Chev 202 heads

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2010, 12:02 PM

Chev 202 heads

As a favor for a kid who helps me out from time to time, I would like to inquire about a set of Chevy 202 heads. I really will not play much role in this besides putting a willing seller together with a willing buyer.

I am a teacher by trade and this is one of my students who is a grease-monkey in training. Please be nice, I am trying to help a kid out.

Thanks!
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:18 PM

wow going back awhile...

gee i have been away from the car scene for awhile but hearing about 202 heads brought back memories... we use to look for the camel hump heads when i was in my late teens and early twenties, i think to find 202's there was a double hump, maybe these were the 1.94's but very very good heads. I actually think the kid would be beter off looking for more modern heads, somebody with 202's will demand big bucks as I believe these were the early z or fuel injected heads? not sure memory went to hell just after my... oh never mind ya knowthe sayin the memory is the second thing to go

anyway sorry to stomp on the thread.. don't have em...
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:29 PM

yea...well he's learning fast and is building up quite a little beast of a 79 malibu (I think it likely began as a v6)!

He knows he will pay some for them...I am just trying to put him in touch with someone...he has few reliable connections at this point.

Thanks for the comments; no worries about not having them !
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:18 PM

This may or may not be a good price, but I wouldn't know. It's been tooooo many years since I played with Chebby parts. Suppose to be rebuilt. In the neighboring town. John

http://medford.craigslist.org/pts/1536557648.html
Old January 8th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think that is a very good buy on those heads. Depending on what has been done to them, it could be a great buy. The demand by street rodders is probably down a little since many of them are using crate engines. I have an extra set of these I have had for years but I think mine are 1.94's. They are commonly called camel back or double hump heads. I think the old 300 horse 327 used the 1.94's.
Old January 8th, 2010, 06:51 PM

That doesen't sound like a bad price. There are a couple of double hump heads, with different cast #s, also different valve sizes, 1.94 or 2.02. The 1.94 can be changed to 2.02 with new valves and seats [more cost in machine work] you would want hardened valves and seats anyway. The early heads did not have holes pre drilled for brackets, up to 68 or 69 [I think]. I check my chevy book on Saturday I'll see what other castings came with 2.02. I may know someone who has a set. Mine are 1.94 and need to be redone.
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Oldsdruid

In all honesty, with the current variety of decent aftermarket Chevy heads available, I would not waste time on a set of double-humps unless I was going for a correct numbers-matching restoration. By the time he's bought cores and paid for machine work and new parts, he'll come out about the same money and have a better product.

JR has a point about accessory mounting brackets. I've known more than a few guys who put headers on an early SBC and then had to rig a way to mount the PS and alternator.
Old January 8th, 2010, 08:28 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by rocketraider
In all honesty, with the current variety of decent aftermarket Chevy heads available, I would not waste time on a set of double-humps unless I was going for a correct numbers-matching restoration. By the time he's bought cores and paid for machine work and new parts, he'll come out about the same money and have a better product.

JR has a point about accessory mounting brackets. I've known more than a few guys who put headers on an early SBC and then had to rig a way to mount the PS and alternator.
You took the words out of my mouth. I would not even think about stock heads for a SBC build. Dart and World products heads have been around for 20 years now and I find them for sale cheap used all time or even new it will be hard to spend less by the time you pay for machine work and parts. My first performance engine I ever built myself was a mild 383 for my 78 Malibu I had at the time (thats where the handle gearheads78 comes from) I wanted to use stock 202 camel humps heads because I had them and ran it that way for a year. I widdled the time down to the low 8's in the 1/8th but hit a wall to go any faster. I found a deal on some Iron Eagle 200cc heads and first time back to the track with no other changes but in worse air was 7.6x I was sold to say the least. It was like putting a small nitrous kit on the car.
Old January 9th, 2010, 06:56 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks guys. All of this was my alterior motive for having made the post. I could have just done a few quick searches and found some heads. I figured you guys would come bearing top notch advice. I will pass all of this along to him and go from there.

Note...I believe he mentioned trying to acquire a set and what I assume must have been a set of 194s machined into 202s were offered. Once he got them, they measured 199...

All of that seems to simply confirm your advice to simply buy a nice set of aftermarket heads, put the $$ into upgrades rather than the machine shop!

If anyone wants to offer specific info on suppliers and experiences, I am sure he would eat it up (thanks for yours gearhead...btw, I love the 66!)
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Oldsdruid

Here's something else to consider on OE vs. aftermarket.

The absolute newest cores you'll find will be from 1970 or so, and no telling how many times they've been milled, surfaced etc with no documentation. He'd need to get them trued up on face and intake surface and then CC'd to find true compression numbers. Then if too much has been shaved, he'll get into intake sealing issues meaning more machine work. All of which translates to that much more $$ spent at the machine shop (and blows the myth of Chevy being cheap to build slap out of the water).

Then- if previous owners have done any port work, who knows what they'll flow or if in fact the job made them worse for what he wants to do.

Summit sells good aftermarket heads all day long that have accessory holes and proven designs and flow numbers. I think that's his best option to avoid getting into money spent unnecessarily.
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:45 AM
GM Enthusiast

I am pretty sure you can get new heads from Summit for a SBC for under $1000. Pretty hard to beat that.
Old January 9th, 2010, 09:56 AM
car guy

just a few with a little search

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dart-...item2a03c6a358

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DART-...item335905610b

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DART-...item563890c43e

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dart-...item3358eda248
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:39 AM

Talking

You all are awesome. This is why I love this place. Thanks for all the info. I will run through it with him this afternoon.

Since SBC is considerably more interesting than USH, he will eat this up...maybe a nice transition to the cultural impact of the transportation system on the civil rights movement is in order.

Again, many thanks.
Old January 11th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Oldsdruid

US History is interesting, especially late 19th and all 20th Century American History- as long as you get the REAL stuff and not what's in the currently sanitized history books. A student will have to dig on his own to get the good stuff.

Then when I dug up the good stuff in 1973, I was told I should stick to the curriculum as that's what the school wanted me to learn.

I knew right then they didn't want you to know what really happened!