Short Deck block Oldsmobile

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2022, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
You misunderstood me. You made claims of the rocket block holding up to 2000 HP which no one has done . That claim has been made based on manufacturing not actual testing. . That's what I was getting at. Relax sir it's not that big of a deal. We sit here and talk about reliability but they majority of the cars we call fast in our olds world fall into the mid to low 10 sec range . Guys have been doing that with reliability for a while now. So for the average guy the stock stuff is still plenty. I prefer the SBO in that arena because of its construction and capabilities over the BBO. The rocket block brings alot to the table. Sooooo much no one has really tapped into it outside of a few people. And by that I mean running some serious numbers. Anything low 9's and faster in the olds world is considered amazing still . And those cars are few and far and in between.
Wrong, I never said here the rocket black has made 2000hp

Just didn’t.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 03:30 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

You still missed my point. I didn't say you said all that. I comment on the claims about it handling 2k when no one has pushed it to 2k. You needed to read just past the point where I explain what they claim it can handle and what it will are 2 different things. I assume who ever is casting the block for RRP has reasons to make these claims with experience but until it's done it's up in the air.

Last edited by coppercutlass; January 23rd, 2022 at 03:33 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
what a clown you are..because someone blows your need for an aluminum block down the toilet, you say it’s negative?

what have you ever done to make you think you need a new aluminum small block that cant be done with the blocks available now?

let’s hear about your accomplishments in the Olds engine world..they must be quite something.

when you show us you broken either of the blocks available now, I’ll change my mind 🤣🤣🤣🤣
So now you want to get personal? When it is just a suggestion that this is a option and a discussion of possible advantages of having something built. Let's put the shoe on your foot and see how it fits. What's your claim to Fame? Enlighten me . With what is known by just about everyone except YOU that a aluminum block reduces weight plus you could build a platform that would exceed what is now available from stock blocks. Isn't that what rocket racing did with there new block made it better than a stock 455 platform. Is it too far of a stretch to consider that something similar in a short deck deck block and aluminum. I don't think so .

Last edited by wr1970; January 23rd, 2022 at 04:55 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 03:48 PM

Not nearly as much? Then use the plentiful diesel.

the 350 gas block is very light for its size compared to other engines of similar cubes .

the 350 gas block compared to the 455 block is actually a stronger piece.

the 350 has a shorter deck height which means the cyl walls have more support over its length.

it’s cyl walls are very thick…the main webbing is beefier just because it’s mains are smaller.

the 350 gas block can support MORE power than the 455 block with the same prep..that’s a fact.

look at that 403 on here that just made 680 , that’s with paper thin cyl walls compared to the 350 and windowed mains…it had a girdle.

with that known, there is no reason the early 350 gas block can’t support 800, 900 or a 1000 hp.
Okay genius here you are flapping your big mouth but you can't prove it can you. Early gas block stated by you where is that engine. These engine have been around for a long time. Show us! For the second time of me pointing it out what you said . 800,900,1000. Remember I said Tester did it na with a Nascar block .900 ask him if you want because I did talk to him about it before he went to a different brand of engine.

Last edited by wr1970; January 23rd, 2022 at 03:51 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 04:40 PM

I remember when I used to always be mad on the internet.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 04:51 PM

I remember when I used to always be mad on the internet.
I am not mad but there is a candidate. And he has no album. Plus making comments real personal. 😂 Is this Velcro with a different handle hmm. Maybe his twin.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by wr1970
Okay genius here you are flapping your big mouth but you can't prove it can you. Early gas block stated by you where is that engine. These engine have been around for a long time. Show us! For the second time of me pointing it out what you said . 800,900,1000. Remember I said Tester did it na with a Nascar block .900 ask him if you want because I did talk to him about it before he went to a different brand of engine.
So just because you haven’t found it,,, it cant be done?

will you only build it if someone else has built it before? I stated facts about the diesel block and gas block,, all you have to do is look with your eyes… have you never figured something out for yourself , even with some advice from someone pointing you in the right direction?

