Edelbrock Heads Update?

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2022, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
neither, it’s ALL pre orders according to him. He said if you didn’t get in on the first run, you may be out of luck for a while.

He didn’t specifically mention summit or Jegs

he said this on Facebook. Go have a look.
I'm confused. The first order run hasn't even shipped for 2+ years. So if one placed an order with Summit or Jegs 2 years ago, they won't get the new heads when they eventually begin shipping?

I would assume Summit, Jegs and Mondello will get a certain amount of heads based on whoever sells more heads (volume). I would think Summit and Jegs are top dogs and will get priority when the heads become available. All Edelbrock cares about is volume and money. They don't care about anything else. They have no loyalty to anyone except the company that sells the most amount of product, including other Edelbrock products, not just Olds stuff. Summit sells millions of dollars of Edelbrock prodcuts each year so I am sure Summit will get first dibs on the heads.
Old May 10th, 2022, 09:40 PM

Summit will get first dibs for sure.
I had someone who offered to buy the entire first run, cash up front, Edelbrock turned him down.
And I don’t know why anyone would take deposits. That means nothing in the big picture. Nobody gets charged anything until they ship.
Old May 11th, 2022, 01:08 AM

[QUOTE=pettrix;1426707]I'm confused. The first order run hasn't even shipped for 2+ years. So if one placed an order with Summit or Jegs 2 years ago, they won't get the new heads when they eventually begin shipping?

What? I never said the pre orders wouldn’t get them first, I said they WILL be the only ones getting them.

that’s what Bernard Mondello said.. it’s the second part you don’t understand. The part where when the availability date actually happens, does not mean anyone can order a set of those Olds heads and expect to get them.

Old May 11th, 2022, 04:34 AM

For all;
Edelbrock knows how many are on back order from everybody. Do you really think they won’t try to run AT LEAST that many to start, and then some. C’mon people.
Old May 11th, 2022, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
For all;
Edelbrock knows how many are on back order from everybody. Do you really think they won’t try to run AT LEAST that many to start, and then some. C’mon people.
They're also behind on other stuff. There's some scheduler with a spreadsheet that doesn't give a crap about who gets what.
Old May 11th, 2022, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by fleming442
They're also behind on other stuff. There's some scheduler with a spreadsheet that doesn't give a crap about who gets what.
Correct. But if they have the parts needed to complete them, trust me, they’ll run as many as they can. I’ve already had this conversation with them.
Old May 11th, 2022, 05:52 AM

Mark, these SBO ones are good to mill down to 60cc ? Intake gasket is still BBO size? thanks
Old May 11th, 2022, 09:39 AM

If they do get released in July 2022, it will be over 2 1/2 years of waiting and countless failed release dates. Summit has a lot of pending orders but like I said, they won't charge one's credit card until they are available and ready to ship. Like Mark mentioned, I am sure Summit will get priority when the heads do become available. No other distributor can match the sales of Summit when it comes to Edelbrock products.

If China invades Taiwan, then all bets are off as that would put the supply chains stuff back into the stone age, worse than with COVID19. Hopefully that doesn't happen but it's possible, just like the war with Ukraine.

Last edited by pettrix; May 11th, 2022 at 09:41 AM.
Old May 11th, 2022, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by GEARMAN69
Mark, these SBO ones are good to mill down to 60cc ? Intake gasket is still BBO size? thanks
Yes and yes.
Old May 11th, 2022, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by pettrix
If they do get released in July 2022, it will be over 2 1/2 years of waiting and countless failed release dates. Summit has a lot of pending orders but like I said, they won't charge one's credit card until they are available and ready to ship. Like Mark mentioned, I am sure Summit will get priority when the heads do become available. No other distributor can match the sales of Summit when it comes to Edelbrock products.

If China invades Taiwan, then all bets are off as that would put the supply chains stuff back into the stone age, worse than with COVID19. Hopefully that doesn't happen but it's possible, just like the war with Ukraine.
I think your timeline is off. I pretty sure I got these heads in Oct of 2020 to start testing. They announced them sometime later. Plus I believe they didn’t put them on their website until on or about Jan 1, 2021.

