Want to buy seats or seat covers for my 72 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2015, 03:22 PM

Want to buy seats or seat covers for my 72 Cutlass

Looking for a set of seats or seat covers for my cutlass. Used is fine. No tears. Black in color.

IMG_0167_zps7hdeq5fr.jpg
Old May 23rd, 2015, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Legendary interiors is a good source for seat covers. The seats themselves can always be reused.
Old May 24th, 2015, 06:13 AM

Did Red Green repair that drivers seat? Looks a little sticky.....
Old July 6th, 2015, 06:50 PM

Still looking
Old July 6th, 2015, 08:00 PM

X2 on Legendary. Those buckets should be a snap to recover.
Old July 7th, 2015, 06:17 AM
72 Olds CS

I got a set of green covers on Craig's list and used SEM paint to re color them black they came out great and you cannot tell they were once green.
Old July 7th, 2015, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
I got a set of green covers on Craig's list and used SEM paint to re color them black they came out great and you cannot tell they were once green.
That's awesome! Do they feel okay? I used Duplicolor on my rear seats and though they look great, they feel very stiff. But to be fair, they were very stiff to begin with. Maybe they're worse, I'm not really sure. I'll get covers for them eventually.
Old July 7th, 2015, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Macadoo
That's awesome! Do they feel okay? I used Duplicolor on my rear seats and though they look great, they feel very stiff. But to be fair, they were very stiff to begin with. Maybe they're worse, I'm not really sure. I'll get covers for them eventually.
SEM Landau Black on my seats too, they used to be gold. They still feel soft and it's held up great. Used on the dash and most plastics as well.
Old July 7th, 2015, 02:17 PM
72 Olds CS

what CMAN said i cant tell any difference after a few uses, maybe at first they felt a little rougher but not stiff I was skeptical, but 20yrs a ago i changed a set of mustang seats from green to blue and was super happy w the wear and feel characteristics. my old seat buns were duck taped so maybe that plays in too LOL

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
72 cutlass pass seat 8.jpg (486.1 KB, 190 views)
72 cutlass pass seat 6.jpg (381.5 KB, 189 views)
Old July 7th, 2015, 02:51 PM

The Duplicolor seems pretty durable on the vinyl (door panels) and dash but is easily scratched on hard plastic. The interior surfaces that the ashtray door slides on for instance. I'll never get that to stop getting scratched up and revealing the original color. Would SEM hold up under those circumstances?
Old July 7th, 2015, 06:07 PM
72 Olds CS

Would SEM hold up under those circumstances?
tough to say but I think it works best on 'soft' plastics some guys have said they did their plastic fender wells w SEM, but i went different route there for fear scrtches etc that would continually need attention. I replaced my blue dash w a black dash so im not much help there.

I did do a ctr console blue to black w the SEM and it has held up well even w my little one climbing over it to get into the back seat, there are some spots that are starting to show blue tho after 3-4 years 4k miles looking at the pic i think that surface is actually metal not plastic where the blue is showing....

did you do a real thorough prep for the ashtray area that may make a difference although i think any high traffic hard plastic area will be tough to keep nice.

Attached Images
console drvrs side outside.jpg (309.3 KB, 182 views)

Last edited by RetroRanger; July 7th, 2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old July 7th, 2015, 06:33 PM

I scrubbed the heck out of it with water and dawn soap, wiped it down with 92% alcohol, sprayed with adhesion promoter, and coated with the Duplicolor within the allotted time. Those walls would have to be black through and through to put up with direct abrasion like the ashtray door. If I have a mind to, I may look for a black, adhesive-backed film of some kind, but just for that one area. Otherwise I couldn't be happier with my color change. Friends have said it's a completely different car. And I'd have to agree
Old July 7th, 2015, 08:20 PM
72 Olds CS

lol cant fault the prep then... the SEM is supposed to be what the pros use and its good but IDK if you ll be able to keep that area from scratching
Old July 12th, 2015, 07:34 AM

Black a-body seats

I have a perfect set of front and rear 1971 442 bucket seats sitting here from a car I made into a resto mod instead of restoring it. my email is airvegas@msn.com if you are interested. Leave me your contact number and we can get in touch about them. I will attach pictures

Thanks
Attached Images
1971 olds 442 front seats-.jpg (742.9 KB, 25 views)
442-front-rear-seats.jpg (680.9 KB, 15 views)
Old July 13th, 2015, 08:50 AM

The Duplicolor seems pretty durable on the vinyl (door panels) and dash but is easily scratched on hard plastic. The interior surfaces that the ashtray door slides on for instance. I'll never get that to stop getting scratched up and revealing the original color. Would SEM hold up under those circumstances?
Funny you bring this up Mac, I JUST painted my dash ash tray door with SEM last Thursday. I'll take a picture after a week or so and post it here. In all honesty I don't smoke and it won't get much movement but i'll be sure to open and close it a bit to see how it holds up. As for prep I scrubbed the part down with a sponge and mild detergent then alcohol.
Old July 14th, 2015, 09:23 AM

I use my phone as my car stereo and have the jack stored in the ashtray. It's also where we charge our phones on long trips. So yeah, the door gets a lot of use.
I'll be very interested to hear how the SEM works out. Thanks Cman.
Old July 14th, 2015, 02:03 PM
72 Olds CS

moment interuptus

to the OP

these were just listed

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...at-covers.html

while they are not 72 covers the fr buckets would be fine just not factory pattern, unless you have a vert the rear would not fit...im not sure what new covers cost, but i paid $100 on cl for my 2 fr bucket covers....

now back to the SEM paint discussion
Old July 15th, 2015, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
moment interuptus

to the OP

these were just listed

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...at-covers.html

while they are not 72 covers the fr buckets would be fine just not factory pattern, unless you have a vert the rear would not fit...im not sure what new covers cost, but i paid $100 on cl for my 2 fr bucket covers....

now back to the SEM paint discussion
Thank you I was just going to post my ad here. My price is negotiable. I wasnt for sure what to ask. I seen covers that were in horrible shape going for 350.00 without cushions.