to make the car more drivable and safer. Have a goal and work slowly towards it. The car is cool just the way it is.
Old May 10th, 2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Redog
I agree, dropping a 455 in there will be cheaper that doing a turbo set-up, but to turbo an engine from today in stock forum is risky, doing it on a stock SBO, I wouldn't even think of it.

If you want to go the FI route, you'll need everything forged including the crank. If you can find a 64-67 330 engine, there's your forged crank. Forged rods aren't too hard to find, you'll want to run the CR on the low side, so you could probably grab a set of "C" heads with the 2.072 intake valves and call it a day. You also want to grab a turbo cam, because it will have more lift on the exhuast side. You should really go with a better spring to avoid coil bind too.

Not saying "Don't do it" but to do it right, you're talking bucks
Huh?
Most of what you said doesn't make sense.
To clarify, a turbo cam doesn't necessarily need to have more lift on the exhaust side.
Therefore it may not coil bind. But that's not the reason you should change the springs anyway.
By FI did you mean Fuel injection? If so why would that require forged pieces on it's own? If not, an N crank would be fine to 500+. That, along with a quality piston and rod and you'd be fine.
I did a twin turbo 331 Ford that made 530 at the rear wheels with crappy Eagle 5140 rods. It's still running.

Last edited by cutlassefi; May 10th, 2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old May 10th, 2014, 04:31 PM

I think a turbo on an SBO is doable. But you won't be able to "bolt on" this piece to a stock engine. Compression ratio and tuning will be critical along with rod and piston choice. No knock against your age, but I don't know too many people your age with the fabrication skills to tackle such a project. It would certainly be a unique set up though. Not too many people go that route. Good Luck.
Old May 19th, 2014, 07:06 AM

I have a 73 olds 350 in my 81 coupe deville and was thinking about a twin turbo set up. I have no clearence issues whatsoever, so I was thinking why not get a twin turbo kit for a small block chevy then fab the oldsmobile header flanges on the sbc turbo manifolds? What do you guys think?
Old May 19th, 2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by nykid
I have a 73 olds 350 in my 81 coupe deville and was thinking about a twin turbo set up. I have no clearence issues whatsoever, so I was thinking why not get a twin turbo kit for a small block chevy then fab the oldsmobile header flanges on the sbc turbo manifolds? What do you guys think?
Toronado or "A" center dump manifolds, mounted upside down.
Just a wild thought.

At last week's Lansing cruise, a guy showed up with a decidedly homebrew budget twin turbo car. Hats off to him for pulling that off. No air filters though?
Old May 19th, 2014, 06:47 PM

Any of the low compression engines (72 and up for example) should be able to take about 6 or 7 PSI of boost without much fuss.

You will still need a blow-thru carb for it, but I think a pair of small .57 trim turbos, at 6 PSI can get you around 350-400 reliable HP (depending on your tuning). Flip your exhaust manifolds for a hotside setup, you should have enough space in front of the engine for your piping and intercooler, assuming you run electric fans.

You could accomplish this setup for $1500-2000 if you go with Ebay turbos, Ebay fans, Ebay intercooler, and get deals on the rest of the needed stuff...
Old May 20th, 2014, 05:53 AM

I say go for it, just make sure to keep the boost in check and tune it right.
Old May 20th, 2014, 07:17 AM

If you are looking for cheap power I'd say put a set of headers and dual exhaust on your car. Put in some lower gears/posi and a 4 bbl if you dont already have it. If this is not enough power for you then get a bigger cam and a performer intake. I think you will be happy with these mods and they wont cost you $6k.
Old May 20th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Engine Builder

As said you won't find anything at all that is bolt on. If you can't do the fabrication yourself the cost of a project doubles. Just simply the way it is. But I see no reason why a stock short block and a small turbo that is limited to 4 or 5lbs of boost wouldn't live if taken care of.

