General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Throttle cable grommet issues with pics/help!

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2010, 08:57 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Throttle cable grommet issues with pics/help!

My goal is to keep my car as factory stock looking as possible.

All the reproduction throttle cables I see have an end like this where it hooks to the throttle lever stud.
DSC02024.jpg

On the left is an original cable end that holds a rubber grommet and plastic sleeve.
On the right is a cable I found on ebay from The Parts Place that was advertised as OEM factory style with limited availabilty,they said they only had 2 available.It is very close to original.
DSC02025.jpg

On the top in this pic is a reproduction grommet from The Parts Place.On the bottom is a piece of an original grommet,notice the difference in thickness?
The reproduction is so thick it will not allow the retaining clip to be installed once installed on the throttle lever stud.Even if I remove some material from the white plastic sleeve it will still be to thick,see the last 2 pics.
DSC02020.jpg

Where can I find a correct thickness rubber grommet and white plastic sleeve? I don't want to keep ordering from the aftermarket to find out they all fit the same.
If I am lucky enough to find the correct thickness grommet,when I install the plastic sleeve,should the sleeve be placed as in pic #1 or pic #2.Ignore the 2 barrel carb in the pics,it's just for demonstration for the pics.The throttle lever stud is the same length on this 2 barrel as the 4 barrel I'm using.

Pic # 1
DSC02018.jpg

Pic # 2
DSC02019.jpg

Any thoughts,ideas,tips or info will be appreciated.Never thought a throttle cable would cause me so much grief. Thanks
Old January 16th, 2010, 10:53 AM

I would go to a local autoparts store. They will have an assortment of grommets hopefully have the one you need. At least you could see them and wouldn't have to order something that might not work. Good luck finding what you need.

Last edited by 70 cutlass s; January 16th, 2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old January 16th, 2010, 04:43 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
I would go to a local autoparts store. They will have an assortment of grommets hopefully have the one you need. At least you could see them and wouldn't have to order something that you might not work. Good luck finding what you need.
I'll try the local parts stores,thanks for the idea
Old January 16th, 2010, 05:16 PM

You are not making my day, I just ordered a cable from Parts Place about an hour before I saw this thread. I am not sure what is going on with my origional one but it is to short to reach the stock 4bbl bracket. The car had an edelbrock and was all cobbled up. I'm thinking it was a 2bl car.
Old January 17th, 2010, 07:51 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Originally Posted by dhoff
You are not making my day, I just ordered a cable from Parts Place about an hour before I saw this thread. I am not sure what is going on with my origional one but it is to short to reach the stock 4bbl bracket. The car had an edelbrock and was all cobbled up. I'm thinking it was a 2bl car.
Sorry,last thing I want is to be the bearer of bad news for someone
Old January 19th, 2010, 02:42 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
I would go to a local autoparts store. They will have an assortment of grommets hopefully have the one you need. At least you could see them and wouldn't have to order something that might not work. Good luck finding what you need.
Thanks again for the idea,went to my local Car Quest store and found a pack of 10 assorted size grommets,found 1 in the pack I think I can make work...it's alot better than the 1 I recieved from The Parts Place.

thank you
Old January 19th, 2010, 08:43 PM

Glad to help. Hopes it works out for you.
Old January 20th, 2010, 05:34 AM

It is interesting I came across this thread - I finally found that my car is missing this bushing and grommet. This is part of the reason the carb's secondaries do not open.

In theory, my throttle cable seemed too short by 0.6".
I put some spacers on the cable at the pedal for testing and in the process of taking measurements at the carb, the cable was loose as a goose on the carb linkage! The little cotter pin was there but not the bushing or grommet. They were most likely tossed when the carb was replaced many years ago. Stupid "mechanics"....
Adding the missing parts will reduce the above # by 0.25".

