Wanted - nice set of Texas 1972 license plates

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2010, 06:12 AM

Wanted - nice set of Texas 1972 license plates

Well, Sicky Olds has got some great offers for '69, so I will see if any of you guys have any unique sets for 1972.
Need to be in very good shape and unregistered of course.

They are easy to identify. 19 in the upper left corner, 72 in the upper right corner and they will have green text on white background.

I tried 3 guys on craigs list, never a reply (beginning to be the norm there...)
I do not do ebay either, since the payment change way back when.

Need to get these in the next 2 weeks!
Old December 3rd, 2010, 06:19 AM
NôôB

yeah man its pretty gay on how we has to get these platesbefore the year ends...
but good luck on finding a set for your car. you going to get a set for the pinto as well?
Old December 3rd, 2010, 06:36 AM

YOM tag?

Got this original Ohio 1972 tag that i had on my car in 1972. also had the same number in 1971. These were MY tags for my 67 442 back in those years. I would GLADLY trade either one of them - 71 or 72 for a comparable "442" Ohio 67 tag! (only have 1 tag for each year - didnt keep the pair - musta tossed the mate). Let me know if anyone can muster a trade for me!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0044.jpg (56.3 KB, 10 views)
Old December 3rd, 2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Well, Sicky Olds has got some great offers for '69, so I will see if any of you guys have any unique sets for 1972.
Need to be in very good shape and unregistered of course.

I tried 3 guys on craigs list, never a reply (beginning to be the norm there...)
I do not do ebay either, since the payment change way back when.

Need to get these in the next 2 weeks!

I buy a lot of items on ebay and find most sellers will take money order payments, just ask before you bid. Henry
Old December 3rd, 2010, 06:39 AM
NôôB

lol hey buddy make your own post asking for plates . reason me and rob here are hard up on finding some quickly is cause of new texas law on the first of the year.

As seen in this post:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post230820

Last edited by sicky olds; December 3rd, 2010 at 06:40 AM. Reason: adding link to other forum
Old December 3rd, 2010, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by sicky olds
lol hey buddy make your own post asking for plates . reason me and rob here are hard up on finding some quickly is cause of new texas law on the first of the year.

As seen in this post:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post230820
LOL --- Thought it would be a little "comical" to "HI-JACK" your thread this morn!! Besides I thought it may be a way to help generate a little more interest in model year plates!! Good Luck with your Texas Laws! Its a little know fact, but here in Ohio you can register your model year tag by going to BMV and finding out if a number for a particular year has been already registered or not -- and if it hasnt -- you can register it and then have any of those aftermarket plate repoppers make you one and it it legal to use on your car! You dont have to have a real original plate to use!! Check out Tx -- it may work same way??
Old December 3rd, 2010, 06:54 AM
NôôB

so how exactly does that work in good ole Ohio then? i call them up and say is plate (lets say) HO 455 being used, and they say no and i can register it then get plates made for it that look like 1969? or do i actually have to have the plates but can get them repopped?

and we totally highjacked rob's thread lol.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 07:00 AM
Cutlass Lover

I ordered my Ohio year of mfg. plates off of e-bay last winter. Good price, not bad condition at all. I wasn't paying the $108 Ohio raised the personalized tag fee up to! One time fee of $30 for the historical plate, and I'm done. I may get a regular tag for the Intrigue this year too, and do away with the personalized one on her. Just too much friggin money!
Old December 3rd, 2010, 07:03 AM

I might have a new and used set from IL. Ill have to look.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 07:06 AM

so how exactly does that work in good ole Ohio then? i call them up and say is plate (lets say) HO 455 being used, and they say no and i can register it then get plates made for it that look like 1969? or do i actually have to have the plates but can get them repopped?

and we totally highjacked rob's thread lol.
you have to buy a Jistorical tag first for your car ( $30 bux onetime lifetime fee). Then, as you suggest above, just ask if HO 455, or maybe 455 HO, ( or other) has been registered for 1969 - If answer is NO --- the ask for registration form to fill out for that number. They dont care if you use an original tag or a ropop!! Some registrars will ask you to show them the tag first before they will do the registration, but some dont bother. Bottom line is that i can ask and if available i can get a repop and then show it to them and then register it!! I wanted to make u aware of that fact and maybe if you check it out it maybe same in TX? That you can register a repop if the number is available -- beats the heck out of searching for the "real thing" - eh?
Old December 3rd, 2010, 07:22 AM

yeah man its pretty gay on how we has to get these platesbefore the year ends...
but good luck on finding a set for your car. you going to get a set for the pinto as well?
Great place and time to put priorities, huh... Geez..
Holidays coming up, parties to go to, cruises to take, house to clean, getting ready for another fun round of sinus surgery...
Hey - lets go on the elusive license plate hunt, too!!!

I found the original plates for the Pinto, but as the plates' lettering depict, they are sad looking. They went through several wrecks and spent a few hard years on my go-kart, so they are a bit too tore up to reuse.
I do wish the first 8 was a 7 though!

HEY -- and what's with all this oHIo talk???
Oh - its high in the middle and round on both ends!!
For that reason, Ohio plates won't work here in Texyas. We are flat over here...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
plates_1508.jpg (76.4 KB, 6 views)
Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
LOL --- Thought it would be a little "comical" to "HI-JACK" your thread this morn!! Besides I thought it may be a way to help generate a little more interest in model year plates!! Good Luck with your Texas Laws! Its a little know fact, but here in Ohio you can register your model year tag by going to BMV and finding out if a number for a particular year has been already registered or not -- and if it hasnt -- you can register it and then have any of those aftermarket plate repoppers make you one and it it legal to use on your car! You dont have to have a real original plate to use!! Check out Tx -- it may work same way??
In Ohio they have to be original plates.
Unless they made some changes to the law those bogus Ohio YOM plates are bogus. You can register them , nobody checks when you send in a photocopy and most registrars don't know any better, you think they would because no original plates had the number of spaces they use, and they didn't have vanity plates then.
I guarantee if the Ohio State Highway Patrol ever stops you and they aren't up to snuff you're in big trouble, you can bet on it.
They're eventually going to stop or crack down on the YOM plates if people keep abusing one of the few good deals us Ohio car guys get from the government because of a few people abusing the right for their own personal vanity.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 05:45 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I probably have 1 or 2.
They will probably be Indiana or illinois plates though.

Those SAD88 plates would look good on one of my beater deltas
Old December 4th, 2010, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
I probably have 1 or 2.
They will probably be Indiana or illinois plates though.
Unfortunately, they have to be TX plates, since they will be used and registered in TX. If I could register other states' plates here, i would have kept the OTRWOMN plate that came with the car.
I still have the antique Georgia plate that was on it when that owner had it.