Underhood lamp clip

Old February 20th, 2011, 10:00 AM

Underhood lamp clip

Long shot but looking for the little 'L' that bolts with the lamp to the hood that the connector clips into.
Old February 20th, 2011, 12:08 PM

Hey Mike, I'm pretty sure I've got an extra one of these. Finding it in the clutter may be a challenge though! But I'll look around to see. John
Old February 20th, 2011, 01:16 PM

Well, this afternoon I'm puttering between rain/sleet showers but the first place I looked had what I believe your looking for. It's actually shaped more like a "U" with one leg attached to the light socket and the other to the electrical connection. Here's a couple photos. If this is what you need Mike send me your address in a PM. This is small enough that I should be able to put it in an envelope and mail it to you.
John

P1010027-3.jpg
Still attached to a hood.

P1010029-1.jpg
Here's the piece I believe you need.

P1010030-1.jpg
This is one like it on a project car
Old February 20th, 2011, 09:44 PM

Thanks John - PM sent!
Old February 21st, 2011, 04:02 AM
Registered

I've been looking for a light for mine and I've never run across that clip? The assembly manuals don't show it going back to '68?
Is that clip for OAI hoods because of grounding problems or a running production fix for grounding problems on all of them??
Old February 21st, 2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I've been looking for a light for mine and I've never run across that clip? The assembly manuals don't show it going back to '68?
Is that clip for OAI hoods because of grounding problems or a running production fix for grounding problems on all of them??
I think it's designed more to keep the connector stowed so as to not get caught on the booster when raising the hood. My '71 has an original lamp but was missing the clip (that holds the spade connector housing). I noticed my friend's '69 had the clip so I looked in my '71 Assembly manual and, sure enough, it shows a detailed picture of it with the clip and how the connector slides on to it. It's not in the picture that shows the lamp to hood installation, it's in a different section titled "under hood lamp wiring" (Section 12 page 148).

Last edited by mmurphy77; February 21st, 2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
I think it's designed more to keep the connector stowed so as to not get caught on the booster when raising the hood. My '71 has an original lamp but was missing the clip (that holds the spade connector housing). I noticed my friend's '69 had the clip so I looked in my '71 Assembly manual and, sure enough, it shows a detailed picture of it with the clip and how the connector slides on to it. It's not in the picture that shows the lamp to hood installation, it's in a different section titled "under hood lamp wiring" (Section 12 page 148).
Thanks for the clarification. I see now, it holds the connector and fits in the slot on the female Packard 56 type connector housing.
I thought it was a ground wire and the connector plugged into it.
That's a good thing to have, I've seen those wires yanked out of the back of the lights a few times from the wire catching.
Sandy/Cutlassgal got pulled over by the cops when hers came loose and grounded out and knocked out her tail lights.
It's weird how they show it in the '71 assembly manual there and not in the hood section?
You never see the things with hood lights for sale, be a good repo part to make and sell for ten or twenty bucks.
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:34 AM
Cutlass Lover

.....Sandy/Cutlassgal got pulled over by the cops when hers came loose and grounded out and knocked out her tail lights.

Yes.... Yes I did. And there was nothing funny about it, you shi*!!! That's what blew that darned fuse. So my underhood light is not hooked up now!
Old February 21st, 2011, 01:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
.....Sandy/Cutlassgal got pulled over by the cops when hers came loose and grounded out and knocked out her tail lights.

Yes.... Yes I did. And there was nothing funny about it, you shi*!!! That's what blew that darned fuse. So my underhood light is not hooked up now!

Not funny to you maybe.
The whole incident would have been on You Tube if I would of been there.

I think you might need one those things and a light Sandy, but if anybody reading this has a light and clip they want to sell I get first dibs.
I don't know how to fix that wire once it comes out of the back of the light, maybe Rob do?
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:39 AM

I'll be danged if I wasn't wondering where that wire goes under the hood last week! I took off the light bracket and painted it gold (looks pretty good too!), and was trying to figure out what to do with the loose wire.
Anyone have an extra clip?
I'm guessing that they were easily lost....
Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:09 AM

Allen I think your right, someone who has the time needs to start hammering these things out! A repop niche that hasn't been filled yet