WTB: Offenhauser 5589 Oldsmobile big block low rise dual quad intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2024, 11:35 AM

Question WTB: Offenhauser 5589 Oldsmobile big block low rise dual quad intake manifold

As the tittle states, I am looking for a relatively clean Offenhauser 5589 Oldsmobile big block low rise dual quad intake manifold. I have seen some really ratty ones here and there, but am looking for a reasonably clean one. If anybody has one stashed way, let me know about it! I have had a brand new one on order for over a year now, but they keep pushing the date back every time it gets within the 45 day mark, leading me to believe they are trying to gather up enough orders to justify another run at the foundry. At the rate this is going, I am starting to lose hope that this will actually happen.

Soooooo, take a look in your stash guys and let me know if you may be sitting on a relatively clean unmolested one that we may be able to work something out on. Pics would be great either posted here in response or through the private message system.

Thank you kindly - let me know!

Paul

Last edited by Clark455; May 20th, 2024 at 01:25 PM.
Old May 20th, 2024, 11:45 AM
MOTORHEAD

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/pts/d/osseo-olds-big-block-dual-quad-455/77413

I have one advertised on local to me craigslist AD with pictures
minneapolis c/l OLDS Big Block Dual Quad 455 Aluminum Intake NEW Condition - auto parts - by owner - vehicle automotive sale -... (craigslist.org)
Old May 20th, 2024, 02:13 PM

Thumbs up Odd to see a three bolt pattern

I know they exist out there in the wild, and here we go. I wonder what the third bolt pattern could possibly fit? I see the usual Rochester Q jet pattern and the Holley 4150, but heck if I can hazard a guess as to what that third bolt pattern could accommodate.

Anyway, I've got my order in at Atech for $744 as of March 17, 2023, currently showing "Expected to Ship From Manufacturer June 29, 2024"

One move would be to cancel my order with Atech / Summit, have the credit to come back to my card, then move this money around to turn it into cash to chase this manifold down. This manifold must be at least 35-40 years old by the looks of the mild corrosion and the mounting design with separate barrel holes, as I have previously owned 2 of these about 35-30 years ago that looked exactly like the picture I have posted with the commonized plenum design.

I think my best move is going to be to make some calls into Offenhauser tomorrow and see if I can get anybody there to tell me IF they are actually really going to run anymore of these or not. This IS a good find - thank you for passing this along, as it may actually end up under my hood unless somebody buys it out from under me. With a careful glass bead blast it will light it right back up. It will be getting port fuel injector bungs TIG welded into it.

Summary? Thank you kindly for passing this along. A call into Offenhauser may seal the deal on this intake. Then I have to sweet talk you into picking it up for me and working with me to get it packaged up and shipped.

This is what this intake manifold is going to be used for:
Twin Supercharged 535 Olds Rocket Block Build

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it, right? This guy selling this intake knows what he's got...

Paul...
Old May 20th, 2024, 02:21 PM
MOTORHEAD

I think EARLY Rochester 4 JET Carb is the small square pattern
Old May 20th, 2024, 02:24 PM
MOTORHEAD

I own the manifold on craigslist. It is displayed on a bookshelf in my basement now
Old May 20th, 2024, 02:45 PM

Thumbs up Cool - speaking with the actual owner of the intake!

As the title of the post says, I didn't realize that you actually own this intake - missed that - that makes this potentially better still. Soooo... how long have you had this intake? It is definitely an early version of the 5589 design. Hmmm - I suppose I need to see if I can cut through enough red tape over at Offenhauser to see if they are actually really going to do another run of these. Depending on what they say (pending me being able to actually get a proper answer out of them), this conversation may indeed shift gears into me pursuing your intake shortly.

Was this something you had been toying with installing and never happened? I always think back to the days I ran a couple of these intakes calling the induction sound they made as "Eight Barrels of Joy", sounding like they were going to suck the hood right into the engine when you dropped the hammer - VERY unique sound (running Carter AFB's on them). BOOWAAAHHHHHHH !!!! Rather friendly on a daily driver I ran for a couple of years.

OK - let me see what I can glean out of trying to get through to anybody over there at Offenhauser. Watching them consistently push back the production date countless times already, I believe we will be doing business.

