Best EFI Fuel Pressure Regulator

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2022, 05:15 PM

Best EFI Fuel Pressure Regulator

Any suggestions for an EFI Fuel Pressure Regulator (40-65 psi)?

Aeromotive seems like it has a good regulator
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-13136

as does Holley
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-846

I'm running an Aeromotive in-tank 340 Phantom EFI pump.

Last edited by pettrix; June 14th, 2022 at 05:21 PM.
Old June 14th, 2022, 06:26 PM
Gary

I chose the Aeromotive regulator. However a few months after I bought it, RobbMc brought out a regulator that seals against pressure loss (car will restart faster).

I've used many of his products and they have all been well-made. I'd get his regulator if I were buying today. https://www.robbmcperformance.com/pr...ulator_fi.html

Last edited by VC455; June 14th, 2022 at 06:28 PM. Reason: added link
Old June 15th, 2022, 01:35 AM

The Holley horse c⁰ck.
Old June 15th, 2022, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by VC455
I chose the Aeromotive regulator. However a few months after I bought it, RobbMc brought out a regulator that seals against pressure loss (car will restart faster).

I've used many of his products and they have all been well-made. I'd get his regulator if I were buying today. https://www.robbmcperformance.com/pr...ulator_fi.html
The RobbMC regulator is a carb regulator? All I found on his site was for a carb, nothing for EFI.
Old June 15th, 2022, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by fleming442
The Holley horse c⁰ck.
What's wrong with the Holley fuel pressure regulator?
Old June 15th, 2022, 09:31 AM

AEM or Magnafuel would be my first choices.
Old June 15th, 2022, 10:39 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by pettrix
The RobbMC regulator is a carb regulator? All I found on his site was for a carb, nothing for EFI.
If my link doesn't work for you, look for Robb's Fuel Injection Bypass Regulator -- PN 1047.
Old June 15th, 2022, 10:49 AM

If my link doesn't work for you, look for Robb's Fuel Injection Bypass Regulator -- PN 1047.
Got it! Thanks!

Looks like a quality piece for $100.
Are the fittings -6 or -8 ?
Old June 15th, 2022, 01:38 PM
Gary

Are the fittings -6 or -8 ?
The (3) inlet and outlet ports are 3/8" NPT; The return port is 1/2" NPT. You can choose the fitting size.

Dash 6 is good to 750 HP and -8 to 1500 HP.
Old June 16th, 2022, 01:56 PM

The (3) inlet and outlet ports are 3/8" NPT; The return port is 1/2" NPT. You can choose the fitting size.

Dash 6 is good to 750 HP and -8 to 1500 HP.
Well, I ordered it up and should arrive next week. It's USA made and seems like a good piece for $100. Better than spending $200 on a Chinese made Holley.
Old June 16th, 2022, 02:20 PM

What is a good PTFE fuel hose to get for EFI?

Summit sells a Fragola -6 PTFE-lined stainless fuel hose for $144 (20' length) https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fra-602026
Old July 3rd, 2022, 03:41 PM

I am running the 12-846 Holley efi pressure regulator for a few reasons…

It holds the pressure rock solid at 43psi.

It has large internal passages and will bypass a ton of fuel so it doesn’t cause fuel pressure climb when you use very large pumps. I am currently running dual 340lph pumps and it has no problem with pressure creep.

It is a Holley, so it will have parts support for likely a long time when I need a rebuild kit (spring, diaphragm) or parts.

I bought it open box for $80 from a guy who decided to stay carbureted…

No squeal or noise when working (I had an aeromotive regulator that always had a high pitched humming sound at the pressure I needed to run-55psi on that one and it was rated to 75psi), also, I had problems with getting service parts from Aeromotive.

I run large fuel rails with 3/4 ID and an 8AN inlet, connector hose, and 8AN return to the regulator inlet, which then has a 6an return line.

My pressure side is plumbed with 8AN all the way to the rails, running Earls (I think) line in and out, but it is not PTFE, but will work and withstand pure ethanol.

All of the name brand companies make good PTFE hose, just find the best deal and make sure the fittings you want to run will work with it.

If you think you will step up the power later (550hp+) on with boost or more horsepower NA, go with an 8AN pressure line instead of -6an, as -8AN as been proven to well over 900hp.

Last edited by Battenrunner; July 3rd, 2022 at 03:55 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2022, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Battenrunner
I am running the 12-846 Holley efi pressure regulator for a few reasons…

It holds the pressure rock solid at 43psi.