you are definitely a follower

Old January 23rd, 2022, 11:46 PM

I'm along here with this. However small block guys do have an avenue with a diesel block. They can be built to some crazy numbers. Yes it would be amazing if these new blocks could be made in aluminum but very few customers. Probably not economically feasible. We can all wish to the moon about what we would like to see happen but be glad we have now something reasonably new. Otherwise go find an experimental aluminum block and build and and race it. I sure would not do that. Hell I had a complete W43 Hemi in my garage for 6 months and could not come to putting it in a car.
Old January 24th, 2022, 02:52 AM

How many Rocket blocks have been sold? Who's going to pony up $10k for an aluminum small block?
Old January 24th, 2022, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by fleming442
How many Rocket blocks have been sold? Who's going to pony up $10k for an aluminum small block?
You would have to ask John at rocket racing. How many have been sold. Your questions are valid if there was a intention of someone developing a new block as far as I know there is not . It's a discussion nothing more .

Last edited by wr1970; January 24th, 2022 at 05:24 AM.
Old January 24th, 2022, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by 66SportCoupe
I'm along here with this. However small block guys do have an avenue with a diesel block. They can be built to some crazy numbers. Yes it would be amazing if these new blocks could be made in aluminum but very few customers. Probably not economically feasible. We can all wish to the moon about what we would like to see happen but be glad we have now something reasonably new. Otherwise go find an experimental aluminum block and build and and race it. I sure would not do that. Hell I had a complete W43 Hemi in my garage for 6 months and could not come to putting it in a car.
Good points . Why were you not able to make the decision on the W34 ? Was it because it was so rare?
Old January 24th, 2022, 07:45 AM

Good points . Why were you not able to make the decision on the W34 ? Was it because it was so rare?
Yes too rare to use it. It's the one in the chassis in the museum.
Old January 24th, 2022, 07:51 AM
Duh

Old January 24th, 2022, 08:20 AM

🤣🤣🤣
Old January 24th, 2022, 08:30 AM

No the diesel block supply are still available. But have you seen a new aluminum in a SBO platform recently? As far as I know there isn't. So I guess what's your point or do you think this is a bad ideal? I think a up grade is way over due. Jmo
for the last time I’ll ask and answer this last question about “I think a upgrade is way overdue”

Are the gas 350 blocks coming apart at a certain power level ?

answer; no

if that ever happened in the history of the universe, the diesel block should have been the choice in the first place.

from; your friendly pro small block activist 😁😁😁

Old January 24th, 2022, 08:45 AM

for the last time I’ll ask and answer this last question about “I think a upgrade is way overdue”

Are the gas 350 blocks coming apart at a certain power level ?

answer; no

if that ever happened in the history of the universe, the diesel block should have been the choice in the first place.

from; your friendly pro small block activist 😁😁😁
For the last time I will ask where is those early 350 engines 800/900/1000 hp.

Last edited by wr1970; January 24th, 2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old January 24th, 2022, 08:50 AM

I know the title to the thread says short deck but I think there was a spelling error. 😂😂😂
Old January 24th, 2022, 09:07 AM

i know the title to the thread says short deck but i think there was a spelling error. 😂😂😂
😂😂😂😂
Old January 24th, 2022, 09:14 AM

For the last time I will ask where is those early 350 engines 800/900/1000 hp.
It's one of my retirement projects. I'm sitting on 2 gas 350s, a 330, and a 66 f-85 i like to call "future racecar".
Old January 24th, 2022, 10:57 AM

It's one of my retirement projects. I'm sitting on 2 gas 350s, a 330, and a 66 f-85 i like to call "future racecar".
Good for you . Now think about this If Tester gave up on a Nascar block at his words 900 hp. Bill travoto gave up the small block what makes you think you can do better with a 350 gas block factory? The reason I ask is you quoted me. Stands to reason many use the Nascar,D,DX. If you are not going all out not expecting to see that much hp then again good for you . Your car your motors do what you want.
Old January 24th, 2022, 11:18 AM

