Tic Toc Tach

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2008 | 11:43 AM
Down South

Tic Toc Tach

Looking for a good condition rally Pac for the 1970 442.
Old October 18th, 2008 | 02:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by dkatz
Looking for a good condition rally Pac for the 1970 442.
They come up for sale every so often on ebay, but at huge bucks. You can also shop the web, check Hemmings etc. Make sure you get the right application. The gauge packages for 68/69 are different from 70-72.

Depends on whether you want them OEM or aftermarket. OEM, even used and in fair / good shape can command over $500.00 just for the gauges. Gotta know what you're willing to pay and when to say no. My rallye pac tach I got from GM as NOS in 1974 pretty cheap by today's standards. Didn't get the oil/tem/fuel until 2 years ago and it cost over 380.00 by itself in fair shape.

If you're interested, you can get tic tac toc kits from parts place complete with the wiring harneses new for under 500 bucks. Only thing I've heard is that the clock is quartz for reliability and doesn't have the "seconds" sweep from point to point.

For 70 and 71 all you need is the kit. For 72 you also have to get a "seat belt warning" light / pod that mounts to the dash to make it look authentic.

The Tic Toc Tac set was manufactured as the U21 option (Rallye Pac Instrument cluster)
Old October 18th, 2008 | 09:13 PM

there is a Tach that looks nice on ebay for $175 + sh. But it is not a factory Tic Toc Tach. But it does look nice and will fit no problem. Allen is right on with his info.
Old October 19th, 2008 | 09:51 AM

I have the guage pack (2 pods?? maybe 3...) sitting in a box in my attic that I intend to put in "some day" but the wiring scares the heck out of me. They each have some cut wires coming from the back of them. I suppose that means I need to buy a new harness. Last time I pulled a dash apart I was 16, putting a Radio Shack Kraco stero cassette player into my '71 Super Beetle. There was a lot of smoke and smell of scorched wiring. I think I'll leave this to the pros.
Old October 19th, 2008 | 11:28 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by rrielley
I have the guage pack (2 pods?? maybe 3...) sitting in a box in my attic that I intend to put in "some day" but the wiring scares the heck out of me. They each have some cut wires coming from the back of them. I suppose that means I need to buy a new harness. Last time I pulled a dash apart I was 16, putting a Radio Shack Kraco stero cassette player into my '71 Super Beetle. There was a lot of smoke and smell of scorched wiring. I think I'll leave this to the pros.
Shouldn't be any trouble hooking up these gauges. Your existing harness should work for the new gauges. They are basically just connectors from one part to another and will fit the same pin locations on the gauge cluster. You will need to install a proper oil pressure and coolant temp sender at the front of the engine. (they go in the same place the idiot light senders are located. And no you can't use the idiot light senders on real gauges). The Tach wire comes off your distributor. If you do decide on new wiring it's available from numerous Olds resto sources. Sometimes it just makes sense to replace old wiring that you're not sure about.

If you have someone do it, make sure they know the proper wire routing. If you need the service manual instructions I can scan them and send them to you.
Old December 25th, 2008 | 06:37 AM

They are easy to hook up but as noted above they are big bucks on Ebay and hard to find. Good luck