WTB HVAC Blower Resistor GM 419214

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2017, 05:00 AM

WTB HVAC Blower Resistor GM 419214

I need an NOS or known good used GM 419214 four-prong HVAC blower resistor for our '76 Cutlass. Research indicates that they were also used in '75 and that they fit other GM A-bodies.

The "new ones" sold today by such as Rock Auto do not fit the blower housing correctly, nor can they be installed without hacking the wiring. See photo for correct piece.

Jeff

Old September 24th, 2020, 12:34 PM

Did you end up with a resolution to this

Hi, I know his might be a shot in the dark but I’m wondering if you ever managed to figure out how to make this work. I am currently in the same position. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by John Lowc; September 24th, 2020 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Title
Old September 24th, 2020, 03:20 PM

John, Welcome to the site! So, are you looking for the correct part or are you trying to make an aftermarket one work? Thanks, Bob.
Old September 24th, 2020, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN269V
John, Welcome to the site! So, are you looking for the correct part or are you trying to make an aftermarket one work? Thanks, Bob.
Either would be fine with me. I just want my blower to work on high again. I did already purchase the only one I can find available and a harness to connect it but I don’t know which wires will connect where because they’re not the same colors.

I would definitely return them if I can find the correct OEM style part.

Thanks,
John
Old September 25th, 2020, 05:54 AM

John, the resolution to the problem was that I finally decided to check the China-made aftermarket blower relay that I had installed two years prior. Yep, that was the real problem. So I found an NOS relay on eBay, installed it and I have had no HVAC problems since (other than that stupid underhood blower fuse blowing any time it feels like it, just as it has done, well, forever --- I simply carry several spares).

If your blower resistor is well and truly cooked, save an eBay search for an NOS piece and be prepared to pay some $$$.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Jeff
Old September 25th, 2020, 02:37 PM

Question

[QUOTE=John Lowc;1281574.......I did already purchase the only one I can find available and a harness to connect it...........[/QUOTE]

First of all what year is your vehicle? Secondly, why did you need a harness? Thanks, Bob.
Old September 27th, 2020, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by 76CutlassSalon
John, the resolution to the problem was that I finally decided to check the China-made aftermarket blower relay that I had installed two years prior. Yep, that was the real problem. So I found an NOS relay on eBay, installed it and I have had no HVAC problems since (other than that stupid underhood blower fuse blowing any time it feels like it, just as it has done, well, forever --- I simply carry several spares).

If your blower resistor is well and truly cooked, save an eBay search for an NOS piece and be prepared to pay some $$$.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Jeff
Jeff,
If you don’t mind, what was the original issue you were having? Mine just won’t work on High. It basically runs at the “low” speed when switched to high. Maybe it is the relay?

Thanks,
John
Old September 27th, 2020, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN269V
First of all what year is your vehicle? Secondly, why did you need a harness? Thanks, Bob.
Bob,
It’s a 1977 so the same style as the OP. I bought the harness thinking I could retrofit the new style resistor. Because I didn’t really have any other options.

Thanks,
John
Old September 27th, 2020, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by John Lowc
Jeff,
If you don’t mind, what was the original issue you were having? Mine just won’t work on High. It basically runs at the “low” speed when switched to high. Maybe it is the relay?

Thanks,
John
John,

Yes, that is the exactly the symptom mine presented with. The NOS GM relay solved the problem.

Jeff
Old September 28th, 2020, 08:02 AM

John,

Yes, that is the exactly the symptom mine presented with. The NOS GM relay solved the problem.

Jeff
Jeff,
Do you happen to have a link to that part by chance?

Thanks,
John
Old September 28th, 2020, 04:11 PM

John,

I can't find a link going back to my original eBay purchase, but here is the only listing I found online:

https://autopartsobsolete.com/1966-t...ay-412687.html

As nearly as I can tell using my original G.M.-issued parts manual, 412687 is the only correct number for this part.

i couldn't find anything on eBay that I was confident would work properly. Definitely compare the contact pattern on the bottom of your old relay to any that you may contemplate buying; I notice that there seems to be more than one pattern that sellers claim will be compatible with a '76 Olds.

Best of luck, and let me know how you make out.

Jeff
Old September 28th, 2020, 04:15 PM

John,

I can't find a link going back to my original eBay purchase, but here is the only listing I found online:

https://autopartsobsolete.com/1966-t...ay-412687.html

As nearly as I can tell using my original G.M.-issued parts manual, 412687 is the only correct number for this part.

i couldn't find anything on eBay that I was confident would work properly. Definitely compare the contact pattern on the bottom of your old relay to any that you may contemplate buying; I notice that there seems to be more than one pattern that sellers claim will be compatible with a '76 Olds.

Best of luck, and let me know how you make out.

Jeff
Jeff,
I was able to source one locally and I will have it on Wednesday. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

John
Old September 28th, 2020, 04:22 PM

John,

I thing GM used them on about everything over time. You can still find them as aftermarket replacements, but if you buy one of those it may only last for a year or so as my Four Seasons replacement did --- hence my hunt last year for an OEM piece.

Jeff