1971 tic tac toc clock tach assembly

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:31 PM
gdam

1971 tic tac toc clock tach assembly

New to the site.I have a 1971 442 just had the clock rebuilt and am not sure which terminal on the back is for the clock. I'm afraid to hook it up wrong and burn out the new clock. Any advise?

Old April 24th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Past Administrator

Couldn't you ask the person who rebuilt it? They should have told/shown you how to correctly install it. I am sure they would be willing to do so.
Old April 24th, 2007, 07:53 AM
gdam

I did that the person on phone was not person who rebuilt it and gave me different answers so I was not that sure. I am jst looking to double check.

Old April 24th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Past Administrator

Hmm, bummer.
Old February 13th, 2008, 09:39 AM

I see this thread is very old and you never really got a resolution to it here. Did you finally get it installed? I'm curious since I also have a Rally Pac in a box in the attic. I'd like to get it installed but am intimidated by all the wiring. I remember hooking a stereo up in my 71 VW Beetle 25 years ago and nearly setting it ablaze. I don't want to repeat that.
Old March 10th, 2008, 05:40 PM

If the rally pac in your attic is for 70-72 and your car is like the picture in your post then the gauges will plug into the same connector on the back of your dummy lights. The difference is that the wires have to be re-arranged in the plug terminal. I forget which order but if you look at the color of the wires and where they go I think you can trace it out on the back of the rally gauge cluster. The wires can be removed from the connector by inserting a heavy duty paper clip or something of the like in the front of the plug which will release the barb on the end of the wire which can then be pulled out. Once you have the wires re-arranged you can just plug it into the rally gauge cluster. But in order for the gauges to work you also need to change the oil pressure sending unit and engine temp sender to match the rally gauges.
As for the tic-toc-tac: The standard dash wiring harness has a connector just waiting to be used for the clock part of the tac or just the clock if you wanted. I believe the wire is grey and it is a male/female plug that simply plugs together. As for the tac portion of the tic-toc-tac, I believe it is a brown wire that has a braided steel sleeve around it that goes from the tac thru the firewall and connects to the negative side of your coil. The braided wire cover I believe was to cut down on radio static caused by the tac wire. Just make sure both gauges are installed securely in the dash with the 1/4 " sheetmetal screws and that the mounting ears have a good ground because that is how they are grounded and connected to each other.
Hope this helps.