Counterfeit Parts

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2024, 05:04 PM

Counterfeit Parts

This U.S. performance automotive co. owner has a few things to say about chinese parts..

Hope this URL works.
Old April 16th, 2024, 05:21 PM
72Cutlass S

Unfortunately this seems to be the story of our times.
Old April 16th, 2024, 06:34 PM

I saw that. It's crazy that they copied it right down to his name.
Old April 16th, 2024, 08:45 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Love his words..."Don't support stuff like this". "Stay away from this stuff." "Killing the industry" That's the biggy killing the US... us.
No truer words spoken. NOTHING good comes from china.
Keep giving it away, pumping money into their economy until we no longer have one. That just wont end well...for us.
Old April 17th, 2024, 02:24 AM

China is still listed as an "emerging economy" and gets special treatment. Anyone still really believe that anymore? That's got to be bullcrap today.They should change that status.

Their counterfeit stuff used in a recent barrage from on country to another didn't work so hot, so I'm not surprised. It's like the copy of a copy of a copy.
Old April 17th, 2024, 04:32 AM

Appalling. Though I hate the thought of CCP counterfeiting, I can see knocking off simple, high volume items, but something like this, from a small shop? Thankfully our government is diligently spending time, effort and resources on bathroom access and sports participation.

​​​​​​….
Old April 17th, 2024, 05:20 AM

Pretty ballsy for speedmaster to put another shops name on some pos they selling, not sure why people support such a company by buying their junk.

If we're going on a China rant, this is one of the more entertaining ones from
Old April 17th, 2024, 05:28 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

We all have the same thoughts yet why does nothing get done economically or politically, except for the status quo? Why....the root....greed money greed, oh don't forget the fat pocket atta-boy club..
I practice what I preach. I seek out USA-made (or any other than china) for many reasons. This is just one.

Look at a few recent posts here, where guys are having trouble with parts they should not be having trouble with. They are asking, why doesn't X or Y fit, look, or perform as it should. Why did it turn to dust in 6 months.....hummm.
I can't keep chiming in. No one is listening anyway. When they do another one just backfills. GAH!
Old April 17th, 2024, 06:28 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

For most makes, that is fine, buy US made. Edelbrock currently has one head and some have been less than ready to go out of box. Ports and chamber too big for most small block builds on top of that. It leaves us one option, Speedmaster. They still need milling and port entry work. But is available bare and 1/3 of cost on Black Friday sales.
Old April 17th, 2024, 07:49 AM
Past Administrator

When I was a youngster we used to talk about Jap-Crap, now not so much. It's the same all over again.
Old April 18th, 2024, 04:05 AM

The scarier version is counterfeit aircraft parts.

Imagine if Boeing and Airbus are not being careful about parts sourcing, or going with lowest cost sources consciously to boot profits.

Chris
Old April 18th, 2024, 04:31 AM

Not sure how I missed this earlier, but I saw Summit put out a statement (albeit facebook comments/messenger maybe?) saying they were unaware of the situation, and will be removing all Speedmaster items from site/store/clearance/etc.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...-in-inventory/

I'd stayed away in the earlier years, but heard their castings had gotten better (speaking specifically intakes) to the point where I'd considered it for my 442. I guess they found a better mold to make copies off of.
Old April 18th, 2024, 05:42 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Yeah, I just searched all Speedmaster parts don't show up on Summit's website.
Old April 18th, 2024, 06:30 AM

I think it's pretty astonishing that one guy posted a youtube video and a few days later Summit has completely removed Speedmaster/Procomp. They had a huge product catalog so that must've represented quite a bit of revenue for Summit. Speedmaster knows how to dance on the line - but stay legal.
But also this was an astonishing mistake by Speedmaster. Usually they're smart enough to make a few minor changes so it's not so obvious. Or, like the Olds head, wait until the original manufacturer has made a revision then start shipping copies of the old design.
Old April 18th, 2024, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by brotherGood
Not sure how I missed this earlier, but I saw Summit put out a statement (albeit facebook comments/messenger maybe?) saying they were unaware of the situation, and will be removing all Speedmaster items from site/store/clearance/etc.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...-in-inventory/

I'd stayed away in the earlier years, but heard their castings had gotten better (speaking specifically intakes) to the point where I'd considered it for my 442. I guess they found a better mold to make copies off of.
I'd call that a win...hopefully other outlets follow suit.
Old April 18th, 2024, 06:45 AM

Sad and infuriating All at the same time. I tell my friends never buy brand name off eBay or marketplace unless it’s the real company selling it. You see identical parts cheaper on ebay and marketplace, brand new and much cheaper. You’re going to get a knock off done so well you probably won’t even know it. This happens with auto parts, guitars and guitar parts, watches, clothes, everything.. I hope this guy goes after Summit too. Summit should be ashamed
Old April 18th, 2024, 07:47 AM

And whoever the Speedmaster employee was that approved the exact copy of this item, should be terminated as well. What a stupid move on their part.
Old April 18th, 2024, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by cfair

Imagine if Boeing and Airbus are not being careful about parts sourcing, or going with lowest cost sources consciously to boot profits.