You forgot about Lauer. Tester was NA on alcohol, and wanted to go faster, cheaper, and stay NA.
Lauer and Travato were both spraying nos. As far as I know, they both wanted newer cars to stay competitive in class racing. I would speculate that it had more to do with suspension and safety than engine choice.
There's also the "been there/done that" aspect. Maybe they just wanted something different? Who knows? It doesn't matter.
Old January 24th, 2022, 12:30 PM

Good for you . Now think about this If Tester gave up on a Nascar block at his words 900 hp. Bill travoto gave up the small block what makes you think you can do better with a 350 gas block factory? The reason I ask is you quoted me. Stands to reason many use the Nascar,D,DX. If you are not going all out not expecting to see that much hp then again good for you . Your car your motors do what you want.
You havent got a clue what you're talking about. Bill was making about 750 na and 1400 sprayed at 403 cubes. Tester was competing against big inch chevies making way more than he could muster while na...he wanted to stay na so he went BBC. The Hunts twin turbo dragster making over 2000 for years....

Bill went LS in a new Camaro to prove he could build other engines as well. he couldnt just survive on the cheap *** Olds crowd

None of these things would have changed with an aluminum short deck,,none. get your head out of your *** ,,im not talking about the gas 350 replacing the diesel for a huge hp build,,i never said that at all. the 350 can make just as much, or more, as a factory 455 block because of the reasons pointed out.

now dont ask again about wanting to see one,,,thats childish

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; January 24th, 2022 at 01:06 PM.
Old January 24th, 2022, 01:23 PM

Here’s a nothing special gas 350 block with factory 2 bolt main caps …using a factory crank stroked to 3.490” for 373 cubes

off the shelf pistons. Headers way to big, cam not ideal for the circumstances. As cast intake, 750 Holley.

590hp I threw this together in less than a month with parts I had laying around here .

it could actually run on premium 94 pump gas

On Trovato’s dyno

On the Race Engine Challenge Dyno

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; January 24th, 2022 at 01:38 PM.
Old January 24th, 2022, 01:42 PM

I have no idea how this thing stayed together,,, should have had my helmet and face mask on during the dyno pulls

i took big chances on this one,,standing beside it at 7500 rpm,,,how stupid of me... especially when i took it to 8500 just for fun.....sad to say, it didnt make any more power up there

1.58 hp per cube for a thrown together piece isnt bad i guess for a gas 350 block and crank? maybe wr1970 can give me some pointers on what to do to improve my skills?

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; January 24th, 2022 at 01:54 PM.
Old January 24th, 2022, 01:53 PM

You havent got a clue what you're talking about. Bill was making about 750 na and 1400 sprayed at 403 cubes. Tester was competing against big inch chevies making way more than he could muster while na...he wanted to stay na so he went BBC. The Hunts twin turbo dragster making over 2000 for years....

Bill went LS in a new Camaro to prove he could build other engines as well. he couldnt just survive on the cheap *** Olds crowd

None of these things would have changed with an aluminum short deck,,none. get your head out of your *** ,,im not talking about the gas 350 replacing the diesel for a huge hp build,,i never said that at all. the 350 can make just as much, or more, as a factory 455 block because of the reasons pointed out.

now dont ask again about wanting to see one,,,thats childish
Hey talk about blabbing blah blah blah you fit the bill . Trying to stir a pot. I know about the hunts dragster. I know all those three guy's you mentioned and they know more you you do. They were not using any early 350 gas block .Your greatness.
Old January 24th, 2022, 01:55 PM

You forgot about Lauer. Tester was NA on alcohol, and wanted to go faster, cheaper, and stay NA.
Lauer and Travato were both spraying nos. As far as I know, they both wanted newer cars to stay competitive in class racing. I would speculate that it had more to do with suspension and safety than engine choice.
There's also the "been there/done that" aspect. Maybe they just wanted something different? Who knows? It doesn't matter.
Q16 was testers fuel. I didn't forget about Dave Lauer.

