Old December 27th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Ashtray door spring clips

Thanks again! On to the next one!
AL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
spring clip.jpg (69.8 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by Al Graaf; December 31st, 2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Situation resolved
Old December 27th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Check with one of the parts guys on this site (jensenracing77, oldspackrat, 2blu442, J-Chicago ..to name a few) If no one here has them, they are pretty cheap at parts place - 6.00 Part number IN4767T. Yeah, without those springs the darn ash tray door falls out all the time
Old December 27th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by Allan R
Check with one of the parts guys on this site (jensenracing77, oldspackrat, 2blu442, J-Chicago ..to name a few) If no one here has them, they are pretty cheap at parts place - 6.00 Part number IN4767T. Yeah, without those springs the darn ash tray door falls out all the time
Allan-that was quick, I'll check! Thanks much.
AL
Old December 27th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Allan you were right! Parts Place had them Who would have thought. Need to get a current catalog from them. Thanks so much!
AL
Old December 31st, 2011, 08:45 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Thanks again Allan. Will bother you with more questions in the future. Happy New Year and let's hope we're all still here this time next year looking for parts and advice!
AL
Old December 31st, 2011, 08:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by shimmer
Thanks again Allan. Will bother you with more questions in the future. Happy New Year and let's hope we're all still here this time next year looking for parts and advice!
AL
Anytime Al. Happy New Year to you and your family too!
Stay tuned for more Bat news over this Bat channel. Only way I won't be here next year is if me or the computer craps out. Oh wait, I bought insurance against either one of those things happening, so yer stuck with me for another year!!
Old August 19th, 2013, 08:05 PM
JC

Which way do these clips go on, concave side inward or out away from ash tray?
thx.
Old August 19th, 2013, 08:57 PM
"Trying to fix her right"

Originally Posted by JCMC64
Which way do these clips go on, concave side inward or out away from ash tray?
thx.
Out away, so the concave grabs the side of the housing and holds the door up.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:02 AM
JC

OK...but the only way I can get it to work right is to have the concave side facing the ash tray, and convex side facing out towards dash housing. When I do it the other way around it does not work, just grabs and doesnt slide smoothly at all, locks up so to speak. Any pics ?
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:58 PM

Ok maybe my terminology is off. Let me think how to explain this... You have to have the "C" of the spring facing away from the ashtray. In other works, the two ends need to basically scrap against the walls of the ashtray opening, not the rounded part of the spring. I though that was concave, but I could be wrong. I tried to take a pic but its really hard to see it. It's been a couple months since I replaced mine, but I don't remember it being too hard. Did you take the door completely off?
Old August 22nd, 2013, 01:24 PM
JC

Oh yeah...dash is completely out of car. Interior is completely gutted. Doing a restore of entire car.
Concave = valley side
convex = hump or hill side so to speak.

So I did try both ways like I said and only way I can get the door to open smoothly is when the convex side, the rounded hump part is facing away from the ashtray door and convex side is facing the door. Ive played with it so many times it just does not work the other way around.. Maybe I need some new springs. They are only 6 bucks. But still want to know for sure which way they go. Thanks for your help bro.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 02:13 PM

It's definitely the concave side facing away from the door.

Mine makes a scrapping sound when I open the door, and the black paint that someone painted my dash with is coming off showing green Stupid hacks!
Not the best design but I guess it works.

How are your door tabs? When I put the springs in, I don't know why they call them springs, the tabs where just a little bit past the spring.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:36 PM
JC

Yeah, not best design at all! Like alot of things on these old a bodies. In restoring the car, even with my simple mind Ive found so many things with the thought - "Why in the world...if they would of just done this\that, it would of made so much more sense, make things so much easier to work on, etc etc."

Oh well. My ash tray door just wont work with concave side out. I'll get some new ones and try them. Mine locks up the other way, wont open at all. Re tabs...I go to junkyard alot and picked up another really nice ash tray door. Im going to compare them. Yes the tabs barely stick out of springs on mine too. At times it doesnt even seem like it rides in the channels as they are to shallow, dont reach into channels.
Micky mouse man, micky mouse.