Pcv valve related parts

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2022, 11:01 PM

Pcv valve related parts

Does anyone know where I can basically get the whole system, maybe a diagram or maybe atleast a list of everything I need. I am starting from scratch. My motor guy and I thought it would be smart to delete it during our new awesome engine build. Lol I’m eating a lot of crow here. Oh yeah it’s a 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350. I have a fast system

Last edited by Powerm01; February 24th, 2022 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Adding information
Old February 25th, 2022, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Powerm01
.......maybe a diagram or maybe at least a list of everything I need.......
Basically, you need a PCV valve, with a 3/8" hose connected to manifold vacuum. The valve would be installed into a grommet in one valve cover. In the other valve cover you would need a source of filtered air; either a breather or a hose to the bottom of your air cleaner.
Old February 25th, 2022, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN269V
Basically, you need a PCV valve, with a 3/8" hose connected to manifold vacuum. The valve would be installed into a grommet in one valve cover. In the other valve cover you would need a source of filtered air; either a breather or a hose to the bottom of your air cleaner.
Here's a diagram from the 1970 Engine Assembly manual depicting the setup outlined by Rocketman. The yellow highlight of "654" corresponds to 350 cid engines.

Old February 25th, 2022, 09:07 AM

That diagram is a bit confusing, especially if you're not familiar with the system. The "D" shaped grommet that they show in mid air would actually be in the opposite valve cover, along with the 6H filter assembly. The round hole in the 6H filter is where the molded rubber elbow is attached; a formed metal tube is inserted into the other end of the elbow and connects to another rubber elbow in the base of the air cleaner.
Old February 25th, 2022, 03:37 PM

Awesome, all great information. I went with tall aluminum finned “Oldsmobile” signature emblem valve covers with just a breather system. I painted them black. No baffles. It is pretty but oil is an issue lol

so I wanna go with the PCV system. I like the tall black stock looking valve covers. Almost had a pair but they sold out. I need tall because I have a rockers. I guess I could just get the Chrome, scratch them up and paint them. I want to go with the stock look including grommets and all.
Old February 25th, 2022, 03:54 PM

I found a pair from “the parts place”. Now just to get all the grommets and hoses.
Old February 25th, 2022, 04:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN269V
That diagram is a bit confusing, especially if you're not familiar with the system. The "D" shaped grommet that they show in mid air would actually be in the opposite valve cover, along with the 6H filter assembly.
What the diagram is showing is that for the 664 series motors, which are Toronados, the D grommet goes in the LH side and the PCV valve goes in the RH side.

Old February 25th, 2022, 07:43 PM
Gary

An Alternate Idea

I need tall because I have a rockers. I want to go with the stock look including grommets and all.
I have full roller rockers but added short adjustment nuts. I removed the interior baffles in stock valve covers and the covers fit with standard gaskets.

The vent breather has internal mesh to knock out the increased oil mist from those covers, but the PCV would deal poorly with lack of a baffle.

To compensate, I put in a valley-mount PCV like the manual transmission W-30s and 442s had. This pulls from above the turkey tray where the large, quiet volume drops out oil mist before it gets to the PCV.

Last edited by VC455; February 25th, 2022 at 07:47 PM.
Old February 25th, 2022, 08:41 PM

I like the PCV valve set up. Looks clean. Do you just use two breathers then in the valve covers? What parts did you use for that?
Old February 25th, 2022, 08:56 PM

I could just remove one of these nuts And install it there?

Old February 25th, 2022, 09:00 PM
Gary

Do you just use two breathers then in the valve covers? What parts did you use for that?
Yes, I used a breather and a grommet in each valve cover. I used two of the long, bent steel tubes that normally connect the single breather to the air cleaner. I cut a second hole in the air cleaner at a location matching that in an OAI air cleaner body, made a copper washer from (3/4"?) water tubing and soldered it to the air cleaner to replicate the thickness and appearance of the folded metal of the existing hole. I used the standard rubber ells in each air cleaner hole and in each breather to connect the long steel tubes.

I got these parts as reproductions from Fusick.

This assumes you have a QuadraJet and a GM intake manifold. If you don't, you would have to make custom (probably longer) steel tubes to connect the breathers to the air cleaner body.
Old February 25th, 2022, 09:05 PM
Gary

I assume you are asking about how to install the PCV. Your pipe plug goes into a carb runner. You need to go into the valley (left of that runner). I picked a flat spot over the valley, epoxied a thick aluminum collar there, and inserted a 1/2" OD steel tube with a ferrule soldered to the top.
Old February 25th, 2022, 09:08 PM

Unfortunately I already drilled the holes in the valve covers. So would I just go with two breathers.
Old February 25th, 2022, 09:10 PM

That is exactly what you need, in addition to the PCV. You still need a PCV valve with a vacuum source to pull air through the breathers, exactly as VC455 described. If you use just the breathers, exhaust gases will exit the breathers and you’ll smell it while driving. The PCV / vacuum will pull air into the breathers and into the carb, where the gases will be burned so no smell or eye burning.

Last edited by Fun71; February 25th, 2022 at 09:14 PM.
Old February 25th, 2022, 09:40 PM

Yeah It would be a little different for me. I have an Edelbrock performer and a fast set up. I do like the Oldsmobile emblem valve covers that I have. They do look good but about two hours ago I ordered the tall black OEM looking valve covers. I think I’ll just use those and go with more of a factory set up. Might actually be less work than all that awesome fabricating you did. But it does look clean, you got rid of that big nasty hose. Definitely thanks for your input. I wish I thought about all this before the build lol.
Old February 26th, 2022, 05:22 AM

.......Oh yeah it’s a 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350....
I have to ask: why are you using "J" heads on a 350?
Old February 26th, 2022, 07:52 AM

Installed a 426 stroker kit. I know they are for a 455. My engine guy told me these would be better. Thoughts?
Old February 26th, 2022, 07:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

That plug is in the intake runner. Look again - the PCV needs to connect to the valley between the runners.