WTB: 69 442 Front Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2014, 05:41 PM

WTB: 69 442 Front Sway Bar

I need a front sway bar for a 442. It's 31/32", pretty common for 442, you can id it from the end of the bar and refer to the chart in post 11 of this link. http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...41-Suspension& Straight and not too crusty please. Thanks guys!
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:34 PM

I have a few from the '70-'72 FE2 suspension if they are the same for '69? Where are you?
Old December 10th, 2014, 08:10 PM

Hey Scott, I'm in MA 02771. Did you look at the chart in my post? It's from an Olds assembly manual. Some later ones might be the same...you can tell from the bar end if it's the one I'm looking for. It was used other years. My friend Bob posted a question for one of your cruise parts. Let me know.....

Last edited by mrolds69; December 11th, 2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old December 11th, 2014, 07:16 AM

The chart shows the same one that Olds. used. I'll check mine again to be sure & get pix. I did talk to Bob & am awaiting payment.
Scott
Old December 11th, 2014, 07:46 AM

Thanks Scott! Let me know....
Old December 11th, 2014, 08:22 AM

what does senior presevation mean
Old December 11th, 2014, 09:05 AM

You go to National meets like the Olds or Buick Clubs of America, and have your car judged. Your car is put in a class and gets so many points. My 442 is put in the 68-69 Performance Class + gets so many points + wins 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or nothing, depending on the point count. There could be 20 cars in that class, and multiple 1st, 2nd, + 3rd awards. ONE car...the highest point car out of the 20 wins Best of Class (BOC). You might have to go a few years to win BOC, or not. That BOC car is technically a "junior" winner, and is bounced from any other Nats 68-69 class FOREVER! Doesn't matter if the car is sold, that car is a BOC and can't compete again in the "junior" class. If it competes again at the Nats, it is now moved up into the Senior class. In my case the senior class is ALL BOC cars from 1960-70 (I think). You are competing against ALL cars that have already won BOC in their class, it could be Starfire convertibles, 442's, Toronados, Deltas, Vista Cruisers, etc. ONE car is again picked as BOC...the "best of the best" for that 10 year period and awarded "Senior Preservation". It has nothing to do with your age! It's a very difficult award to get. I know of people who have gone 12-15 times trying to get that award. So, to put things in perspective, I think OCA started in 1972 or so. In my senior class there have been 42 preservation awards given. That is 42 Senior Preservation awards given for that 10 year period ALL MODELS. It's the highest recognition award given from the OCA or BCA. Many peeps will say "big deal", who cares? I built both my cars myself and I'm very proud of that. It IS a big deal!
Old December 11th, 2014, 09:14 AM

the bars were used multiple years and multiple lines, ie chevy/buick/olds/pontiac.

Originally Posted by mrolds69
You go to National meets like the Olds or Buick Clubs of America, and have your car judged. Your car is put in a class and gets so many points. My 442 is put in the 68-69 Performance Class + gets so many points + wins 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or nothing, depending on the point count. There could be 20 cars in that class, and multiple 1st, 2nd, + 3rd awards. ONE car...the highest point car out of the 20 wins Best of Class (BOC). You might have to go a few years to win BOC, or not. That BOC car is technically a "junior" winner, and is bounced from any other Nats 68-69 class FOREVER! Doesn't matter if the car is sold, that car is a BOC and can't compete again in the "junior" class. If it competes again at the Nats, it is now moved up into the Senior class. In my case the senior class is ALL BOC cars from 1960-70 (I think). You are competing against ALL cars that have already won BOC in their class, it could be Starfire convertibles, 442's, Toronados, Deltas, Vista Cruisers, etc. ONE car is again picked as BOC...the "best of the best" for that 10 year period and awarded "Senior Preservation". It has nothing to do with your age! It's a very difficult award to get. I know of people who have gone 12-15 times trying to get that award. So, to put things in perspective, I think OCA started in 1972 or so. In my senior class there have been 42 preservation awards given. That is 42 Senior Preservation awards given for that 10 year period ALL MODELS. It's the highest recognition award given from the OCA or BCA. Many peeps will say "big deal", who cares? I built both my cars myself and I'm very proud of that. It IS a big deal!
Ah, I gotcha. when you said senior preservation in the other thread, I thought that meant it had to have original parts, not reproductions. ie kinda like the mustang thoroughbreed class.
and to nit pick, you would be 68-69 performance class closed, right, because it's not a convertible as that would be 68-69 performance class open.
Old December 11th, 2014, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
what does senior presevation mean
Embalming!
Old December 11th, 2014, 10:34 AM

Funny Scott! Thanks for the extra bar info. Right...68-69 performance closed class at first. But once you kick up to the "Senior" class, it can be anything...convertibles, H/O's, SX's, Cutlasses...whatever. It does not mean your car is 100% "original", unrestored, or has 100% NOS or OEM parts. It just means it's recognized by the National club as one of the best + most correct appearing examples in the world of that particular model. Typically, Senior cars have been "professionally" restored for huge $. Most original low mile cars aren't good enough to compete. You must have a minimum mileage to compete, you can't compete with a car with say 3K miles on it. Sounds crazy, but it's true. I have 2 Senior cars under my belt and am working on my 3rd. I know of one guy in the OCA who has personally restored like 9 or 10 Senior Preservation cars, most for other people. He is a one man army, very capable + fussy. People know of his reputation and seek him out. It may take him years to do one car. He restored the 69 W32 'vert that is the same sable color as mine. I think in the last 8 or 9 years or so, he's responsible for 3-4 of the Senior Preservation winners in that 1960-70 class.