Trying to overcome an addiction

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2013, 03:47 PM

Trying to overcome an addiction

After suffering a heart attack 3 weeks ago. Then having them go in the heart and "fix" the hole they found. I have had even more problems than I've had over the years in the last 3 weeks. It's time to get out of racing.........period! I sold my car this morning......was tough to do since I have owned it for 32 years and raced it for the last 29. My close friend Jok bought it, so it stayed close to home. Very sad for me.

I posted in this forum because this is the main one I read.
Old September 9th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Administrator

So sorry to hear, I too have been going through some similar issues. With all sincerity I hope all works out for you.
Old September 9th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Sorry to hear that . Atleast it's in good hands . I can't imagine it being an easy thing to let go of.
Old September 9th, 2013, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
After suffering a heart attack 3 weeks ago. Then having them go in the heart and "fix" the hole they found. I have had even more problems than I've had over the years in the last 3 weeks. It's time to get out of racing.........period! I sold my car this morning......was tough to do since I have owned it for 32 years and raced it for the last 29. My close friend Jok bought it, so it stayed close to home. Very sad for me.

I posted in this forum because this is the main one I read.
hope you continue to find time to participate here your knowledge is very valuable to all of us. Stay involved in some capacity I understand how your feeling as I had attack a number of years ago, had to give up my first love of hockey. That's how I got into this mess.

take care and in touch
Old September 9th, 2013, 04:57 PM

Wow. Sorry to hear about the heart problem. Also sorry to see you lost your car. It must have been stressfull even to do that. Hope you well and take it easy.
Old September 9th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wow. I'm very sorry to hear that.

I hope that, without racing, you keep your knowledge and skills at work within the Olds (or at least the antique car) community and continue to enjoy life and prosper.

What's with the heart attacks and passings-away of major posters here over the past year or so, anyway? I mean, aside from age and lifelong bad habits?
I'm starting to feel a bit spooked.

Get well soon!

- Eric
Old September 9th, 2013, 08:33 PM

That is sad news about your car

But, obviously, your health is far more important. As others have said, I hope we continue to see you active on this site. You are very knowledgeable.

Take care of yourself.
Old September 9th, 2013, 11:16 PM

Sorry to here that, at least a friend bought it and you can still see the car run. I hope all is good with your health and that you are on the mend.
Take care
Bernhard
Old September 9th, 2013, 11:56 PM

Sorry to hear that. At least you were able to sell it (unlike me) and wil lstill be able to see (and enjoy) it from time to time.
I hope all goes well on the heart front.
Old September 10th, 2013, 06:50 AM

Thanks guys, but things are coming to the point of no return. There is no getting better........it's just a matter of time. Been diabetic for 48 years with heart problems the last 20-25 years. I had an attack 4 years ago but came thru that in good shape. The normal refraction rate for a heart (ability to pump blood) is 70%..........my rate is 5-10%. Had been for a while. On my 4 th defibrillator/pacemaker. Nine years ago they told me I would be dead within two years, but I have fought and fought and stuck around (maybe that explains my attitude on here sometimes?) The diabetes has taken a lot of feelings from my hands and feet. I am literally half blind.

So that means I have been fighting off this day for a looong time. Sorry for the rant.
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

An EF of 5-10% is a very bad thing, and I am very sorry to hear it.
I'm sure you'll agree, it's something you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.
It makes the simplest things into hard work, so it makes good sense that you'd need to pass some of your hardware along.

I won't say "Get well soon," as that would be stupid, but I will say that your assistance and presence on here have been helpful to many, and we would all be glad to have you around whenever you feel up to it.

- Eric
Old September 10th, 2013, 09:33 AM

I'm very sorry to hear about your health situation. Is a transplant an option?
Old September 10th, 2013, 09:48 AM
MOTORHEAD

glad the cutlass stayed in the 2olds guys racing family
take care olds man
Old September 10th, 2013, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by RandyS
I'm very sorry to hear about your health situation. Is a transplant an option?
I was on a list for a while, but my mind wouldn't handle someone dying so I could live. Going to talk to some docs tomorrow about a heart pump.........but I didn't want one 6 yrs ago. Doubt if I have changed my mind.
Old September 10th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Just my 2¢, from someone who has been lucky enough to not have had to think of this for myself or a family member, but, if you're potentially eligible for a transplant list, while it's true that someone needs to die for the transplant to occur, you have nothing to do with what happens to them - they'd have met with misfortune whether you were on the list or not, and it's really a matter of whether they'll be able to make a contribution after their time has come (which they've already indicated that they want to do, by signing up), or whether they'll just go to the worms.

Not to be crass, as I know there's no real comparison, and I'm sure someone has said this before, but it's like if you totalled a car with a great engine - it would be a waste to just junk it, but if you part it out, someone else gets the benefit, and the motor you worked so hard on gets to go on.

I have a friend from college who was born with a bad heart. In his twenties, he went through three transplants before one worked, but now he's got a family and a career, and he's grateful to the donors who helped him to stay alive, and finally to do well.

