Inner tie rod for '61 D88

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2014, 01:33 PM

Hi all, am looking for an inner tie rod for my '61 Dynamic 88. It's Saginaw type and for the passenger side. Can only seem to find TRW items on ebay etc. Also I'm in the UK. Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance,

Andy.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 02:39 PM

No luck at Kanter.com nor rockauto.com
I have used parts but hell you have that already, and no way to tell S from T type.

Got a part number?
Old February 23rd, 2014, 11:40 PM

Don't know part no. I'm afraid, and there seems to be very little info on the 'net. I read somewhere that you can use the TRW parts providing you use the complete tie rod assembly? I believe the main difference is TRW is left hand threaded. If that's the case I may end up going that route if that's possible? Thanks for your reply, I'll try and source the part no.
Old February 24th, 2014, 04:58 AM

Andy, I am a dealer for Rare Parts; they show the two different types of tie rod ends and how to determine which one you have. You need to measure the " small diameter of the CENTERLINK stud that goes into the pitman arm". The two dimensions are 0.587" and 0.556". At present, they only have the inner tie rod end for the 0.556" in manual or power steering. The outers are available for either size.If you get me the information, I can have it shipped directly to you, at a discount from their retail prices. I have helped numerous people, both here and abroad with these parts. Thanks, Bob.
Old February 24th, 2014, 09:46 AM

Amazon Amazon

Old February 24th, 2014, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN269V
Andy, I am a dealer for Rare Parts; they show the two different types of tie rod ends and how to determine which one you have. You need to measure the " small diameter of the CENTERLINK stud that goes into the pitman arm". The two dimensions are 0.587" and 0.556". At present, they only have the inner tie rod end for the 0.556" in manual or power steering. The outers are available for either size.If you get me the information, I can have it shipped directly to you, at a discount from their retail prices. I have helped numerous people, both here and abroad with these parts. Thanks, Bob.
Many thanks for that Bob, appreciate your help. It's 0.587" unfortunately. If you get them in could you let me know? It seems these are much harder to come by for some reason. Thanks again :-)
Old February 24th, 2014, 12:14 PM

1961 olds full size tie rods -----

I believe I still have some of each N.O.S. --- I am in the library to use the computer -- I will have to look it up for you and get back to you --
stay tuned......................
Old February 24th, 2014, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by mobileparts
I believe I still have some of each N.O.S. --- I am in the library to use the computer -- I will have to look it up for you and get back to you --
stay tuned......................

That's great, thanks! Something I forgot to mention, it's manual steering. Apologies for not mentioning earlier, I've only just thought about it!

Last edited by andyolds88; February 24th, 2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old February 25th, 2014, 01:15 PM

1961 - 1962 olds full size tie rods

Checked for you last nite -- and have both O U T E R tie rods for the both set ups for P O W E R Steering -- and I -- DO -- have all the INNER tie rods for the 1963 - 1964 OLDS full Size applications!!!!!

Did not look for MANUAL Steering!!!!! -- Yup, you did forget to mention that!!!!!!!

Back to the drawing board -- aill check that -- and get back to you.....
Old February 25th, 2014, 11:51 PM

Yes, apologies again for that! Thanks for your help :-)
Old February 26th, 2014, 11:05 AM

Happen to be in the library...

Happen to be in the library -- don't have your answer yet... still investigating...
I DO HAVE the Outer Tie Rods, and I DO HAVE the CENTER LINK -- N.O.S.
U.S.A. made --- Brand NEW ---- that I can give you with --- NO ---- Core Charge -- which might be a REAL NICE "Insurance Policy" at the very least...

I'm investigating the Inner Tie Rods with my circle of "trading partners" and will keep you informed..... cross your fingers....

Cheers. (Did you ever know my good friend Robert Draper from Sussex, England -- who I've sent stuff to -- and would see me every year at Hershey. Pa. at the huge car show..... His friends gave me the sad news that Robert passed this season -- I asked them to please give my Love to his wife Anne -- they were the nicest people you would ever want to meet....)
Old February 26th, 2014, 11:50 AM

I don't recall meeting a Robert Draper in my travels although it's possible we could have attended the same shows etc as I do head to the south of England to meet up with other friends down that way. Needless to say, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend and fellow enthusiast.
I may be interested in the centre link, mine seems ok at present but may be worth having as a spare. Obviously the tie rod is my main concern at the moment. If you find you have one could you let me know the prices including P&P via PM? Thanks again :-)
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:46 PM

Well, I have some SPECTACULAR NEWS, BUT....

Well, I have found one guy who has one pair of these INNER TIE RODS -- NEW N.O.S. ++ GM ++ (ONLY -- no aftermarket company ever made them -- they are STRICTLY N.O.S. GM only), but unfortunately -- one of my trading partners, John in Michigan -- has somebody HE knows that has this pair -- knows the "Unobtanium" circumstance regarding them -- wants "whopping" money for them -- and then, there would be shipping in on them besides.... it might "pay" to just do what people with this system do -- and that is to do the conversion that has been created for them.....

As a result, I can actually supply you with ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING to do a
complete Front End for either the Saginaw (.587") Design or for the Alternate or TRW (.556) Design.......

I will PM you a list because the prices are BOLD... you are going to have to figure out what you want to do......

My name is Craig and my phone number is 516 - 485 - 1935 here in New York, and I know that's probably expensive to call me, but this way you have it -- and England is 5 hours in front of us -- so the best times to catch me live is 2 PM - 5 PM your time, which is 9 AM - Noon, Our Time.

I ALWAYS Pick Up on the first or second ring if I am there -- after 4 1/2 rings -- it goes to the machine -- so hang up after 3 so you don't get charged, if you want to call me, ultimately......
Old February 27th, 2014, 02:34 PM

Craig, I have read the PM's you sent and see what you mean!
I'll have to have a think about what to do for the best.
Thanks so much for looking into this for me, I really appreciate your efforts.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 11:40 AM

Smile 1961 olds full size tie rods

I just spoke to my sales representative at Rare Parts; she checked with her boss, who has many years experience in the business, and he said that the difference is LH thread vs RH thread on the inner tie rod end. They do sell a complete tie rod (with adjusting sleeve) which would negate any issues with thread direction. The assembly retails for $269.95 and I can have it sent directly to you for $224.95, PLUS SHIPPING. Let me know and I'll get you a total cost. Thanks, Bob.
Old May 24th, 2014, 09:45 PM

Hi Andy. Did you ever get the needed tie rod end you were looking for? I just stumbled across your post and think that I might be able to help you. Please send me a PM if I can assist you. Thanks, Winter Lane.