Chris
There are counterfeit aircraft parts. "60 Minutes" did a piece several years ago about that.

I am not as worried about Boeing or Airbus. Ask yourself what country the aircraft are sent to for maintenance.
Old April 18th, 2024, 09:32 AM

Read Peter Schweizer's latest book, "Blood Money" and see just how SOLD OUT our Government and a large majority of our politicians are!

Blood Money: Why the Powerful Turn a Blind Eye While China Kills Americans: Schweizer, Peter: 9780063061194: Amazon.com: Books Blood Money: Why the Powerful Turn a Blind Eye While China Kills Americans: Schweizer, Peter: 9780063061194: Amazon.com: Books

Like I say "The Chinese are here in greater numbers than you know and THEY AREN'T HERE ON VACATION"!! I worked for two years in a Chinese automotive glass plant and they really don't like Americans IMO!

I have bought Chinese Made products and most of it is crap and low short-term functionality! My brother bought a HF framing nailer and it still works awesome even after 30 plus years. I rebuilt my fence after I retired and my family heirloom posthole digger broke in the middle of the job so I went to a big box store and bought a new one! I knew it was made in China but needed one. It is an awesome tool. Not everything is low quality but a very large percentage is IMO! As best I know, there are no Chinese parts on my 72 442. BUT, there is that possibility that some cosmetic part is not US made. Most parts though are original GM!

Now, the killer viruses they come up with are very good at what they do and our government actually funds some of their labs (read the book above and you'll be shocked)!

I just bought a sweet, well-made belt from a company who makes them in the U.S.A.! It was $70.00 but it's well built.

I wear Made in the U.S.A. jeans made by All American Clothing Company in Arcanum Ohio! I pay around $70.00 for each pair and they will outlast Levi's by 4 to 5 times from my experience. Levi's I used to buy started falling apart in the first year or so when I wore them!

All American Made Clothing | All American Clothing

Here's a shirt I bought there that I wear with pride!

So yeah, beware of the C-H-I-N-A made products and counterfeited parts and Buy American as best you can. There's a reason the not so friends of America didn't want POTUS TRUMP to get a second term and why they don't want him re-elected in 2024! We are at a crossroads in this country. This post is JMHO! Car parts are our least worry!

Last edited by OLE442; April 18th, 2024 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spellin'
Old April 18th, 2024, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
China is still listed as an "emerging economy" and gets special treatment. Anyone still really believe that anymore? That's got to be bullcrap today.They should change that status.

Their counterfeit stuff used in a recent barrage from on country to another didn't work so hot, so I'm not surprised. It's like the copy of a copy of a copy.
Yes, and our Government and elected officials know they are no ways near the typical definition of "emerging economy" yet they still let this stand. That's because in one way or another China is paying them all off!
It's like your and my officials know that the Patriot Act was turned into a way to spy on anyone in America without out cause. We are all being surveilled and they won't do a damn thing about it. I've written my reps and no one will answer.....what does that say?? This is waaaaay bigger than counterfeit car parts.

Rant over!
Old April 18th, 2024, 10:09 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

All you have to do is pull your head out of your ... for a few minutes. Unplug from the corporate big box brainwashing and type into the googler "made in the USA".
Was looking for garden boots for my girl. Searched. Found a company that's been making boots in the USA since 1958. Go to any retailer and try to find USA-made boots. It's even a struggle at Red Wing. 2 boots in the entire place are USA.

https://www.sloggers.com/Rain-and-Ga...oes-s/1824.htm

I get an email from this company daily:

https://madeinusaforever.com/

Mens (or women) Belts...buy one from the house of china stores they last 3-6 months at 19.99-29.99 ea.
Bought a belt from Deluth for $80.00 in 2014! Still looks almost new. and I wear it almost daily (for office dress, not yard work).
Hanks a little more expensive....but not really. Do the math. https://www.hanksbelts.com/

10 years on the Deluth belts at $80ea = $8/year.
Same amount of time on an average of 2 junk belts/yr over 10 years. That's ~25/year or $250-300 over 10 years.
You're not saving a penny, and you're lining chinas coffers. Then add your time gas and frustration of having to go buy a belt 2x/yr
Old April 18th, 2024, 11:03 AM

A link at the bottom of the American Made Clothing lists these 100 made in the USA companies.