- Eric
Old September 10th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Old School Olds

Well put Eric.
Thoughts and prayers are with you sir.
Old September 10th, 2013, 11:40 AM

I am sorry to hear about your health situation. It's your call but one should really consider the heart transplant. Precious is any extra time one can spend with family & friends. Good luck, Ken
Old September 10th, 2013, 12:20 PM

I'm sorry but it is my life. I have had to fight my health for most of my adult life and I'm tired of it. When God decides he wants me, I'm not going to fight him too.
Old September 10th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Mr. Johnson

best of luck and health 380.
Old September 10th, 2013, 01:23 PM

spending time with your family has most likely become the top thing on your list. You have been a very active contributor to this forum and for that we all thank you. Hope you stick around and continue with your assistance and comments

Best wishes

Pat
Old September 11th, 2013, 01:39 PM

Damn, Nick, sorry to hear this. In a semi-related subject, heath was a reason I too sold/gave away my stuff and am done. I'm, 51, 6'3", 205, great shape, and was diagnosed with cancer in July, had surgery on Thursday to remove my prostate. I caught it early (Boys, get you Preventative maintenance done!!!!! Colonascopy and PSA tests) and should live a long life, but it puts things in perspective and makes to re-evaluate. I realised I just wasn't enjoying the hobby any longer. Hope the technological advancements in medicine will present some new and better options for you. If not, that you enjoy the time that you do have. Besides, you are too damn ornery to pass on!
Old September 11th, 2013, 03:38 PM

Holy crap Jim . Sorry to hear that but I do hope they got it all? I lost my son-in-law back in July, complete surprise in a single cycle accident..........it just goes to show that there are no guarantees for tomorrow. Hope you see plenty more tomorrows.........I'd say I'm not alone in that ornery club.........LOL.
Old September 11th, 2013, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
Holy crap Jim . Sorry to hear that but I do hope they got it all? I lost my son-in-law back in July, complete surprise in a single cycle accident..........it just goes to show that there are no guarantees for tomorrow. Hope you see plenty more tomorrows.........I'd say I'm not alone in that ornery club.........LOL.
Yeah, 2 mean old fvckers!! LOL Luckily they did get it all, parhology came back heg on surrounding tissue. But, I caught it early because I stayed on top of it. Early prevention is the only defense. Both colon and prostate cancer are nearly 100 % curable. No guarantees, for sure, gotta have fun while you are here.
Old September 11th, 2013, 05:47 PM

Geez guys sorry to hear. I'm 54 and so far, in decent health, although sometime in the next couple of years I'll be installing a new left hip due to arthritis. It's already bone on bone but the supplements are definitely helping.

I wish the both of you all the best. Keep punching back, my father in law was 92 when he died and as ornery as the day is long.

Best of luck gentlemen!!!!

Last edited by cutlassefi; September 13th, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old September 12th, 2013, 04:51 PM

yes guys all get well and feel better, we men often think were invincible until something hits us, get in and have a tuneup its an hour of your time.

BOL TO ALL
Old September 19th, 2013, 03:41 PM

X2 on the PSA test captJim, I was diagnosed a few months ago. And like you, it is very early. I took up running (I'm 51 also) and have been eating right and minimizing stress as much as possible. My last three PSA tests have seen my number drop! Doc says that's not supposed to happen, cancer doesn't just go away. But it's the reason I'm here, working on the bucket list and having an Olds was near the top.
380 Racer, I don't know you but I've been reading your posts for the last couple of months and always enjoy what you have to say. I know what it's like to feel "done". I walked around for four years with a 24/7 blinding migraine until they discovered I had broken my neck. So yeah, I came close a couple of times. But it sounds like you fought a good fight and had some enjoyment along the way. If you really do decide to yield to the inevitable, I wish you well on your journey to the great racetrack in the sky. Go with no regrets. My thoughts are with you and your family.
-Mac

Last edited by Macadoo; September 19th, 2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old September 19th, 2013, 05:24 PM

Sorry to here that your health is failing Nick take care and enjoy your family and friends God Bless

Jim sorry to here that you have cancer I hope that you have it beaten and are now cancer free take care and God bless.
Old September 21st, 2013, 10:40 AM

I think I am a pretty tough guy, and almost started to shed tears when I read the first post. I'm sorry for you brother and my thoughts and prayers are with you. I am a racer (like a Marine--- you are never NOT a racer) and would've loved to had a chance at your car---I hope the friend LOVES it as much as you. Racing is a little like life itself, it takes a strong commitment from not only the owner/driver, but the entire group of family and associated people. The work, costs, and time become a way of life, and like a pain or a disease, the only people who know or understand it all are the people who have it and live it.
I pray for you, sir and may God provide you only the best for you and your family. You have to play the cards you are dealt and do the best you can with what you have to work with.
Your knowledge and kind words here have not only helped, but inspired many. The Oldsmobile and racing fraternity will be behind you with whatever decision you decide to make regarding a possible transplant. You and only you can make that decision----you must do what YOU think is best for YOU. God bless.
Old September 21st, 2013, 12:28 PM

I'll say it like it is; that sucks. Big time. Judging by what you've accomplished, you certainly haven't squandered the time you've been given - however much you've had to fight for it.

I hope you get as much out of the time you have left, as you have so far - and that's it's a loooong time.
Old September 21st, 2013, 07:55 PM
jfb

I hope you are not selling the car you wrecked last year but I could be wrong maybe. I say if you did fix that wrecked car from last year I would at least of kept it, I feel since it is our true passion it should leave its soul with you,I had problems my self and my baby will never leave my hands regardless and I will forever till the end soldier on with it period.
Old September 21st, 2013, 08:23 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Jfb I think you are thinking of the red engle car.