Pro comp heads on a race engine

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2015, 07:17 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Too bad the fastest of the fastest did it with battens. Neely do you have the numbers reflecting your gains? Curious to know the difference. Neely that's a huge gain to state with out back up. I don't think there is 6 tenths between the two .maybe if they where fully ported but the Benifits aluminium have over stock I don't think will net that gain unless your old heads where roached

Last edited by coppercutlass; November 29th, 2015 at 07:23 AM.
Old November 29th, 2015, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Too bad the fastest of the fastest did it with battens.
Why is it "too bad"?? Battens are an all-out race head, they should make the most power. As for his .6 gain, all it shows is that with his combination on that day, it went .6 faster. I doubt that he changed the heads at the track on the same day, so track conditions and weather were certainly a factor.
Old November 29th, 2015, 07:41 AM

Too bad the fastest of the fastest did it with battens. Neely do you have the numbers reflecting your gains? Curious to know the difference. Neely that's a huge gain to state with out back up. I don't think there is 6 tenths between the two .maybe if they where fully ported but the Benifits aluminium have over stock I don't think will net that gain unless your old heads where roached
Think what you want! I told you i did both on the same motor the c heads were not roached and i stand behind that statement. The ebrocks are still being used not ported. I have a buddy that knows i did that but not proof to you. Time slips not proof to you. Just how do i prove it copper. I guess what ever i say you consider it a lie!That is arrogant coming from a guy who has not used both parts don't you think.Like you said yourself track results and that is what was done.
Old November 29th, 2015, 07:47 AM

No need to go overboard there. But if the edelbrock heads flow pretty equal to c castings how can you gain 6 tenths. That's one he'll of a gain and I'm sorry I just don't see it based on all the info stacking irons vs aluminum . Specially considering they where untouched. If you could gain 6 tenths that easy wouldn't this info be more out there and available. That's a very significant gain .

Last edited by coppercutlass; November 29th, 2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old November 29th, 2015, 08:01 AM

Although I am big on track times I feel that a comparison like that should have documentation like I have been doing with my trips to the track mentioning what's been done. I do care about track numbers but certain things need to be documented specially when the gains where very significant. People don't belive I gained almost 2 tenths with an x pipe it was more if you consider I ran it with mufflers. But I did . A little documentation a long way but I did that before I joined any forum.
Old November 29th, 2015, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by captjim
Why is it "too bad"?? Battens are an all-out race head, they should make the most power. As for his .6 gain, all it shows is that with his combination on that day, it went .6 faster. I doubt that he changed the heads at the track on the same day, so track conditions and weather were certainly a factor.
Jim that is why i said two tenths and i would say they were equal.You are right no way were these done on the same day. My nephew was with me the second time i went out and he 25. My buddy and i went to Tulsa he tagged along. My nephew knew i had run 11.78 with iron heads. He didn't know what the car would run with the ebrocks. It went 11.25 on back to back runs in time trials.

Last edited by wr1970; November 29th, 2015 at 08:52 AM. Reason: in haste to respond the 11.78 should have been 11.87 et
Old November 29th, 2015, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
Jim that is why i said two tenths and i would say they were equal.You are right no way were these done on the same day. My nephew was with me the second time i went out and he 25. My buddy and i went to Tulsa he tagged along. My nephew knew i had run 11.78 with iron heads. He didn't know what the car would run with the ebrocks. It went 11.25 on back to back runs in time trials.

I am not disputing your claim that you gained the .6, I am just saying that there are MANY variables. The cam you have may have taken advantage of the better scavenging, the CR may have changed a tad, track conditions were different, etc. BTW, not sure why you even brought this up in your own thread about the Pro-Comps.
Old November 29th, 2015, 08:23 AM

Jim that is why i said two tenths and i would say they were equal.
I am not trying to be rude or insulting, but so often I have no idea what you are talking about. Please take the time to be clear with your points so that we can have an intelligent conversation.
Old November 29th, 2015, 08:29 AM