Last edited by cutlassefi; May 11th, 2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old May 12th, 2022, 08:19 AM

I think your timeline is off. I pretty sure I got these heads in Oct of 2020 to start testing. They announced them sometime later. Plus I believe they didn’t put them on their website until on or about Jan 1, 2021.
It feels longer than 2 years but you are correct, l looked back and it was around Jan 2021 that Edelbrock announced the new heads. So it's been 1.5 years.
Old May 12th, 2022, 07:58 PM

These look like game changers for small block builds. The fact that the Trans am has a low hood clearance is a nightmare to deal with to get the hood to close with anything but stock. The HSD is an option, but will need some port work to fit. That intake does work on a Trans Am.
Old May 12th, 2022, 08:22 PM

My google Fu is failing me.
I haven't been able to get a link / part number for the small block heads.
Found the BB heads but not the SBO
Old May 13th, 2022, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by tkcutlass
My google Fu is failing me.
I haven't been able to get a link / part number for the small block heads.
Found the BB heads but not the SBO
That’s because the small block heads are still a few more months behind.
Old May 13th, 2022, 04:38 AM

That’s because the small block heads are still a few more months behind.
Why would the small block heads be any different other than maybe being milled to lower their combustion chamber size?? Curious.
Old May 13th, 2022, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Firewalker
Why would the small block heads be any different other than maybe being milled to lower their combustion chamber size?? Curious.
They’re not milled, it is physically a different chamber. The big block head chamber is based on a 4.155 bore, the small block head is based on a 4 inch bore. They are in fact two different castings, that’s been stated before.

Last edited by cutlassefi; May 13th, 2022 at 12:27 PM.
Old May 13th, 2022, 10:07 AM

They’re not milled, it is physically a different chamber. The big black head chamber is based on a 4.155 bore, the small block head is based on a 4 inch bore. They are in fact two different castings, that’s been stated before.
OK, and thanks.
Old June 15th, 2022, 05:48 AM

I got an email that they are in stock now, almost 2 years too late for me though.

Heads

Pat
Old June 15th, 2022, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by fasteddy
I got an email that they are in stock now, almost 2 years too late for me though.

Heads

Pat
Most people moved on to SpeedMaster and other options. Life is short and waiting 2 years on heads is not a luxury for most.

Summit is still showing July 5th and July 29th for availability.

We shall see when the first customers get their heads and what the quality control looks like. Someone will report back once they get everything inspected to see if the quality control is good or bad. Edelbrock usually would have good QC but after the long delays, pandemic closedowns, plant relocation, part outsourcing, etc. it's unknown what the heads will be like, including the components like the valves, springs and guides. If they will be good parts or need to be replaced with better components.

At $2,600 (after tax) for a set of heads, hopefully they are all good. I got a set of new Speedmaster heads on the engine now (running great) for $600. Back when SpeedMaster was running their Black Friday special.

Reading and watching what some machinists are going through with poor quality parts coming from usually trusted sources. A well respected trans builder got a brand new GM torque converter for a trans rebuild and the torque converter grenaded within 100 miles and took out the brand new transmission. GM will only warranty the converter but will not warranty the transmission it took out, nor will it warranty the labor to R&R the trans again. Many manufacturers had to switch vendors after the shutdowns and it's a crap-shoot if the part is good or bad.

Last edited by pettrix; June 15th, 2022 at 08:24 AM.
Old June 15th, 2022, 10:15 AM

Most people moved on to SpeedMaster and other options. Life is short and waiting 2 years on heads is not a luxury for most.

Summit is still showing July 5th and July 29th for availability.

We shall see when the first customers get their heads and what the quality control looks like. Someone will report back once they get everything inspected to see if the quality control is good or bad. Edelbrock usually would have good QC but after the long delays, pandemic closedowns, plant relocation, part outsourcing, etc. it's unknown what the heads will be like, including the components like the valves, springs and guides. If they will be good parts or need to be replaced with better components.

At $2,600 (after tax) for a set of heads, hopefully they are all good. I got a set of new Speedmaster heads on the engine now (running great) for $600. Back when SpeedMaster was running their Black Friday special.

Reading and watching what some machinists are going through with poor quality parts coming from usually trusted sources. A well respected trans builder got a brand new GM torque converter for a trans rebuild and the torque converter grenaded within 100 miles and took out the brand new transmission. GM will only warranty the converter but will not warranty the transmission it took out, nor will it warranty the labor to R&R the trans again. Many manufacturers had to switch vendors after the shutdowns and it's a crap-shoot if the part is good or bad.
One of my favorite tranny guys on youtube and some of the problems they are seeing. Parts are getting real scarce but they have been buying up spare cores and the rest for a few years now. But as always it seems it come down to the accumulated knowledge of the people working on them, and their honesty.

