Another New Guy 1964 Stafire Parts needed

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2014, 06:55 AM

Another New Guy 1964 Stafire Parts needed

I have been reading forums here for awhile and decided to join. I am restoring a 1964 Olds Starfire and am missing a few parts. I need 1 headlight bezel with the chrome cross in it. GM part # 588643. I am also looking for a good piece of chrome that goes across the back of car above bumper,below trunk lid, that goes behind taillight. It is the width of car and approximately 7 inches wide that has oldsmobile emblem(letters) on it. I have bben looking for awhile and with no luck finding these things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You Mike
Old December 29th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, post a new intro in the Newbie section when you get a chance. I moved your thread to the correct forum, parts wanted.
Old December 29th, 2014, 09:07 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by majmob
I have been reading forums here for awhile and decided to join. I am restoring a 1964 Olds Starfire and am missing a few parts. I need 1 headlight bezel with the chrome cross in it. GM part # 588643. I am also looking for a good piece of chrome that goes across the back of car above bumper,below trunk lid, that goes behind taillight. It is the width of car and approximately 7 inches wide that has oldsmobile emblem(letters) on it. I have bben looking for awhile and with no luck finding these things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You Mike

Welcome, Mike!

There is a junkyard near me that has (OR HAD?, it's been a while) a '64 Starfire years ago; it was a front end wreck, so the headlight bezels probably are destroyed, but I doubt that too many people remember that they had the chrome cross on them.....lol!

I had a '64 Starfire, and got a concave rear glass from this car, after some little punk kids knocked mine out with a rock....little bastards!

I will try to check and see if that car is still there, if you need the rear panel or any other parts!
Old December 29th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Oldsdruid

I looked for roof stars for 14 years before finding them. I've looked for a nice tail panel for near 30 and haven't found one. The only NOS one I ever found was beat up around the LH taillight opening and the guy still wanted $250 for it.

The tri-bar headlight ornament was only on early production cars. Even then I've seen them only on Lansing-built cars.
Old December 29th, 2014, 09:53 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rocketraider

The tri-bar headlight ornament was only on early production cars. Even then I've seen them only on Lansing-built cars.
Thanks, rocketraider; that probably explains why I have seen so few of them, but my yellow '64 had them.....
Old December 29th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Oldsdruid

My green one (10C Lansing) has them; the blue one (12B Linden) does not. And both have tail-panel dings...

I don't think I've ever seen a Tahitian Yellow 1964 Starfire. I bet that thing was a looker. It's a great color for the 1964 cars. All the yellow 64s I've ever seen were A-bodies and a couple of Dynamic 88s.
Old December 31st, 2014, 02:34 PM

64 Starfire rear trim

Hello Mike,
I have this piece on a parts car(along with the rest of the car), I was thinking it is aluminum or stainless? I will get a couple of photos for you next chance I get. Please send me your email address via PM and I'll get those to you.
Happy New Year!,
Randy
Old January 5th, 2015, 05:13 AM

I have parts, call 7082209204 w/list
Old January 5th, 2015, 06:14 AM

Welcome, my Starfire has the bezel with the star and outside of yours I'd never seen another one like it. They are riveted on but seemed to me to fit very well to be a aftermarket deal.

My tail plate, between the taillights, is dinged too. I know a guy here in Denver that restores vintage race cars and his metal work is out of this world. I was going to hit him up about straightening mine, or maybe just making a new one. I'll let you know what he says when I get mine to him.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 06:54 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies, I did however take my rear panel to our local body shop and they worked on it and took dings out of it, painted it to original matching stainless color. Looks very nice. And am still looking for a headlight bezel with the cross in it. I guess I do not know if this was original or an aftermarket thing. I did find two without cross and have them on car as of now

thanks again
Old February 23rd, 2015, 03:58 AM
Oldsdruid

The tri-bar headlight rings are not aftermarket. They are original equipment for early production 1964 Starfires.

You can probably get some aftermarket ones from Mooneyes or somewhere that will attach behind the headlight retainer ring, but they won't be exactly like the factory piece.

All it took was one idiot state DMV to say the things were hazardous or didn't meet their lighting standards and it was easier to discontinue them than to get into a protracted battle.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 06:37 AM

That is how the world turns. Always someone making decisions to ruin it for others. But I will keep looking for the headlight ring and maybe someday I will find one.

Thanks for the info