Carburetor Grommet

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2012, 06:53 AM

Carburetor Grommet

Hello all i just bought a new accelerator cable from Brothers but it does not come with the rubber grommet that goes in the end that attaches to the carburetor. The cable is for a 1972 Cutlass 350 with a 4 barrel carb. Does anyone have one they are willing to sell? Thank you....Todd
email: toddvcarroll@hotmail.com
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Oldsdruid

You should be able to find one in the Motormite Help section at an Advance Auto or Auto Zone. Might have to buy an assortment package to get the one you need.

If not there, a well stocked hardware store will probably have it.
Old May 17th, 2012, 06:20 PM

I'll give it a shot ...thanks......Todd
Old May 17th, 2012, 08:54 PM

There are two different repro throttle cables being made/sold....one has the original/correct sized larger hole at the carb end of the cable and uses the grommet/sleeve setup. The hole size IN THE METAL END is just about 1/2" diameter.

On the other cable being made/sold the hole size is just large enough to slip over the metal post on the carb linkage...maybe 1/4" or so. These aren't large enough to use any sort of grommet or sleeve and people have had problems with them binding up.

Which version do you have?

The challenge is finding a grommet that is NARROW enough to work with the cable setup.....I bought a grommet assortment box locally and all the grommets are too wide. The original setup also uses a thin washer on one side of the grommet that isolates the grommet from the hairpin cotter clip. It's best to get all the parts for smooth, bind-free operation. I have the washers and hairpin cotters if you can't find any but the washer will only work with a narrow enough grommet.

If you have the original style carb end on the cable (with the larger hole) you can get a setup that works from Supercars Unlimited...a special narrow grommet and the inner sleeve.

Last edited by 70Post; May 17th, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old May 17th, 2012, 09:05 PM

Here's an old thread on this topic with pictures

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...pics-help.html
Old May 17th, 2012, 10:22 PM

I have the original cable set up. I actually prefer the smaller version but cant find one. I have a brand new original so I will try Supercars even though the guy who owns it is a bit of a dick....Thanks for your help ....Todd
Old May 17th, 2012, 10:31 PM

I don't make the people, just the recommendation....especially since the grommet setup that Parts Place will sell you is completely wrong so don't go there for it. Greg @Supercars has figured out the right combo and should have them.

NOS stuff is around but it ain't cheap.

The large hole setup is much better IMO from the function/friction/etc standpoint. The Olds factory people did their homework on that design.
Old May 17th, 2012, 10:51 PM

Thank you for your recommendation and your opinion it is appreciated. I will get it from Greg and a few other parts to make it worth while. ~Cheers~ Todd