Door parts needed for '72 Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2023, 06:36 AM
NOVICE car nut

Door parts needed for '72 Cutlass Supreme

I've been pretty overwhelmed with everything . I'm just looking for a diagram / description of driver door parts . I find diagrams but no description on what the parts are called .... Window crank mechanism
Old May 28th, 2023, 02:49 PM

prob help if you gave what year model etc. , along with pics.. I believe the fisher body manual and /or illustration catalog for your year would have that information.
Old May 28th, 2023, 05:57 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Bill G
prob help if you gave what year model etc. , along with pics.. I believe the fisher body manual and /or illustration catalog for your year would have that information.
my bad , I forgot the most important part . 72CS , I'll post a picture after i get door panel off
Old May 28th, 2023, 09:46 PM

I believe I have a set of doors complete. If nobody has what you need loose later in the week I could pull parts off these.

John
Old May 29th, 2023, 11:22 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I believe I have a set of doors complete. If nobody has what you need loose later in the week I could pull parts off these.

John
Thanks , ill take picture today to show you the part . I also need the mechanism that the door handle connects too
Old May 31st, 2023, 06:25 PM
NOVICE car nut

Thanks John
Old May 31st, 2023, 06:32 PM

There is a spring in this assembly that can break. Is that what happened to yours? They were different lengths of the shaft with the spline on it. I'll get some pictures of one in my door, if you would measure the length of the shaft on yours. Was it the drivers side or passengers side?
Old June 1st, 2023, 02:45 AM
NOVICE car nut

There is a spring in this assembly that can break. Is that what happened to yours? They were different lengths of the shaft with the spline on it. I'll get some pictures of one in my door, if you would measure the length of the shaft on yours. Was it the drivers side or passengers side?
Drivers side .
Old June 4th, 2023, 04:43 AM
NOVICE car nut

Old June 4th, 2023, 04:45 AM
NOVICE car nut

It's like 3/4 inch from groove to groove
Old June 4th, 2023, 02:13 PM
Rodney

I've always called these the "door handle transmission" and there are 2 different versions of this part for 70-72 Cutlass/442; a long shaft and a short shaft. The longer shaft was installed on the Supreme body style cars which have a chrome backing plate mounted between the interior door card and the arm rest. Cars that came without the chrome backing plates used the shorter shaft transmission. You need the longer style if your car has backing plates like these.

Rodney
Old June 4th, 2023, 07:07 PM
NOVICE car nut

Thanks , I definitely need the longer one then . This door is getting harder to open at this point . There's a lot of wear / play
Old June 8th, 2023, 02:36 AM
NOVICE car nut

Thanks everyone for your help and advice .
I'll figure out WHAT it's called and purchase the part or parts ( mechanism for door handle) , I just been very busy .
the window crank handle itself ended up being bad , not the mechanism
Old June 12th, 2023, 12:39 AM
NOVICE car nut

Found it pretty easily 😌 , not sure why I didn't see this before ...
Old June 22nd, 2023, 09:09 PM
NOVICE car nut

Ok , the door handle doesn't fit the new door mechanism . The spline isn't deep enough for the retaining clip to reach the groove . OPG wasn't sure if the handle they offer would be any different then the one I have . They only have the shorter shafted mechanism , so I had to remove the door panel backing plate, but the handle won't work like I stated above. Any ideas ?
Old June 23rd, 2023, 11:17 AM

I have the mechanism I pulled from the door. Does it look the same length as your old one? Can you reuse your old door handle or do you need to replace that too?

John
Old June 23rd, 2023, 03:11 PM

I’ve had similar issues trying to find new window crank handles that work with the OE window cranks - the OE crank teeth didn’t line up with the the teeth of the non-OE handle with the clip installed. Suggest you replace with OE cranks and re-use original handles, or find new handles that work with the OE cranks. I’m not a fan of mixing OE with non-OE replacement parts.

Last edited by Toms cutlass; June 23rd, 2023 at 03:14 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2023, 03:13 PM

I have the mechanism I pulled from the door. Does it look the same length as your old one? Can you reuse your old door handle or do you need to replace that too?

John
^ This.
Old June 24th, 2023, 01:21 AM
NOVICE car nut

Yes John I'll buy it . I'll have to set up a new PayPal account for I've deleted the old one a while back because of breach issues they told me about or something . I have the worst luck in the world it seems 😕 .... I'm not even going to bother explaining all of it . Nothing like getting it handed to you from every direction while trying to juggle fine China at the same time .
Old June 25th, 2023, 04:47 AM
NOVICE car nut

The more I say I have bad luck , the worse my luck gets 🙃 . Both my Buick Lacrosse and 72CS are messed up . Transmission has major issue on the Olds.... The gears still all work but it makes very loud metal on metal sound . I guess that's what the clicking noise was after all . I thought it was the dried out U-joints 😔
Old June 25th, 2023, 12:51 PM
NOVICE car nut

Well , I'm going to see if anything jumps out at me as to why this may have happened . For one , this wire plug is no longer connected ..
Old June 25th, 2023, 01:03 PM

If I’m seeing the image correctly, that’s often intentionally disconnected from the TH350 transmission. That wire is disconnected on my Cutlass.
Old June 25th, 2023, 01:23 PM
NOVICE car nut

John , here's the picture.
Old June 25th, 2023, 01:24 PM
NOVICE car nut

Since I removed door panel backing plate the shorter one would work now . You can see the difference in the spline . The shorter one's spline is different from the one I bought at OPG . The doorv handle won't fit on the one I bought

Last edited by oldsguybry; June 25th, 2023 at 01:28 PM.
Old June 25th, 2023, 01:55 PM

I thought you needed the window crank mechanism?