Now WHY is the parts place selling grommets that are so much bigger? Have they even seen an Olds carb before??
I might see what Napa might have - there are no Car Quests here.
There is a Camaro parts supplier down the street who has the grommets, but in their catalog they look like the big'un in the pictures above...
Old January 20th, 2010, 05:49 AM

If you are ever out at the junk yard check the older cars, last time I was there I picked up 2 good sets of bushings w/ the clips, they even gave 'em to me with the purchase of a $30 bumper.
Old January 20th, 2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Anderson
If you are ever out at the junk yard check the older cars.
I will keep my eyes peeled, but it is very hard to find anything older than 1980 in yards around here.
Any ideas on what year range cars to look for?
Old January 20th, 2010, 07:25 AM

I hear you about the older cars, when iron went up they crushed them like crazy, I just looked at anything with a 4 barrel, most have the small shaft and bushing, but after sticking my head under a 100 hoods I lucked out
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:00 AM

Just for reference, the one for 67-69 Camaro measures 3/8" wide (or thick) so it appears that Chevy carb linkages were different and some places sold them incorrectly for Olds. Ironically, Fusick does not sell these at all - I think they know they do not fit.

I may pick up one of these wrongies for 3 bucks and see if I can mod it to work...

Originally Posted by Eric Anderson
after sticking my head under a 100 hoods I lucked out
I would be lucky to find 10 in a whole day's trek...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; January 20th, 2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old January 20th, 2010, 04:15 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I have the same problem around my area. No older cars in any of the yards,it's all late model stuff.
Old March 26th, 2010, 02:43 PM

Glad I found this thread! In the process of starting to put my 1972 cutlass (350 4bbl) back together and found out that I too was missing the bushing and grommet . I have access to a lathe and could machine a new bushing and I'm sure I could source a grommet from one of my vendors. Problem is I have no idea what the sizes of either are? I suppose I could reverse engineer it and figure something out but would like to make up the "correct" bushing and source the "correct" grommet to achive the correct amount of play. I wouldn't want to have it bind up and cause me to Toyota out of control!
Could someone provide measurements of each? I would be happy to make an extra bushing or two to share and if I find a good grommet share those also (usually come in pack of ten).

Any help would be appreciated

Mike
Old March 26th, 2010, 03:09 PM
is Fast Enough ...

I machined an aluminimum one as it doesn't have to be rubber ...
Old March 26th, 2010, 03:17 PM
is Fast Enough ...

100_2225.jpg
Old March 26th, 2010, 03:24 PM
is Fast Enough ...

100_2226.jpg

100_2223.jpg
Old March 27th, 2010, 03:33 AM

You were breathing when you clicked the camera...a quick fix on the thick grommet is to cut a slot for the pin to go through until you find the correct thickness...
Old March 27th, 2010, 06:50 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

It's funny this thread comes back up,today was the first day I was able to get the car out from winter and test out my new used throttle cable.

It worked great! no more sticking and hard to push feel,now it is smooth as silk and easy.
I ended up getting ahold of a used original throttle cable but naturally it was missing the sleeve and grommet.
A board member advised me SuperCars Unlimited sold a grommet and sleeve. This is one of their reproductions in action.I don't think it's correct in fit or appearance but it works.

DSC02254.jpg

I have no idea what an original grommet and sleeve look like or measure,the piece of original grommet I have is all I've ever seen.

Last edited by w-30dreamin; March 27th, 2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old March 27th, 2010, 08:54 PM

Back when you first posted this thread I got to poking around the garage. I began to wonder if the difference was between the 2 bbl and 4 bbl carbs? Attached are some pictures from a 1971 350 with a 2 bbl carb.

P1010019-2.jpg

P1010020-2.jpg

P1010021.jpg

I'm afraid I took pictures then got sidetracked and forgot to post them! I'm glad you found one that would work. Greg at Supercars is a good guy and has a long history with these cars. John
Old March 27th, 2010, 09:16 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

So,that's what originals look like.

When the grommet is in the circle of the throttle cable,can you spin the grommet?
When the sleeve is in the grommet,can you spin the sleeve?

I'm just wondering how the originals are,this reproduction from Supercars is a very tight fit that allows no spinning of the grommet or sleeve.

thanks
Old March 29th, 2010, 08:08 AM

The Olds is supposed to have a 1/4" wide bushing but the camaro one is 3/8" wide.
I bought the 2 piece Camaro bushing (pic below) for 3 bucks and cut about 1/8” off of one end with a razor blade, as it was too wide for the Olds carb. Fitt was great.
The outer rubber was 1/2" and the plastic bushing inner dia is 1/4". The rubber is secured in the throttle cable hole and the rubber rotates on the plastic.
It works great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ACL23.jpg (3.6 KB, 53 views)
Old March 29th, 2010, 06:43 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

^^ that looks like the same grommet/bushing I recieved from the parts place. Cutting the bushing would not have been a problem,cutting the grommet to fit and look right seemed impossable to me at the time.