100 American Companies That Sell USA-Made Products - All American Clothing Co

Thanks droldsmorland I signed up for your made in the USA emails from your post above! Every little bit helps!!
Old April 18th, 2024, 01:53 PM

Before this thread is closed:

I clearly recall my grandfather telling me that the Japanese tried to end our way of life with bullets and bombs, and failed. Now they are using dollars. I understand this thread is referring to China knockoffs, but the plot is the same. Just different characters.
Old April 18th, 2024, 02:03 PM

sounds like a door slamming NOW
Old April 18th, 2024, 06:40 PM

Old April 18th, 2024, 06:47 PM
Past owned:

Unfortunately, this is nothing new. MSD was copied a few years ago, and I believe the fakes were also sold through Summit and Jegs. The Chinese Government makes billions on this stuff. Rolexes, Gibson Les-Pauls, etc are bootlegged a thousand times over. Nothing will be done by our own Government.
Old April 18th, 2024, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by cfair

Chris
This statement is far more concerning than the parts that we install on our collector cars. When an individual purchases “fake” parts for their collector car, the sole victim is the owner/next owner of the car. Aircraft parts are designed by professional engineers and are fabricated using materials that are designed to withstand the stresses that aircraft endure during flight. (This is why parts manufactured for aviation are regulated by the FAA)…well in the US. The potential for component failure followed by catastrophic failure and loss of life with uncertified parts is unlimited. I am surprised that counterfeiters go to the trouble for such small apples, perhaps it’s the lack of resources/concern for investigation/liability. Ain’t these GREAT times we’re living in??!😂
Old April 18th, 2024, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by OLE442
Read Peter Schweizer's latest book, "Blood Money" and see just how SOLD OUT our Government and a large majority of our politicians are!
Blood Money: Why the Powerful Turn a Blind Eye While China Kills Americans: Schweizer, Peter: 9780063061194: Amazon.com: Books

So yeah, beware of the C-H-I-N-A made products and counterfeited parts and Buy American as best you can. There's a reason the not so friends of America didn't want POTUS TRUMP to get a second term and why they don't want him re-elected in 2024! We are at a crossroads in this country. This post is JMHO! Car parts are our least worry!
If you think Kim Jung Un, Xi Jinping or Valdimir Putin don't want Trump to be re-elected, you are sadly mistaken. They had had him eating out of their hand. Remember the Helsinki Summit in 2018 ? Remember exchanging "Love letters" with Kim Jung Un and stepping across the border into North Korea ? Remember Trump inviting XI Jinping to Mar A Loco to impress him. Trump wants to be "One of the boys".
Why does Ivanka Trump have so many Chinese patents ? Why are Trumps ties manufactured in China ? JMVHO
Old April 18th, 2024, 09:11 PM

Reading this made me remember when President Bill declared China was a “preferred trading partner”.
Old April 18th, 2024, 09:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
If you think Kim Jung Un, Xi Jinping or Valdimir Putin don't want Trump to be re-elected, you are sadly mistaken. They had had him eating out of their hand. Remember the Helsinki Summit in 2018 ? Remember exchanging "Love letters" with Kim Jung Un and stepping across the border into North Korea ? Remember Trump inviting XI Jinping to Mar A Loco to impress him. Trump wants to be "One of the boys".
Why does Ivanka Trump have so many Chinese patents ? Why are Trumps ties manufactured in China ? JMVHO
Amen Brother. So many sheeple. It's a damn shame that we live in the country that we do and we only have these two???
Unreal
Old April 19th, 2024, 05:19 AM
Old School Olds

Might as well share while the thread is still open. This will open your eyes.

Old April 19th, 2024, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Might as well share while the thread is still open. This will open your eyes.

https://youtu.be/xguam0TKMw8
Excellent video on how power comes and goes in the world..it’s clear where we are as a nation.
Old April 19th, 2024, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Andy
Excellent video on how power comes and goes in the world..it’s clear where we are as a nation.
It doesn't help when a large percentage of our government are selling us down the river. For those of you who read....read the book "Blood Money" and you'll see it's a concerted effort and not just by the CCP on their own. At my age, this is most likely my last election and probably the most important!
Old April 19th, 2024, 02:30 PM

I’m surprised this is still open.

Another comment from my grandfather that really stuck in my head:

My grandfather asked me if I could think of anything the Japanese invented. Only thing I could think of was the Sony Walkman. I was probably 8 or 9 years old, the Sony Walkman was everywhere at that time.

I remember him pointing his finger at me and saying “Exactly!!! Look what the Japanese have done with TVs, VCRs, computers, home electronics, etc. They don’t invent anything, but give them an idea and they will improve the hell out of it!!”

While I have no doubt the Japanese have invented things, and his lecture was no doubt deeply rooted in his youth mindset and military service, for the most part he was absolutely right.

Unfortunately, today it’s not just the Japanese, it’s everywhere.
Old April 19th, 2024, 02:42 PM
Administrator

No politics, thread closed