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
I've been pretty overwhelmed with everything . I'm just looking for a diagram / description of driver door parts . I find diagrams but no description on what the parts are called .... Window crank mechanism
Old June 25th, 2023, 05:46 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Toms cutlass
I thought you needed the window crank mechanism?
That turned out to be a worn out crank handle , I bought one from the auto parts store . The door handle mechanism itself was all worn out , so I figured I'd fix that while I was doing the other thing . Now the transmission has a big issue 🤤 , so I have to deal with that now . I have the pan off , cross member bolts , and some of the drive shaft bolts out by the differential . I'm pretty sure I'll have to take this transmission back to the speed shop because the inners on a transmission is out of my league . It pisses me off because there's not that many miles on it .

How far should I take this apart to look at it ? It's almost as if something came loose , and now its rubbing on other parts or something .

Old June 26th, 2023, 06:00 AM

Well , I'm going to see if anything jumps out at me as to why this may have happened . For one , this wire plug is no longer connected ..
That appears to be part of the TCS (transmission controlled spark) system, which only allows vacuum advance in high gear. It wouldn't cause any noises or transmission operating issues.
Old June 26th, 2023, 06:07 AM

[QUwoOTE=oldsguybry;1507163].........How far should I take this apart to look at it ? It's almost as if something came loose , and now its rubbing on other parts or something .

[/QUOTE]
The only thing that's easy to check is the filter. Remove the two screws and drop the filter to see if their is any debris on the screen. You can also take the pan completely down and see if their is excessive "junk" in it. That will tell you if something is wearing abnormally.
Old June 26th, 2023, 07:55 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN269V
[QUwoOTE=oldsguybry;1507163].........How far should I take this apart to look at it ? It's almost as if something came loose , and now its rubbing on other parts or something .

The only thing that's easy to check is the filter. Remove the two screws and drop the filter to see if their is any debris on the screen. You can also take the pan completely down and see if their is excessive "junk" in it. That will tell you if something is wearing abnormally.[/QUOTE]

Yeah im not seeing metal shavings or any metal chucks yet thankfully
Old June 26th, 2023, 07:57 AM
NOVICE car nut

The only thing that's easy to check is the filter. Remove the two screws and drop the filter to see if their is any debris on the screen. You can also take the pan completely down and see if their is excessive "junk" in it. That will tell you if something is wearing abnormally.[/QUOTE]

I was just wondering on that connector is all . I do now remember leaving it hang there when i put transmission in the car a while back
Old July 3rd, 2023, 04:41 AM
NOVICE car nut

So what happens if I take those bolts off the bottom of the transmission to check things out ? Will a bunch of springs , and gears fall out ? Could the problem be the torque converter ? Does the torque converter make a bunch of noises like a screaming animal when it's failing ?
Old July 3rd, 2023, 04:59 AM

So what happens if I take those bolts off the bottom of the transmission to check things out ? Will a bunch of springs , and gears fall out ? Could the problem be the torque converter ? Does the torque converter make a bunch of noises like a screaming animal when it's failing ?
The two screws merely hold the filter against a machined surface on the bottom of the valve body. NOTHING will fall out if you remove them, except the filter. I usually loosen the rear screw a couple of turns, then completely remove the front one. This allows the filter to tip slightly and it will drain any excess fluid before you take it off. As far as the noise goes, it's hard to say. It could even be a cracked or loose flexplate, though Olds' are pretty stout.
Old July 3rd, 2023, 05:47 AM
NOVICE car nut

Yeah , you could definitely hear a screaming noise going with the RPM of the motor in any gear , but park and neutral were ok . I took drive shaft down and the u-joints seen better days . Needles fell out everywhere when I took caps off . One side was bone dry and half the needles were worn down to almost nothing.

Old July 3rd, 2023, 06:25 AM

That u-joint would definitely make noise.
Old July 3rd, 2023, 06:40 AM
NOVICE car nut

This don't look good
Old July 4th, 2023, 09:49 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by 32redman
That u-joint would definitely make noise.
the car was making a screaming grinding noise ....
Old July 4th, 2023, 09:53 AM
NOVICE car nut

I made matters worse by cracking the flexplate while removing transmission . I forgot a bolt and started letting transmission down
Old July 5th, 2023, 05:57 AM

I made matters worse by cracking the flexplate while removing transmission . I forgot a bolt and started letting transmission down
I have several flexplates if you don't have a spare.
Old July 5th, 2023, 08:18 AM
NOVICE car nut

I have several flexplates if you don't have a spare.
It'll be awhile but I'll let you know when i need one
Old July 6th, 2023, 06:21 AM

It'll be awhile but I'll let you know when i need one
Great. Thanks, Bob.

Quick Reply: Door parts needed for '72 Cutlass Supreme