Old March 30th, 2010, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
^^ that looks like the same grommet/bushing I recieved from the parts place. Cutting the bushing would not have been a problem,cutting the grommet to fit and look right seemed impossable to me at the time.

Same part - its a chevy part...
Both pieces cut very easily with a razor blade.
I cut it so the outer ridge and the big white side of the bushing were towards the tiny cotter pin. That way nothing will come undone.
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:32 AM

Thumbs up

I want to thank everyone for their input. After a lot of looking for the correct grommet and bushing and nearly giving up and just making something that would work my neighbor found me an original set!, both the grommet and the bushing (for my 72 cutlass 350 4bbl). Brand new in the package. He has a friend who manages a GM service department and he found them in stock (not in the normal inventory software) at a dealer in the mid west. Got them the other day and they were the correct ones!

He found 4 sets total across the country and I told him to grab them. I used one set and he sold one set to a co-workers father. That means he has two sets left up for grabs. New in the original packaging. If anyone is interested shoot me a message and I'll put you in touch with him.

Sorry about the poor quality of the images, couldn't get a clear picture of the grommet and bushing to save my life.

Thanks again for everyones help.
Attached Images
grommet and bushing.JPG (72.5 KB, 65 views)
installed with ss washer.JPG (61.5 KB, 49 views)
Old April 18th, 2010, 10:27 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Originally Posted by mmcilroy
I want to thank everyone for their input. After a lot of looking for the correct grommet and bushing and nearly giving up and just making something that would work my neighbor found me an original set!, both the grommet and the bushing (for my 72 cutlass 350 4bbl). Brand new in the package. He has a friend who manages a GM service department and he found them in stock (not in the normal inventory software) at a dealer in the mid west. Got them the other day and they were the correct ones!

He found 4 sets total across the country and I told him to grab them. I used one set and he sold one set to a co-workers father. That means he has two sets left up for grabs. New in the original packaging. If anyone is interested shoot me a message and I'll put you in touch with him.

Sorry about the poor quality of the images, couldn't get a clear picture of the grommet and bushing to save my life.

Thanks again for everyones help.
Hi,
That's great you were able to find the correct parts,wow,4 left across the country.
I've sent you a private message.
thanks
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
The Olds is supposed to have a 1/4" wide bushing but the camaro one is 3/8" wide.
I bought the 2 piece Camaro bushing (pic below) for 3 bucks and cut about 1/8” off of one end with a razor blade, as it was too wide for the Olds carb. Fitt was great.
The outer rubber was 1/2" and the plastic bushing inner dia is 1/4". The rubber is secured in the throttle cable hole and the rubber rotates on the plastic.
It works great!
What year of Camaro is this from, big or small block, and does it matter? Trying to help my dad get his 455 98 back in the game, thanks.
Old August 8th, 2011, 02:08 PM

I have some of the OEM NOS grommets and sleeves. I could be talked into selling some if the price is right. I have had these for over 20 years and they are originals. PM/email me if you need one.

Thanks

Mike
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I....
Now WHY is the parts place selling grommets that are so much bigger? Have they even seen an Olds carb before??
Well, since a lot of their stuff is Chebby re-bagged as Olds...

I'll throw one more wrinkle in here...

I'm looking 2 Olds Quadrajets which have different stud lengths.

Original '68 7028250 - base to clip groove edge = ~ .120"
Older 7029253 service replacement (date Mar 74) - base to clip groove edge = ~ .240"
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by hmartin
What year of Camaro is this from, big or small block, and does it matter? Trying to help my dad get his 455 98 back in the game, thanks.
Catalog just states 67-69 Camaro part # ACL-23 - no engine references.

Odd this thread comes back up - I removed that bushing yesterday so I could paint the metal accel. cable end.
Still holding up well!