Last edited by wr1970; January 24th, 2022 at 02:03 PM.
Old January 24th, 2022, 02:00 PM

I have no idea how this thing stayed together,,, should have had my helmet and face mask on during the dyno pulls

i took big chances on this one,,standing beside it at 7500 rpm,,,how stupid of me... especially when i took it to 8500 just for fun.....sad to say, it didnt make any more power up there

1.58 hp per cube for a thrown together piece isnt bad i guess for a gas 350 block and crank? maybe wr1970 can give me some pointers on what to do to improve my skills?
What I can point out is you flapping about engines that don't have what you claimed as gas early 350 800,900,1000 hp. Getting a little upset and unsettled aren't you 😂
Old January 24th, 2022, 02:04 PM

Hey talk about blabbing blah blah blah you fit the bill . Trying to stir a pot. I know about the hunts dragster. I know all those three guy's you mentioned and they know more you you do. They were not using any early 350 gas block .Your greatness.
hey, how are you doing today? can you quote where i said i know more than them and where i said they were using a gas 350 block?

ill wait here for your response..................i think i may be waiting a very long time
Old January 24th, 2022, 02:06 PM

hey, how are you doing today? can you quote where i said i know more than them and where i said they were using a gas 350 block?

ill wait here for your response..................i think i may be waiting a very long time
I'm standing by your 7,500 350 early gas engine on a dyno and I can't hear you😂 blah blah blah
Old January 24th, 2022, 02:08 PM

of course you didnt,,you didnt ever forget anything................................except that they probably hung up the phone on you! then said to themselves, what a moron
Old January 24th, 2022, 02:10 PM

I'm standing by your 7,500 350 early gas engine on a dyno and I can't hear you😂 blah blah blah
is that like putting your fingers in your ears and saying blah blah blah blah?
Old January 24th, 2022, 02:11 PM

well,,what do you think of my gas 350? i need your thoughts and opinions so i can improve my engine building skills
Old January 24th, 2022, 02:21 PM

well,,what do you think of my gas 350? i need your thoughts and opinions so i can improve my engine building skills
I would say you did okay with your gas engine but you still talk to much crap . The point of your statement. Can't you read what you wrote. Instead you want to insult. Blah blah blah
Old January 24th, 2022, 02:37 PM

What are we trying to prove again 🤣🤣 jebuzzz. Everyone relax go rub one out and calm your mind for a few seconds.
Old January 24th, 2022, 03:03 PM

Tester was not on Q16 he was on M5.
Old January 24th, 2022, 03:26 PM

What are we trying to prove again 🤣🤣 jebuzzz. Everyone relax go rub one out and calm your mind for a few seconds.

someone should have told you that in the rocket racing block post,,when you couldnt get over yourself talking about why you think its not needed.

which lead to this stupid post about needing an aftermarket short deck block. there isnt anyone on here here who walks around like a peacock more than you.

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; January 24th, 2022 at 03:30 PM.
Old January 24th, 2022, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by chadman
Tester was not on Q16 he was on M5.
When talked to him on old ROP last Q16 was what he said and was arguing with Miller.
Old January 24th, 2022, 03:33 PM

someone should have told you that in the rocket racing block post,,when you couldnt get over yourself talking about why you think its not needed.

which lead to this stupid post about needing an aftermarket short deck block. there isnt anyone on here here who walks around like a peacock more than you.
See talking smack to other guys. Ok copper I am out this one is yours.
Old January 24th, 2022, 04:01 PM

When talked to him on old ROP last Q16 was what he said and was arguing with Miller.
No, that was M5 they were arguing about.
Old January 24th, 2022, 04:18 PM

Quick 16 is a money class, not a fuel.

Quick Reply: Short Deck block Oldsmobile