It has large internal passages and will bypass a ton of fuel so it doesn’t cause fuel pressure climb when you use very large pumps. I am currently running dual 340lph pumps and it has no problem with pressure creep.

It is a Holley, so it will have parts support for likely a long time when I need a rebuild kit (spring, diaphragm) or parts.

I bought it open box for $80 from a guy who decided to stay carbureted…

No squeal or noise when working (I had an aeromotive regulator that always had a high pitched humming sound at the pressure I needed to run-55psi on that one and it was rated to 75psi), also, I had problems with getting service parts from Aeromotive.

I run large fuel rails with 3/4 ID and an 8AN inlet, connector hose, and 8AN return to the regulator inlet, which then has a 6an return line.

My pressure side is plumbed with 8AN all the way to the rails, running Earls (I think) line in and out, but it is not PTFE, but will work and withstand pure ethanol.

All of the name brand companies make good PTFE hose, just find the best deal and make sure the fittings you want to run will work with it.

If you think you will step up the power later (550hp+) on with boost or more horsepower NA, go with an 8AN pressure line instead of -6an, as -8AN as been proven to well over 900hp.
Your Holley is a good fuel pressure regulator. You got a great deal at that price.

I got the RobbMc Fuel Pressure Regulator as it had good reviews, is USA made and is billet. Plus the price at $100 was a good deal for an EFI regulator. Hopefully it works out well.

I read that the 700 HP Hellcat uses a -6AN (3/8") fuel pressure line so the claim is that -6AN lines are good to around 750-800HP with EFI. On a carburetor that sees only 5-7 psi instead of 40-55psi, a -8AN line is needed for carburetor applications that see 500HP+. The higher pressure of EFI will allow for more fuel flow with -6AN. Carb guys that go north of 500HP+ and only have a -6AN (3/8) line run the risk of running out of fuel in WOT 1/4 mile runs. Especially guys running stock Q-Jets which had really poor fuel retention.

I am going with the Fragola PTFE -6AN fuel line. The problem I have discovered with rubber lines is that they have a 5-7 year life even with gasoline (10% Ethanol) and that drops down to 3-5 years for E85. The line gets brittle and starts to permeate fuel vapors through the line. There is a reason WHY modern cars use steel lines and special polymer lines when it comes to areas that require movement. PTFE lines cost more but well worth it.

Last edited by pettrix; July 3rd, 2022 at 04:26 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2022, 07:04 PM
Rodney

Gates Barricade EFI Hose

Napa sells Gates Barricade which is an excellent low permeation hose for use with modern fuels. It is designed to withstand long-term exposure to ethanol in the fuel. I used this on my project where the hoses wouldn't be seen. Here's a link.

Rodney

https://www.napabeltshose.com/~/medi...hure.pdf?la=en
Old July 3rd, 2022, 09:21 PM

Your Holley is a good fuel pressure regulator. You got a great deal at that price.

I got the RobbMc Fuel Pressure Regulator as it had good reviews, is USA made and is billet. Plus the price at $100 was a good deal for an EFI regulator. Hopefully it works out well.

I read that the 700 HP Hellcat uses a -6AN (3/8") fuel pressure line so the claim is that -6AN lines are good to around 750-800HP with EFI. On a carburetor that sees only 5-7 psi instead of 40-55psi, a -8AN line is needed for carburetor applications that see 500HP+. The higher pressure of EFI will allow for more fuel flow with -6AN. Carb guys that go north of 500HP+ and only have a -6AN (3/8) line run the risk of running out of fuel in WOT 1/4 mile runs. Especially guys running stock Q-Jets which had really poor fuel retention.

I am going with the Fragola PTFE -6AN fuel line. The problem I have discovered with rubber lines is that they have a 5-7 year life even with gasoline (10% Ethanol) and that drops down to 3-5 years for E85. The line gets brittle and starts to permeate fuel vapors through the line. There is a reason WHY modern cars use steel lines and special polymer lines when it comes to areas that require movement. PTFE lines cost more but well worth it.
I like those RobbMC regulators, I don’t think you can go wrong there. They look good and I like and have used his products.

I tend to go overboard with hose and battery cable sizes!

I know -6AN will hold a lot of power, but I always like lots of headroom for volume.

The PTFE hose is great and will last a long time. That Gates barricade hose looks good also; I bet it can only be used with anything but barb fittings and spring clamps.

I also have pie-in-the-sky horsepower hopes for the future, so I went with -8AN….

There is non-ethanol premium, e10 premium, and E85 available near where I live. I currently only run non-ethanol premium in it.

The future for me might mean boost or some bottle feeding…. Depending on how the ol’ block holds together.