No need to go overboard there. But if the edelbrock heads flow pretty equal to c castings how can you gain 6 tenths. That's one he'll of a gain and I'm sorry I just don't see it based on all the info stacking irons vs aluminum . Specially considering they where untouched. If you could gain 6 tenths that easy wouldn't this info be more out there and available. That's a very significant gain .
Flow numbers on edelbrocks are better than C heads period. Everything is better on a stock vs stock comparison! I wouldn't doubt anyone that said the went .4-.6 tenths better with an edelbrock head upgrade! They make more power and you shave all that weight off too! I can't believe nobody gets that. Research it all over the net. It's nothing new in the Olds world! Joe Mondello wouldn't have helped design it with edelbrock if they didn't improve anything! It's a no brainier imho! With a little work I'm sure the pro comps do the same! Overall the best thing to do is have an engine builder look everything over to make sure it will not need any work " out of the box" as obviously there are mistakes in any maufacturing business.
Old November 29th, 2015, 08:34 AM

I am not trying to be rude or insulting, but so often I have no idea what you are talking about. Please take the time to be clear with your points so that we can have an intelligent conversation.
Jim you are being rude! Two tenths difference between the iron heads and the ebrocks. and i would have taken that as being equal allowing the difference in weather conditions ect. You know that was the subject. I said there was six tenths so that makes them not equal all things considered.You are not only rude you are insulting you know that this is your mo to divert from the real topic.
Old November 29th, 2015, 08:38 AM

Thing is we aren't talkin about Battens!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (736.0 KB, 27 views)
Old November 29th, 2015, 08:45 AM

It is obvious to me that Captjim can't read!Madmax brought up the ebrocks i just replied back.Then you and copper started the off subject crap and i was replying back to your drivel. Now maybe you two will let someone who has experience with pro comps give out some info.I am not sure there are others view on this site left to respond to the pro comp head question but ROP is responding to the question.
Old November 29th, 2015, 08:56 AM

It is obvious to me that Captjim can't read!Madmax brought up the ebrocks i just replied back.Then you and copper started the off subject crap and i was replying back to your drivel. Now maybe you two will let someone who has experience with pro comps give out some info.I am not sure there are others view on this site left to respond to the pro comp head question but ROP is responding to the question.
I only said I wanted Edelbrocks on my build because the were American made. I said nothing about their performance initially. TripDeuces brought up performance comparisons between the two. No disrespect to him at all, just stating facts. No disrespect to anyone in here actually as we all have our opinions.
Old November 29th, 2015, 09:01 AM

I only mentioned the battens becasue it was brought up the fastest of the fastest did it with aluminums and i agree but the battens are an all out race head so it couldnt compare to the e brocks. Madmax from whats been mentioned is the e brock head dont flow as well as they claim out the box. I dont remember if i was told this perosnally by a trusted source or it was mentioned in the porting thread.
Old November 29th, 2015, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by madmax442
I think tons of people run them right out of the box! If they couldn't then edelbrock probably wouldn't make them! If you take a stock iron headed big block and put out of the box edelbrocks on it you will probably see 40+hp and the obvious weight savings!
This is the post i am refering to madmax and yes tripdueces was the one who started the ebrock statement.Captjim and copper have issues with me period. I don't care what they say it is evident by their post. On just about any thread i am a liar or my sentences are not clear to captjim he can't understand what i post. Back to pro comps head subject.
Old November 29th, 2015, 09:10 AM

. On just about any thread i am a liar or my sentences are not clear to captjim he can't understand what i post. .
Finally!! We agree on something that you posted!!!!! LOL
Old November 29th, 2015, 09:12 AM

Jim you are being rude! Two tenths difference between the iron heads and the ebrocks.
If you had stated that initially, I would have understood your point. I am not a mind reader and you constantly make incomplete and ambiguous posts. Take a few extra seconds to make your points.
Old November 29th, 2015, 09:18 AM

I dont have any issues . You seem to think if someone disagrees with you they have a problem with you. Im sorry but alot of people disagree and have disagreed with me but i still interact with them. I have no issues with anyone. Personally i think an aluminum head isnt an option until you are trying to run somewhere in the 9's . This is towards wr1970, captjim and i disagree all the time but i got nothing against him.

If you guys are trying to say you would buy a set of heads pro comps or ebrocks and stick em on straight out the box im gonna say you are very very ballzy to do that. I would not trust em dont care how good they are. i would have everything checked out before and upgraded as needed. Thats just not good engine building practice to install stuff straight out the box. any engine that is blue printed will have to have all the vlave springs checked , valves checked all that stuff so straight out the box i highly doubt will happen with a good engine builder.