Now for the part you probably don't want to hear. Your almost old enough for drivers license and you want a killer fast ride. Forget it for while. Learn to drive what you have and keep it out of the ditches. That inclement weather you mentioned is twice as hard to deal with when you add torque and power to the mix of a 4000# sled. Save your cash and get a few years under your belt without having problems. Then upgrade your ride. I've seen too many young guys take their own lives on Ohio's winter roads. Almost did it a time or two myself 30 years ago. Today's traffic just isn't as forgiving because there is just too much of it.
Old May 28th, 2014, 03:34 AM

Best advice you can get right there. We were all 15 and dreaming at one point. I'm 32 now and have made my way through a stroker motored Jeep, Cobra Mustang, and a 600hp Skyline. I got wrapped up too many times trying g to throw money at the cars instead of tryng to enjoy them. Also, I don't thi k you realize the boat loads of mo ey you are going to need. Probably way more than you paid for the car. Supporting mods frequently cost more than the turbo install itself. I would advise spending your time/mo ney on getting the car running tip top, looking good, and enjoy cruising in it for a few years. A little later down the road you can decide if a modified classic is what you want for your fast ride and proceed feom there. It's going to take a lot to hang with even bone stock Mustang GT's nowadays.
Old May 28th, 2014, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by 70cutty
Look man, honestly, enjoy the car the way it is. Start with little suspension and brake upgrades to make the car more drivable and safer. Have a goal and work slowly towards it. The car is cool just the way it is.

I have to disagree with this 100%. If you're getting help [from parent I presume], now is the time to go big and enjoy it. (Sorry to all the parents on the board). It's way cheaper now. I wish It'd have had the opportunity when I was 16/17. I had to pay for everything myself.

If you want to be different and 'charge it, do it! Or drop in a 455 with mild modifications and enjoy it. Nothing you do to that 350 'bolt on' is going to give you enough to keep up with any mustang/Camaro/challenger/charger etc with anything decent under the hood that you encounter. I've learned this, and now I'm collecting the parts for an LS swap so my 72 can finally have some oomph(yes, I realize a 69 350 has a little bit more power than a stock 72, but not enough to write home about). Headers/full exhaust, and a 3.73 posi aren't going to help all that much. It'll feel faster 0-60, but you wont like the rpms you're turning while trying to get somewhere on the highway.

Make the car how you want it. Don't waste time "enjoying it as it is". The car looks cool, sitting in a parking lot, until you pull out from a stop light and romp on it, and grandma is in a 280hp Camry next to you and she pulls away from you like a bat out of hell. If you don't spend the time and money on it now to make it what you want, it'll always be a disappointment. A thorn in your side if you will, you'll grow to resent the car, probably lose interest and get rid of it. Jump on it now, while the excitement is fresh and the interest is there.

Just be smart about driving in bad weather. Most accidents with youths in "High Horsepower Cars" are operator error, the kid doing something stupid like trying to power slide through a corner in a downpour.

When I bought my new daily driver, someone on the board gave me advice I'll never forget. They told me "You'll never remember how much you spent on the car, but you'll remember that you bought what you wanted and you enjoyed it". If you upgrade the driveline and you decide it's too much, or it's too expensive, buy a $200 beater to use daily and save the f-85. Or sell it, but don't be afraid to upgrade the car to enjoy it more.

Last edited by jpc647; May 28th, 2014 at 10:02 AM. Reason: server timed out had to retype part of message
Old June 2nd, 2014, 10:22 AM

"350turBro"
only 15.
turbos are apparently "importy".

This isn't going to happen.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 09:59 PM

Man this place is getting up tight. Thank god I joined well after I ventured off on my own. Otherwise I would have gotten discouraged . To think I have built junk that actually lasted way longer than a break in period . The problem with this place is you either do it their way or don't bother asking. When I was 15 I built a sbc . I didn't know jack squat but I learned what parts look like what to do and I just dove right in. No one told we don't waste your time or build something else. I'm sure if he is serious he will research it elsewhere and he wil see what work is involved and price. You don't just start slaping crap together with no initial plan. Even I plan my junk builds. You have wayyyy to many people being overly cautious and not enough people saying sack up the only way to find out is if you do it ut in reality once the part planning is involved one would probably back off. Sheesh you got remember you had to crawl before you walked and in between you fell down a few times keep that in mind. Sorry for the rant but any time anyone asks about something it turns into a don't do it play it safe story and get so far off topic. Although I agree with most of what was said I think he will get a reality check once he hashes out a plan.

Last edited by coppercutlass; June 3rd, 2014 at 03:45 AM.
Old June 12th, 2014, 11:09 PM

I'm only almost 15
dude forget this crap. do your schooling and get into a good college.
Old June 13th, 2014, 05:12 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Honestly after building MANY turbo cars both domestic and import I would HIGHLY recommend just building a strong reliable naturally aspirated motor. Forced induction while REALLY cool adds a whole new dimension to the build both mechanically and with fuel/air mixture. There is no proper way to do a “cheap” forced induction engine unless you like replacing bottom ends.

