WTB Pulleys and brackets for 350 to 455 (tall valve covers)

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2018, 11:07 AM

WTB Pulleys and brackets for 350 to 455 (tall valve covers)

Hey everyone. I've got a 1968 Cutlass S. I've pulled out the stock 350 and put in a custom 455 with tall valve covers. I'm looking for the necessary parts to keep the alternator on the drivers side but clear the tall valve covers. I'm not sure what all is entailed but the guy doing the work has quoted me $800 for a kit containing new brackets and pulleys. I'd like to pay quite a bit less than that. I'm seeking advice as to what I need over at https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ml#post1097263 . Please PM me with any leads. Also, thanks for your patience with this newbie as he puts together his high school dream car
Old May 23rd, 2018, 12:42 PM

pm sent
Old May 23rd, 2018, 01:44 PM
72 Olds CS

can you use shorter valve covers ?
Old May 24th, 2018, 09:20 AM

I have a full set of 68 brackets for with AC so alternator on drivers side.

email direct lemoldsnut@aol.com

Larry
541-815-4363
Old May 25th, 2018, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
can you use shorter valve covers ?
I can't seem to find a set of valve covers that will clear my roller rockers. I had a nice set of M/T s that shattered as soon as we fired it up. We thought it had clearance but apparently not enough. Does anyone have any leads on "slightly taller" valve covers that might work?
Old May 25th, 2018, 09:57 AM

Valve cover spacers are a viable possibility. I used factory "oldsmobile" stamped covers with spacers over roller rockers on a 455 due to cast aluminum aftermarket covers would not clear the heater fan without alteration to either the cover or the fan motor/housing on my 67 442
Old May 26th, 2018, 04:28 AM

Alt bracket

I run the very tall GMPP cast valve covers on my engine using only the front half of the AC alternator bracket that bolts to the head. Just leave off the rear "H" brace that goes over the valve cover. The front bracket is very sturdy and I haven't had any problems, even on race engines. I actually prefer using the front AC bracket than using the stock, 3 piece, non AC passenger side bracket.
Old May 29th, 2018, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by yorkman
I run the very tall GMPP cast valve covers on my engine using only the front half of the AC alternator bracket that bolts to the head. Just leave off the rear "H" brace that goes over the valve cover. The front bracket is very sturdy and I haven't had any problems, even on race engines. I actually prefer using the front AC bracket than using the stock, 3 piece, non AC passenger side bracket.
That might actually be a better solution to my problem. Yorkman are you able to send me a link to the exact covers you use? Maybe the gasket too. It would be a very big help. Also, I was in your neck of the woods all weekend. Just flew back home across the country last night. I bet that beautiful blue Cutlass gets a lot of attention on the island, huh?
Old May 29th, 2018, 06:07 PM

tall valve covers

This is a picture of the GMPP valve covers I used. These are no longer in production but they seem to be easy to find. They were originally a sand cast finish, but I had them polished by Badd Andy on the ROP web site. They are the 80's version with plain block lettering. There are earlier versions with the Oldsmobile name in script. Use a regular VC gasket. Similar covers are sold by Rocket Racing, Mondello with their names on them. These are very tall, I believe rocker arm girdles fit under them.
Old May 29th, 2018, 06:33 PM

tall valve covers

PS- The GMPP (General Motors Performance Parts) valve covers will not fit with the stock 11" diameter power brake booster. I used them for a while with an 8" dual diaphragm booster and slight grinding of a fin or two. They work fine with Manual brakes or a Hydro-boost system as seen in my picture. You must drill or machine the holes for breathers and PCV, but they are worth it.