Port Job on D heads by Mondello in 1969

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2013, 04:00 AM

From a business end,great.You get money both ways.Your students pay for the school,then they do the porting,or attempt to do the porting,on customer's heads,who also are paying,so they were getting money at both ends.
Any of you guys remember the guy that posted pictures of his real F-heads that he sent to Mondello for porting?It was obvious they were done by a student.They were ruined.There were holes right through to the water jackets,and they had the nerve to send them back like that.The heads were a total loss,and the owner was absolutely sick about it.
What is more amazing is that Lynn is still breathing,after all the BS that has come out of there.His previous job was a used car salesman,so he's the perfect guy for sweet-talking,taking money,and leaving empty promises.
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
They would be worth more if they weren't messed with.They are only original once.Rare heads that are ported do not bring more money than rare heads that are unmolested.However,if there is a certain person that needs a rare head,and also has plans of porting them,then they would be willing to pay more.
I have F-heads with over $2k worth of work to them,but it is what I wanted.I would never expect to get a big amount for them.I also have my rarest of rare 71 w30 H-heads that I have considered having ported because that is what I want.The 71 will be a concours resto,and look 100% stock,but I still want it to be badass in the performance department.I know I can make 550/575 with it,but not sure if I can reach 600 with the factory intake & junk exhaust manifolds.We'll see.
Factory Olds heads with porting can support 600 HP, @ 461 inches, but doing it with the factory intake, not sure about that, not saying it cant be done though. Fact is you can weld and and hack and wack on a Olds head until you have an Olds race head, 330 CFM @ 28 inches, I think that will support 600 HP LOL. Just saying whats out there.
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bernhard
That is sad if true. When you have your name all over your test car. You are a head porter and not even runing you own product. What does that say about your skill set as a head porter, and head teacher of a porting school?
What does that say about your product that you are selling?
They wanted to go fast, unfortunately Ive never seen anything go fast out of Joes shop, for a long time Joe didnt even have a flow bench. In my shop the number 1 tool for making HP IS THE FLOW BENCH, more important than any other tool in there, bar none. I dont see how you could do it without it.
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:15 AM

Yes,been there,done that with iron heads,but not with a stock W30 intake and W/Z exhaust manifolds.I think I can get close enough.
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:24 AM

Yes,been there,done that with iron heads,but not with a stock W30 intake and W/Z exhaust manifolds.I think I can get close enough.
I look forward to that. Are you working with Bill Travoto on that ? While developing the intake tract for my 455 build I flowed the factory intake along with the head, after seeing the results I ended uo throwing the intake out in the scrap pile, and made the call for a Performer RPM. LOL just remember the 71 9.1 comp 455 NHRA stockers in the early 90s made 480 HP on the dyno and showing going down the track with that intake, no porting, stock lift cam.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; February 13th, 2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old February 13th, 2013, 06:08 AM

Yes,Bill will be doing the engine,but I need to finish the 517 first.I suppose I could use that,but I have another purpose for that.
I would also like to freshen-up the 507,and maybe lighten the rotating assembly in that.This is what I run my ported F's on,so if I take it up there for a freshening,maybe we can throw some W/Z's on it and a W30 intake,and see what that does.
Old February 13th, 2013, 06:36 AM

Yes,Bill will be doing the engine,but I need to finish the 517 first.I suppose I could use that,but I have another purpose for that.
I would also like to freshen-up the 507,and maybe lighten the rotating assembly in that.This is what I run my ported F's on,so if I take it up there for a freshening,maybe we can throw some W/Z's on it and a W30 intake,and see what that does.
That Bills a great person to deal with, very helpful, fast service, and he builds a great engine!