Wheel (14 inch) for 68 442 disc brake car

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2009, 08:18 PM

Wheel (14 inch) for 68 442 disc brake car

I need a 14 inch wheel for a '68 442.
The wheel must fit a disc brake car.
I am located in Bakersfield, Califonia about 100 miles north of Los Angeles.
The wheel will be used only for a spare tire, as the vehicle I purchased did not have a spare tire or jack.
Thanks,
Jim
Old October 24th, 2009, 08:52 PM

Welcome to the site! Would you please post a picture of the wheels you have? Are they plain steel wheels with the small dog dish hubcaps, or a rally wheel like the SSI or SSII? John
Old October 25th, 2009, 01:32 AM

Weren't the 68 disks a multi-piston caliper that is different from all the rest?
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Welcome to the site! Would you please post a picture of the wheels you have? Are they plain steel wheels with the small dog dish hubcaps, or a rally wheel like the SSI or SSII? John
Thank you for welcoming me.
The wheels on my '68 are rally wheels. Because I only want a wheel for a spare tire, I could use either a rally wheel or a plain steel wheel, provided either could be used with a disc brake car.
Is that correct?
I do not know the difference between the SSI and SSII wheel. Mine are painted the color of the car and have a wide stainless (?) trim ring. T
Thanks,
Jim
Old October 27th, 2009, 08:57 PM

Jim, do your wheels have a center cap that bolts on or is held on with little spring clips? The SSI wheels are similar but not the same as the Magnum 500 used on Ferds and the Chebby SS style wheel. I believe yours are classified as SSIII but there are a couple variations to the body colored wheels. What color are yours? I've got a pile of them if shipping isn't too high. If you would post your zip code I could come up with an estimate for you. John
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:32 PM

SSI:

SSII:

SSIII is body color.
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by JBrooks
Thank you for welcoming me.
The wheels on my '68 are rally wheels. Because I only want a wheel for a spare tire, I could use either a rally wheel or a plain steel wheel, provided either could be used with a disc brake car.
Is that correct?
I do not know the difference between the SSI and SSII wheel. Mine are painted the color of the car and have a wide stainless (?) trim ring. T
Thanks,
Jim
Yes, we really need to know exactly what you have. If you have 14" x 6" (correct for '68), they should be argent not body color to be correct, and have shallower trim rings than the ones posted, and more of a brushed finish. Correct '68 rings are *very* hard to find. And correct '68 SSIIs don't have the stainless bezel rings, the raised areas surrounding the 5 holes painted a brighter shade of silver.
Regardless, any 14" x 6" SSII/SSIII wheel will fit disc brakes, doesn't matter if it is the earlier 2-piston or later single piston type.
In fact *any* SSII/SSIII wheel of any size will fit disc brakes.
Old October 30th, 2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Jim, do your wheels have a center cap that bolts on or is held on with little spring clips? The SSI wheels are similar but not the same as the Magnum 500 used on Ferds and the Chebby SS style wheel. I believe yours are classified as SSIII but there are a couple variations to the body colored wheels. What color are yours? I've got a pile of them if shipping isn't too high. If you would post your zip code I could come up with an estimate for you. John
Once again, I appreciate the comments and help.

My 14-inch wheels look like the SSII wheels but are currently painted the body color of the car (red), so this would be SSIII? The inner side appear to be gray, but I have not had the wheels off the car. The wheels appear to have been painted, and I realize that provides little information.

The center cap is very tight , e.g. I can not move it side-to-side or back-and-forth in any way, so I am guessing the center cap bolts on (but I have not yet had the wheels off the car).

The trim rings are wide and appear to have more of a shine than a "brushed" finish.

John, my zip code is 93314. I am in S. California about 100 miles north of L.A.

A matching, original wheel would be preferred, but I really need a wheel that will clear the disc brakes and act as a spare.

Thanks again for any leads or advice.

Jim
Old November 11th, 2009, 05:04 PM

I have one single 14x6 SSII/SSIII style rim,from a 68 or 69 442.$35.00,& that includes the shipping to your door.I already have the tire off,so it's bare.