Last edited by coppercutlass; November 29th, 2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old November 29th, 2015, 09:19 AM

Finally!! We agree on something that you posted!!!!! LOL
More drivel from Captjim who hasn't done anything with a 455 or these heads in question but he is a expert by his drivel he spews. That is why he insults me and claim of non understanding of my post. Copper go ahead you know you want to get your drivel out there again. Also done nothing with none of these heads or a 455 so anyone viewing this i hope it clears up why this thread got derailed by these two guys. Back to pro comp heads.
Old November 29th, 2015, 09:21 AM

More drivel from Captjim who hasn't done anything with a 455 or these heads in question but he is a expert by his drivel he spews. That is why he insults me and claim of non understanding of my post. Copper go ahead you know you want to get your drivel out there again. Also done nothing with none of these heads or a 455 so anyone viewing this i hope it clears up why this thread got derailed by these two guys. Back to pro comp heads.

Dude, you need to lighten up. Every post you have made today has been full of anger.
I'll go away now, carry on...............
Old November 29th, 2015, 09:22 AM

This is the post i am refering to madmax and yes tripdueces was the one who started the ebrock statement.Captjim and copper have issues with me period. I don't care what they say it is evident by their post. On just about any thread i am a liar or my sentences are not clear to captjim he can't understand what i post. Back to pro comps head subject.
I think looking back on my previous statement, 40+hp might be a bit lofty unless it was in a higher performance build but in Bill Travatos book he states that they make a significant increase in power on comparable builds. I do agree more people with pro comps should chime in as well since this thread is about them!
Old November 29th, 2015, 09:29 AM

neeley your problem is you seem to think the world is against you. You are right i have never used aluminum heads, i have never built a 455. But i have built all my own stuff (SBO's) . Anywho the info is out there. Milan made 500 hp or something like that with unported irons with just big valves. Thats enough hp to go in the 10's . Im just putting that out there as some food for thought.
Old November 29th, 2015, 09:40 AM

You definitely will have different horsepower levels with a BBO vs SBO but they are virtually the same in design. If you can build one you can build the other!
Old November 29th, 2015, 09:42 AM

neeley your problem is you seem to think the world is against you. You are right i have never used aluminum heads, i have never built a 455. But i have built all my own stuff SBO's. Anywho the info is out there. Milan made 500 hp or something like that with unported irons with just big valves. Thats enough hp to go in the 10's . Im just putting that out there as some food for thought.
No just you and Captjim have this problem. Coming from all the crap the both of you always dish out toward me.For one i have done these things with a 455 i am assembling own engines and have not discredited you with your sbo engine.Did i offer up some advice on your combo yes but several other have also. You choose to ignore suggestions because you claim to do it your way. I think that sums it up. What difference does it make. Nothing i post is the facts according to you go read your post. The both of you clutter up threads that i post with drivel and sarcastic remarks to me. This thread is about Aluminum Pro Comp Heads.

Last edited by wr1970; November 29th, 2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old November 29th, 2015, 09:49 AM

Neeley i ignore suggestions because i have certain restraints i like to give my self. To put it simple i have not found a 12 sec. sbo combo with my gear and converter set up 3.73 & 3000 stall running my time. Most are using much more gear and converter which in turn makes my set up look great and over come the fact t was built with swap meet parts , left overs and hand me downs. . im sorry i said this before but i wanna see what i can do with less not with more. Im sorry but just because someone tells me to do something does not mean im gonna do it I have to do things my way becasue its my car if i choose to take the advice then great if not then it is what it is.
Old November 29th, 2015, 10:10 AM

Here is a suggestion. Back to the subject of this thread. Pro comp heads and 1/4 mi track info et mph. Not dyno info.
Old November 29th, 2015, 02:01 PM

Not dyno info.

Why not? As I stated before, both dyno results and track results will have variables that affect the results, (one could argue successfully that there are many more track variables; air temperature, engine temperature, humidity, traction, fuel delivery,driver performance, and differences in drivetrain and accessory losses just to name a few) but both are still reasonable indicators of the power that the engine is producing.