Thank you kindly!

Paul

Last edited by Clark455; May 20th, 2024 at 02:48 PM.
Old May 20th, 2024, 02:55 PM
MOTORHEAD

Good luck with the manufacturer. Hopefully they can help you out.
If not plan B
You can buy mine
brian

There is nothing like the "Loud Sucking Sound" from the multiple carbs. I took the 3 Two Barrel intake off my Cutlass last weekend. I had enough of the Shock and Awe. Plan to go back to single 4 BBL.

I never got a chance to put on dual quads. But I did buy the manifold....
Old May 21st, 2024, 01:56 PM
MOTORHEAD

Old May 21st, 2024, 03:11 PM

Thumbs up Wow - three deuce Olds :)

Way cool to see a 3 deuce Olds intake! Almost want to buy that one from you to, even if it is just to hang on the wall as "Way Cool Garage Art and Decor"

Most do seem to eventually switch back to a standard four barrel carb, as the three deuces can be temperamental. I'm venturing a guess that it ran good on Tuesday, ran bad on Thursday, and was a wild card for any other day of the week? Were the outer two carbs vacuum actuated or live linkage in your installation?

I have the wheels in motion to verify the standing of my existing Offenhauser order. I doubt they are going to come back with any good news. I have been told that I will receive a concise response back within 48 hours. A crisp clean brand new intake of their latest version from them is the hope, but I am prepared to hear the "SORRY - NO GO JOE"...

Please hold that intake for me!

Paul
Old May 21st, 2024, 03:29 PM
MOTORHEAD

Hello Paul
I will take the ad off C/List
Sale pending to you

I had "stock" mechanical linkage for the carbs.
Tri Carbon was a fun adventure

Old May 21st, 2024, 04:14 PM

Talking * Thank you kindly !!! *

Hi Brian - thank you VERY much for accommodating me - just about went to sleep last night staring at the ceiling thinking about your intake. I didn't think I was going to paint myself into this corner years ago when I sold off my previous Offy DQ intake, and now here I am kicking myself (go figure).

I have worked with many 3 deuce packages over the years finding they have many pro's and con's. Most all were as described, running differently at any given day / time / temperature making me hang onto the cars for days on end test driving under all different conditions to get them tuned in best as possible. Seems like most all were sensitive to heat soak / underhood temps. I managed to get most all "happy", but one Mopar customer came back 8 weeks later with an Edelbrock carb and intake combo saying "get rid of this damned Six Pack already". As I was loading his parts into his trunk, he said he didn't want them, and I sternly said "are you sure?" and he said yes, he did not want these parts. I made another Mopar guy really happy when I told him I had a Six Pack setup we could put on his 440 GTX. One mans junk is another man's treasure I suppose. Now I am indeed focused upon the Offy DQ intake, but am thinking how cool it would be to hang that triple carb Olds intake on the wall here at the shop. Things that make you smile every time you walk past them are lost on others, but can certainly put that gleam in your eye every time. Now I'm trying to contain myself about making an offer on buying both intakes from you, but the other side of my brain is saying COOL IT THERE BUD lol...

Thanks again for accommodating me, as I am starting to believe I should buy your DQ intake even if Offy comes back saying they are indeed going to fulfill my standing order at some point. With what I plan on doing on the 535 build, there may indeed be merit to the 8 individual plenum butterfly ports on your vintage version over the later model commonized plenum design.

Old May 21st, 2024, 06:29 PM

Thumbs up Sold !!!

After thinking about this intake, carefully studying the design differences between this one you have versus the later production versions, I want it even if the other one I currently have on order was to eventually come through. Soooo.... THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WORKING WITH ME ON THIS

SOLD !

PM sent
Old May 21st, 2024, 06:40 PM

Talking 3 Deuce Intake

Any thoughts on selling your 3 Deuce intake? A good sandblasting, followed by a meticulous glass bead blasting, then coated and hung on the wall in the front office here would be awesome. I will say that it would be kind of a shame to take a cool functional part in good shape out of service though just as a wall flower, so may be best to see if anybody else may want to actually run it. But, I say again, that would be an item to hang on the wall right next to my drop top Cutlass wall tin.