68-69 Vista Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2015, 03:11 PM

68-69 Vista Gas Tank

Need a good one. Has to be 68 or 69 as 70-72 are different
Old April 15th, 2015, 04:51 PM

tt
Old April 15th, 2015, 05:20 PM

I will have a vista tank if no one buys my 68.
Old April 15th, 2015, 07:41 PM

Let me know
THANKS
Old April 15th, 2015, 10:21 PM

I have a 68 Vista that I'm ready to start parting out. I'll check out the tank condition for you. Never pulled a wagon gas tank before though, are they a bear or pretty straightforward?
Old April 16th, 2015, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by 442mark
I have a 68 Vista that I'm ready to start parting out. I'll check out the tank condition for you. Never pulled a wagon gas tank before though, are they a bear or pretty straightforward?

Two straps and straight out the bottom. The manual shows taking the rear tire off letting the suspension down and pulling the tank out through the wheel opening. Either way not a big task.

THANKS
And let me know if you can help
Old April 16th, 2015, 08:00 AM

I have a '70 flat top wagon with dual tail pipes and my tail pipe prevents me from pulling the tank. To get the tank out I have to torch off the weld that holds the tail pipe to the hangar because I can't get the hangar off with the pipe on. If I don't move my pipe the bottom of the tank hits the pipe just enough to prevent me from pulling the tank all of the way forward. My tail pipes may not go back towards the rear of the car as far as the original ones so yours may not be in the way. My come out just aft of the rear tires under the bottom of the fender. I could move them further aft but they look pretty cool where they are so I'll leave them where they are.

Once my tail pipe is out of the way the tank comes out pretty easy. I still haven't figured out why the manual calls for letting my suspension down. In my case I don't have to.

The two straps that hold that tank on get in the way too. The one that is attached to the inside of the outer fender has to come all of the way off in order for me to get the tank off (at least for me). If I get my wife to help me she pry's the fender out just a little bit and I can slide that strap backwards then up and out. Once you get in there you'll see what I mean.

Also, pushing that tank towards the rear of the car gives me a little more room to get that strap out.

Depending on how your sending unit wire (the tan one that runs to the front of the car) is hanging you will have to disconnect this first at the sending unit to get the tank out otherwise you may not have enough slack to pull the tank forward enough. Those wires pull off vertically from the sending unit. It's held on by a little ring that slips tightly around the nub on the sending unit.

The ground wire is tack welded on (at least it was on mine) to the tab on the sending unit. So unscrew that from the inner side wall and leave it attached to the sending unit.

On mine it was spliced with a longer wire so I had enough slack to leave it attached until I could get the tank pretty far forward.

When you undo the fuel lines you are going to get about a quarter of a gallon of fuel coming out (maybe a little less) so have something to catch it in.

They do not come out of the bottom of the fender (at least not flat top wagons). The tanks are rounded to match the contour of the fender. You have to slide the tank forward and out of the tire well.

Anyways, it's not hard but it definitely helps to have a helper.

It took me a long time get mine out but I was taking it easy. The sun was out, it was warm, tunes were playing and I was drinking beer. It might not take you the half a day it took me. Without the tail pipe in the way I could probably get it out in under an hour now that I've done it before. Good luck!

Also, I would like to buy that sending unit from you if you decide to sell it separately from the tank.

Last edited by flyingethan; April 16th, 2015 at 08:10 AM. Reason: want to add more info.
Old April 17th, 2015, 12:09 AM

Thanks for the tips on getting it out guys! I will get to working on it this weekend.