My contention remains that you exclude dynos because you do not want Mark posting his impressive results. If I am wrong, tell me why.
Old November 29th, 2015, 02:11 PM

Milan stuff is impressive. That's all I'm gonna say.
Old November 29th, 2015, 02:26 PM

Captjim i started this thread and it had nothing to do with Mark! This was a question i asked. You are trying to start something which isn't and never was part of what i was looking for with these heads.You were told i will discount what i want and did in the title of this thread. It really is simple.
Old November 29th, 2015, 02:29 PM

Captjim i started this thread and it had nothing to do with Mark! This was a question i asked. You are trying to start something which isn't and never was part of what i was looking for with these heads.You were told i will discount what i want and did in the title of this thread. It really is simple.
Not a good answer. Your initial sentence in this thread is
"Okay was brought up in a different thread that these heads make power"
Both a race track and a dyno prove that, so why exclude the dyno results? Not everyone wants to race their cars.
Old November 29th, 2015, 02:46 PM

Not a good answer. Your initial sentence in this thread is
"Okay was brought up in a different thread that these heads make power"
Both a race track and a dyno prove that, so why exclude the dyno results? Not everyone wants to race their cars.
Go get some glasses then i stand with the how i titled this thread. Go argue your point with yourself. I made it clear not my fault you choose to try and change and derail my thread. You are just being the typical Captjim same motive to argue even if there is no reason except what i gave.
Old November 29th, 2015, 02:52 PM

Go get some glasses then i stand with the how i titled this thread. Go argue your point with yourself. I made it clear not my fault you choose to try and change and derail my thread. You are just being the typical Captjim same motive to argue even if there is no reason except what i gave.
You "reason" is basically, "because I said so" with no logical or reasonable response. Your agenda is quite clear, I will stop posting and leave it to the other CO members to decide for themselves. There is no logical reason to discount dyno results, other than the one I stated.
Old November 29th, 2015, 03:15 PM

You "reason" is basically, "because I said so" with no logical or reasonable response. Your agenda is quite clear, I will stop posting and leave it to the other CO members to decide for themselves. There is no logical reason to discount dyno results, other than the one I stated.
You are entitled to think what you want but you are wrong.I drag race i am interested in down track results.This thread is about those heads on a race engine.I have no agenda except what i stated as what i am looking for. That is info from guys using these heads on a race engine down the track in a 1/4 mi. with ET and MPH. no dyno. I thought we could discuss what the other info is on there combo if you would give this thread a chance Captjim.
Old November 29th, 2015, 03:42 PM

This thread is about those heads on a race engine.I have no agenda except what i stated as what i am looking for. That is info from guys using these heads on a race engine down the track in a 1/4 mi. with ET and MPH. no dyno.
Once again, why???? Why ONLY 1/4 mile ETS? No dynos?? No 1/8 ET's??
Old November 29th, 2015, 04:20 PM

Once again, why???? Why ONLY 1/4 mile ETS? No dynos?? No 1/8 ET's??
You have not given any pertinent info to this head thread! No reason to carry on the way you do.You are not using these heads! You have a clear agenda.This thread was never directed at you! This head thread was directed to guys who race and 1/4 mi with pro comps.
Old November 29th, 2015, 04:34 PM

This head thread was directed to guys who race and 1/4 mi with pro comps.

Once again, a question you continue to decline to answer, why only 1/4 mile racers? No 1/8 mile? No dyno results? The answer is obvious, you want to exclude anything that makes them look good.
Old November 29th, 2015, 04:41 PM

1/4 mile times are one of the most common tuning tools besides the dyno. Thats when you know how its actually putting it down. The 1/8 mile is less common but most guys and even magazines like car craft , hot rod , car and drive use 1/4 mile to truly gauge the cars acceleration potential. Its kind of the standard if you ask me. Its even used in high performance advertising nowadays.
Old November 29th, 2015, 04:45 PM

1/4 mile times are one of the most common tuning tools besides the dyno. Thats when you know how its actually putting it down. The 1/8 mile is less common but most guys and even magazines like car craft , hot rod , car and drive use 1/4 mile to truly gauge the cars acceleration potential. Its kind of the standard if you ask me. Its even used in high performance advertising nowadays.
True, but most of the tracks in states in the SE run 1/8 mile.
Old November 29th, 2015, 04:53 PM

Then you tune for that. If you have 1/4 mile track i would assume you want 1/4 mile times for pontetial personal use. Thats like an 1/8th mile guy asking a 1/4 mile guy advise on setting the car up. Its a diffrent beast so to speak.
Old November 29th, 2015, 04:56 PM

True, but most of the tracks in states in the SE run 1/8 mile.
You have no pro comp heads. Are you saying that the SE has these heads on their motors!LOL Just another one of your tactics to stir up and create a distraction of what this thread is about Captjim.

Quick Reply: Pro comp heads on a race engine