Trunk Striker

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2011, 07:33 PM
wait.... what....

Trunk Striker

I am looking for a trunk striker for a 70 Cutlass S. It's not the latch, it's the square piece that is bolted to the body that the latch goes to.
Old October 6th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Don't know if this is helpful, but Part #7771161 fits every Olds from '62 through '70, except for Toros and station wagons.

Looks like easy pickins.

- Eric
Old October 6th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Ken,
You mean there's nothing in the boneyards around you??? Just looked at mine to verify what you want. It's held in by 2 3/8" bolts right? It should be the same from 68-77 IIRC so you should have lots of options. If no one gets back to you, check with (John) 2blu442, (Eric) Jensenracing77, or Oldspackrat. The last 2 are closer to you. I believe they are around the Ohio area. Have you talked to Craig (66ninetyeightLS)? He might know someone in your area with the part.

Just so everyone knows what you want ( I hope this is right) here are pics of what I think you are looking for.

The little square dude in the middle

attached by these two bolts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1733.JPG (71.0 KB, 57 views)
IMG_1734.JPG (53.7 KB, 59 views)
Old October 6th, 2011, 08:31 PM
wait.... what....

Ken? lol None of the boneyards have older stuff around me anymore that i know of. Thnx for posting the pics, that's exactly the part i am looking for. I have misplaced mine and i can't find it anywhere!
Old October 6th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldzzy
Ken? lol None of the boneyards have older stuff around me anymore that i know of. Thnx for posting the pics, that's exactly the part i am looking for. I have misplaced mine and i can't find it anywhere!
Sorry SHANE,
There's another guy on this forum with a name a lot like yours (check the community - his name is oldzy and he's in Hamilton). Check this link, the guy is in your area and seems reasonable: http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?Ad...n=email_alerts I think some of his prices are high, but most are reasonable and you can pick it up so shipping is a no brainer. He definitely has the part you're looking for though.
Old October 7th, 2011, 04:15 PM

If you don't find one in Canada I've got it down in Oregon. I can take some pictures for you this weekend if you'd like. John
Old October 7th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Where were you in '72?

I think I have an extra kicking around.
Old October 7th, 2011, 06:26 PM

Sometimes the striker and the cage surrounding it are not squared up like the one shown in the pic from Allan. The one on my trunk is really misaligned but the trunk closes as it should. I've seen others at shows that were also tilted left or right. Any idea why the cage would be off-center as I've described?
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by scott_442
Sometimes the striker and the cage surrounding it are not squared up like the one shown in the pic from Allan. The one on my trunk is really misaligned but the trunk closes as it should. I've seen others at shows that were also tilted left or right. Any idea why the cage would be off-center as I've described?
No clue. Actually I didn't know it was askew until after I took those pics. The trunk closes, but you have to use a lot of force. The torsion bars are at their highest setting. Once the power trunk goes in, I'm betting I can launch anything on the rear deck into orbit.

I'll probably play with the latching system to make the trunk close nicely. Hate having to slam it. If you look closely at the pic I took it looks like there is something binding on the left side. Also need to pull the weather strip out a bit and clean up that surface rust. Don't know where it came from but it wasn't there a couple years ago.... Some wax should do the trick.

Is the latch area supposed to be black or the same color as the car. As you can see, mine got painted when the car was done, then it got some of the splatter coat that finishes the trunk on it. Personally, I think it would look a lot nicer in a satin black.
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:43 PM

I was actually trying to make the point that yours was straight...at least compared to mine !
Attached Images
trunk.jpg (25.8 KB, 12 views)
Old October 7th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by scott_442
I was actually trying to make the point that yours was straight...at least compared to mine !
Oh, ok.