You mentioned you were young and on a limited budget. Why start off with a more costly and complicated setup when you can have plenty of fun with a healthy V8?
Old July 28th, 2014, 11:24 AM

Thanks to everyone, I was just wondering about general opinions, and won't turbocharge my 350. My engine has begun to run a little choppy, so if it ever decides to grenade, a 455 will be on the list as a replacement. Some had really great advice, but I'm just trying to get ideas just like I'm sure all of you were at my age and maybe even now. Sorry if I don't know everything about olds like you all do but don't be a dick. You know who you are and just stop. Thanks again to all of those who had useful information.
Old July 28th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Beer Connoisseur

IMO for any olds owner that's trying get more power BBO is the way to go. Forget about turbo, build a nice 455 and every time you step on the gas --> .

No offense copper I know you like your SBO, I am just saying that a mild 455 will make tones of torque and still be very, very street friendly.
Old July 28th, 2014, 04:34 PM

To bad so many shot this thread down. I had all the parts and info I needed to turbo a 350 Olds. It really isn't that expensive to do it on your own. Get a set of thick exhaust flanges like $50. then buy some weld els and build yourself a set of log type manifolds. A cheap Ebay turbo, wastegate, and BOV and there you go. Most Olds V8's are around 8 to 1 compression ratio which is great for a turbo. No reason you couldn't safely boost 7 psi. Your biggest decision is wether to go blow thru carb or switch to EFI. You biggest problem is that the Olds heads suck. They really don't make much power past 7 psi with a well built motor. I was going to do a 375 stroker and a friend did a computer sim and topped out at 500hp/500tq at 7 psi all because of head restriction. I suppose a set of aluminum BB heads would solve that. If my medical problems and bills would not have gotten in the way I would still be building this.
Old July 28th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Can you build a turbo setup cheaply? cheap is relative but yes it can be done. Just because you can build something cheap doesn't mean you should. Forced induction is not an area you skimp in. Doing it on the cheap is a great way to grenade a motor which will cost you more in the long run.

Thanks for the laugh though that computer sim thing was funny! Not sure why the heads would cause a problem the whole point of forced induction is you are forcing the air and fuel into the cylinder.

Originally Posted by The Stickman
To bad so many shot this thread down. I had all the parts and info I needed to turbo a 350 Olds. It really isn't that expensive to do it on your own. Get a set of thick exhaust flanges like $50. then buy some weld els and build yourself a set of log type manifolds. A cheap Ebay turbo, wastegate, and BOV and there you go. Most Olds V8's are around 8 to 1 compression ratio which is great for a turbo. No reason you couldn't safely boost 7 psi. Your biggest decision is wether to go blow thru carb or switch to EFI. You biggest problem is that the Olds heads suck. They really don't make much power past 7 psi with a well built motor. I was going to do a 375 stroker and a friend did a computer sim and topped out at 500hp/500tq at 7 psi all because of head restriction. I suppose a set of aluminum BB heads would solve that. If my medical problems and bills would not have gotten in the way I would still be building this.
Old July 28th, 2014, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
Can you build a turbo setup cheaply? cheap is relative but yes it can be done. Just because you can build something cheap doesn't mean you should. Forced induction is not an area you skimp in. Doing it on the cheap is a great way to grenade a motor which will cost you more in the long run.

Thanks for the laugh though that computer sim thing was funny! Not sure why the heads would cause a problem the whole point of forced induction is you are forcing the air and fuel into the cylinder.

No you're right better to be one of the sheep.
Old July 28th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Stickman we were trying to point OP, who is 15 years old, in a right direction. Building a turbo requires some expertise and a it can get expensive. Building a turbo olds requires a lot more expertise and money, since there is no kit, no bolt on turbos and manifolds, etc. it would require a lot of custom parts.

Nobody is saying that turbo sbo wouldn't be cool and original, not a lot of them out there. Just not very doable for somebody on a limited budget and not so experienced.
Old July 28th, 2014, 08:07 PM

You can do it cheap but cheap thrills are short lived and its the nature of the beast I know it first hand.

Quick Reply: Turbo for olds 350