Need a 56-1/2" drive shaft - '70 Cutlass 4-speed

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2020, 06:39 AM

Need a 56-1/2" drive shaft - '70 Cutlass 4-speed

I am STILL looking for a 56-1/2" drive shaft for my '70 Rallye, measured center to center on the u-joint openings... After being ripped off a few times (shame on me), I really just want one in survivor condition that I can swap joints and yoke onto and go. If you really, truly have one, I'd love pictures sent to rasiegrist@gmail.com, or post up here. A solid pic of a tape measure showing 56-1/2" in the center of the u-joint opening will help. 56" won't work - I have that three times over. If I have to, I'll buy brand new for $400+, but I'd rather have original. Surface rust is ok, but a shaft covered in pits is not. Dents are not good. Broken welds are not good. Snapped off counterweights are not good. Wrong length is not good. I'll cross my fingers that this unicorn shows up this time. Thanks!
Old September 27th, 2020, 04:34 PM

Hi Bob
Did you try The parts place inc.com that is were I got mine perfect fit and great piece price was good
Good luck in your quest.
Alain
Old September 27th, 2020, 06:30 PM

Thanks, Alain They have the most reasonable price at $400 and that's probably the way I will go if I don't find an original one. Honestly, if I would have bought new first, I would have saved hundreds....
Old September 27th, 2020, 06:58 PM

56.5 lenght 70 driveshaft M/T application

Have many in Lansing Michigan
having one not pitted is key

Ladie from Detroit got herself 1 to powder coat for her 67 while ago so itsa possability
​​​​​​
shipping is another factor ..where are you ?!
If not close ...may actualy know who is...30 years doin this.

Nice straight angle iron is your friend when checkin its not bent
Fork trucks make junk outa them when they pick em up..
​​​​​​
my NOS shaft has the long yoke & that may get you buy until we locate exactly whats required

SORRY TO SAY I HAVE NONE

Last edited by rocketscientis; October 2nd, 2020 at 04:25 AM. Reason: 2 edut
Old September 28th, 2020, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by rocketscientis
Have many in Lansing Michigan
having one not pitted is key

Ladie from Detroit got herself 1 to powder coat for her 67 while ago so itsa possability
​​​​​​
shipping is another factor ..where are you ?!
If not close ...may actualy know who is...30 years doin this.

Nice straight angle iron is your friend when checkin its not bent
Fork trucks make junk outa them when they pick em up..
​​​​​​
my NOS shaft has the long yoke & that may get you buy until we locate exactly whats required
I'm just in the Cleveland area, so if you have a selection to choose from, Detroit and surrounding areas are a regular drive for me. No shipping cost at all.... Let me know what you have and I can come your way soon. Are you going to Carlisle? email is rasiegrist@gmail.com if you have any pics to share - thanks!
I'm running a 56" shaft with a standard yoke right now - just sticking out 1/2" too far...
Old September 28th, 2020, 04:48 AM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

maybe I missed something (trying to stay with original parts?) but why not just get one made at a local driveline (or truck) shop? I did that for my '72 and I got a what amounted to be a heavy duty steel shaft with new Spicer U joint and my yoke reused for just over $300 - that was about 4 years ago and no issues in 10k+ miles.
Old September 28th, 2020, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by 70sgeek
maybe I missed something (trying to stay with original parts?) but why not just get one made at a local driveline (or truck) shop? I did that for my '72 and I got a what amounted to be a heavy duty steel shaft with new Spicer U joint and my yoke reused for just over $300 - that was about 4 years ago and no issues in 10k+ miles.
Partially trying to stay with original parts, yes, but around here everyone goes to Henderson Driveline on the west side, and they quoted me $475 for a plain shaft, using my own yoke. I'm just not familiar enough with the local places and I don't have a lot of people to ask. I'd rather buy a new repro for $400, or find an original for (much less) and swap over my u-joints and yoke, which are new. Maybe I'm just stubborn, or a glutton for punishment, or too trusting, but I've bought and been shipped the "right" parts in the past, only to find they've been sadly misrepresented. One was so bad I just tossed it into the scrap pile for the recycle yard. It just seems like such a common piece, and why my original was replaced isn't known. It was wrong when I bought the car.
Old September 28th, 2020, 05:55 AM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

here's an online vendor with a good rep from all I've heard/seen - might be worth a look

https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/
Old September 28th, 2020, 07:13 AM

This Guy has southern parts, been around for years, worth a call, https://www.theoldsguy.com/