Old June 15th, 2022, 10:30 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Yup, there ready for the BB guys

Old June 15th, 2022, 12:15 PM

One of my favorite tranny guys on youtube and some of the problems they are seeing. Parts are getting real scarce but they have been buying up spare cores and the rest for a few years now. But as always it seems it come down to the accumulated knowledge of the people working on them, and their honesty.
The parts market is in chaos for the most part. GM is sometimes waiting 4-6 months to get engine parts on new vehicles that need warranty repair. Anything you get parts wise must be inspected closely as it's hit or miss.

I am waiting on a house clothed dryer part now for months. Simple part for $35 but it's been back-ordered for months.

I read diesel engine oil is getting scarce. The additives that are needed to get diesel engine oil are getting hard to find. DEF is also supposedly getting low in volume.

Point is, check those Edelbrock heads really closely. The casting, valves, springs, guides, seats, etc.

Old June 15th, 2022, 01:18 PM

I can tell you I’d be floored if there were any issues with ANY of the new heads. You guys haven’t seen what I’ve seen from them in the recent past. Their castings seem to be as good as ever to this point.
Old June 15th, 2022, 01:55 PM

I can tell you I’d be floored if there were any issues with ANY of the new heads. You guys haven’t seen what I’ve seen from them in the recent past. Their castings seem to be as good as ever to this point.
You can always tell the backhand comments no matter how well it's worded,right?
Old June 15th, 2022, 02:40 PM

The parts market is in chaos for the most part. GM is sometimes waiting 4-6 months to get engine parts on new vehicles that need warranty repair. Anything you get parts wise must be inspected closely as it's hit or miss.

I am waiting on a house clothed dryer part now for months. Simple part for $35 but it's been back-ordered for months.

I read diesel engine oil is getting scarce. The additives that are needed to get diesel engine oil are getting hard to find. DEF is also supposedly getting low in volume.

Point is, check those Edelbrock heads really closely. The casting, valves, springs, guides, seats, etc.
For things like dyer or other parts I would suggest using google search and ebay, as supplies might be out in one area, but not all areas. Things are incredibly bad and getting worse in all areas. Water is failing in many large areas and so are crops, and its not getting better. Two places to keep up on this info here are these links.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Adapt2030/videos

https://www.youtube.com/c/PeakProsperity/videos
Old June 20th, 2022, 09:04 PM

Has anyone received the heads as of yet?
Old June 21st, 2022, 02:29 AM

Has anyone received the heads as of yet?
it's not the end of July yet
Old June 21st, 2022, 03:03 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

it's not the end of July yet
I seen a post yesterday on an olds group on FB yesterday with him getting the new BB heads, they are shipping

Old June 21st, 2022, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by skyhigh
I seen a post yesterday on an olds group on FB yesterday with him getting the new BB heads, they are shipping
Do you believe everything you see on FB?
Old June 21st, 2022, 09:56 AM

Two different people on 2 different FB groups posted photos of their 61025 Edelbrock heads. 1 set was ordered 14 months ago thru OPGI, the other didnt mention where the order came from
Old June 21st, 2022, 04:15 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The pictures sure look like the new heads.

Old June 21st, 2022, 04:29 PM

Yeah,bout like ROP.
Old June 21st, 2022, 04:36 PM

A big notch for a mechanical fuel pump. What will they think of next.
Old June 21st, 2022, 04:38 PM

Been needed for a long time.
Old June 21st, 2022, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Been needed for a long time.
Yeppers, for decades
Old June 21st, 2022, 04:47 PM

Of course!!! Doesn't everybody?
Old June 21st, 2022, 04:55 PM

That’s what started my conversation with them 5 years ago.
Yes they’re shipping. They cast enough to fill the first round of back orders. They’re scheduled to be run again early next month.
Old June 21st, 2022, 04:58 PM

The pictures are clearly PhotoShopped
Old June 21st, 2022, 05:13 PM

This whole thing has been such a clusterfvck, I wouldn't get excited until they were in my hands.
Old June 21st, 2022, 05:47 PM

This whole thing has been such a clusterfvck, I wouldn't get excited until they were in my hands.
To be honest it’s attitudes like that that kept this from happening before now. Did Trovato take the time to do this? No. Bernard? No. Dick Miller? No. Even that crook Lynn didn’t do it.
So I guess I’m different than most. I look at it another way. Yes I’ve had first info but you had a major aftermarket manufacturer willing to take on this project, when spun the right way. Bottom line is at the end of the day the Olds community will now have a way better, off the shelf cyl head that will be readily available very soon, no matter how it came about.
When was the last time anything like that ever happened, if ever?

Last edited by cutlassefi; June 21st, 2022 at 05:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Heads Update?