455 Milodon Windage Tray

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2022 | 08:41 AM

455 Milodon Windage Tray

I searched and did not find direct answers to questions below but only conflicting info. I posted this in the racing and just assumed people have more experience with this here:

1. Does a windage tray in a 455 with standard volume pump help control oil flow back into the pan better (as opposed to not having one)?
2. Does the block need to be lined honed with the Milodon studs installed? 81219 kit comes with 4 studs for 2 mains.
3. Is a windage overkill for a street motor?

Thanks in advance!
Old April 14th, 2022 | 09:12 AM

Just get a Canton pan and run 6qts.
Yes, any boring should be done with components in place and torqued to spec.
Old April 14th, 2022 | 09:43 AM
Duh

Originally Posted by MO Olds 2022
1. Does a windage tray in a 455 with standard volume pump help control oil flow back into the pan better (as opposed to not having one)?
2. Does the block need to be lined honed with the Milodon studs installed? 81219 kit comes with 4 studs for 2 mains.
3. Is a windage overkill for a street motor?
1. In my OPINION from my EXPERIENCES a properly designed windage tray should help oil return. The oil pan can have direct impact on how well it works. The job of the tray is to isolate the rotating assembly windage from the pan.

2. In my OPINION from my EXPERIENCES if you already have studs you should be able to install without any issues. If you have bolts I would install, torque and measure. If it comes up out of spec you need to fix. I have heard of guys just throwing them in without any issues but can' not confirm.

3. In my OPINION from my EXPERIENCES anything you can do to help oil control in a performance application is always a plus.

In my OPINION from my EXPERIENCES as far as the effectiveness of the Milodon unit I have no hard data. I have used it with no ill effect. From my EXPERIENCES the one from Mondello is prone to cracking.

Last edited by Duh; April 14th, 2022 at 10:53 AM.
Old April 14th, 2022 | 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Duh
From my EXPERIENCES the one from Mondello is prone to cracking.
Which Mondello? Mondello Performance, or Bernard Mondello Racing Enterprises?
Old April 14th, 2022 | 03:39 PM
Duh

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
Which Mondello? Mondello Performance, or Bernard Mondello Racing Enterprises?
Modelo performance, not Bernard.
Old April 14th, 2022 | 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Duh
Modelo performance, not Bernard.
Good to know, thanks. I'll be using Bernard's oiling system so wanted to make sure!
Old April 14th, 2022 | 04:24 PM
Duh

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
Good to know, thanks. I'll be using Bernard's oiling system so wanted to make sure!
I haven't bought anything from Mondello Performance since Joe sold the place so I can't comment on the current products. I have bought from Bernard in the last two years. I received exactly what I ordered.
Old April 16th, 2022 | 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by fleming442
Just get a Canton pan and run 6qts.
Yes, any boring should be done with components in place and torqued to spec.
I actually picked up a Thornton 6.25 qts already but at least it's more than stock. Thanks for the advice.
Old April 16th, 2022 | 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Duh
1. In my OPINION from my EXPERIENCES a properly designed windage tray should help oil return. The oil pan can have direct impact on how well it works. The job of the tray is to isolate the rotating assembly windage from the pan.

2. In my OPINION from my EXPERIENCES if you already have studs you should be able to install without any issues. If you have bolts I would install, torque and measure. If it comes up out of spec you need to fix. I have heard of guys just throwing them in without any issues but can' not confirm.

3. In my OPINION from my EXPERIENCES anything you can do to help oil control in a performance application is always a plus.

In my OPINION from my EXPERIENCES as far as the effectiveness of the Milodon unit I have no hard data. I have used it with no ill effect. From my EXPERIENCES the one from Mondello is prone to cracking.
Your response and info is most appreciated. I will have a little bigger oil pan (point #1) but bought the Milodon windage tray, although on back order for several weeks like everything else. Thanks again for sharing your experiences.