68 442 upper control arms shims

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2022, 04:17 PM

Looking for a complete set of upper control arm shims. I beleive that they came in a set of 12 and (3) different sizes 0.030", 0.060" & 0.120". New or in great shape.
Old April 6th, 2022, 09:07 PM
Administrator

If you're not a 100% purist:
Amazon.com: 144 Pieces Auto Alignment Body Shim 1/16" 1/64" 1/32" 1/8" Alignment Shims Assortment Set : Automotive Amazon.com: 144 Pieces Auto Alignment Body Shim 1/16" 1/64" 1/32" 1/8" Alignment Shims Assortment Set : Automotive
Old April 7th, 2022, 06:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
If you're not a 100% purist:
I think the whole point is that he IS.
Old April 7th, 2022, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Not with that fake w27 diff cover... How many cars were re-aligned at the dealer with factory shims under warranty?
Old April 7th, 2022, 09:10 AM

It is original!

I beg your pardon the W-27 cover is an original (not a fake) bought from another Oldsmobile collector in Burke VA many years ago and it wasnt cheap. In the case of the console latch which no one reproduces i made one by hand (made in the USA) I have managed so far not to put any parts made in China on my automobile and would like to continue. Even my "Force Air Induction" is original and made in the USA. I have never bought ANYTHING that was made in China that was of good quality so why should i start now. I will make some by hand before i buy chinese. Their standards are not the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0905.JPG (736.8 KB, 26 views)
W-27.JPG (162.0 KB, 23 views)
65 69 442 console latch.JPG (680.5 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by W-27; April 7th, 2022 at 09:25 AM.
Old April 7th, 2022, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
........ How many cars were re-aligned at the dealer with factory shims under warranty?
When I worked at the Olds dealership, we re-used factory shims, that were removed from cars, to correct the alignment; had piles of them in the alignment pit.
Old April 7th, 2022, 09:59 AM

If you're not in a hurry, and can let me know which ones you need, I should be able to get you oem used shims.
Old April 7th, 2022, 11:28 AM

Shims

Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN269V
If you're not in a hurry, and can let me know which ones you need, I should be able to get you oem used shims.
Not in a hurry but would love to find some soon. I dont have part numbers but i know they were about (12) total 0.030", 0.060" & 0.120" plkease let me know if you find some.
Old April 7th, 2022, 11:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Well this is interesting. Apparently A-body shims are different from those used on full size cars. Who knew?

Old April 7th, 2022, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by W-27
I beg your pardon the W-27 cover is an original (not a fake) bought from another Oldsmobile collector in Burke VA many years ago and it wasnt cheap. In the case of the console latch which no one reproduces i made one by hand (made in the USA) I have managed so far not to put any parts made in China on my automobile and would like to continue. Even my "Force Air Induction" is original and made in the USA. I have never bought ANYTHING that was made in China that was of good quality so why should i start now. I will make some by hand before i buy chinese. Their standards are not the same.
I truly don't mean anything other than to inform you. Please don't be upset with me but sadly, you got took. This is a repop cover.
Old April 7th, 2022, 12:44 PM

We had a repop and the original side-by-side and there is a difference in the thickness of the aluminum and in the casting used originally and it was obvious but think what you want. I am the only one that as to know the truth.
Old April 7th, 2022, 12:45 PM

ouch
Alain red W-31
P/S just do your best
Old April 7th, 2022, 12:47 PM

........i know they were about (12) total 0.030", 0.060" & 0.120" .........
As I explained in your PM, each vehicle is unique as to where and how many shims are placed. By adding or subtracting equal amounts, you can change the Camber; by adding or subtracting from either the front or rear position, you alter the Caster. This is an over simplification, but you get the idea. The vehicle would have to be checked on alignment equipment to determine if, where and how many shims would need to be added/subtracted. If you were closer to me I would have you bring me the car. I have a Hunter alignment set-up and have been doing alignments for ......a long time.
Old April 7th, 2022, 12:57 PM

Of course, i totally understand but my shims are a real mess and none are originals so i could measure each one and tell you the total thickness that i would need. I wish you were closer i would bring the automobile to you.
Old April 7th, 2022, 01:43 PM

We had a repop and the original side-by-side and there is a difference in the thickness of the aluminum and in the casting used originally and it was obvious but think what you want. I am the only one that as to know the truth.
There are more than one repop out there and this one is the better of the two that I have seen but this is a repop. If you have had a real one you can spot a repop from a mile away weather it is the better repop or the bad repops. Again, I am only trying to inform, not trying to nitpick your stuff.
Old April 7th, 2022, 02:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Of course, i totally understand but my shims are a real mess and none are originals so i could measure each one and tell you the total thickness that i would need. I wish you were closer i would bring the automobile to you.
It doesn't matter what the thicknesses were before, other than to get you close. The fact that the suspension has been apart says that the only way to get the correct shim pack thickness is to perform a proper alignment. That's why the parts book says "AR" - as required. Just loosening and tightening suspension bolts will change things. Unless you only plan to push the car off and on the trailer at shows, do it right.
Old April 7th, 2022, 02:36 PM

Joe, i plan on it. I keeped each set of shims (4) labeled and bagged so that i can install the same thickness prior to a front end alignment (it wont be perfect but close to what i had).
Old April 7th, 2022, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
There are more than one repop out there and this one is the better of the two that I have seen but this is a repop. If you have had a real one you can spot a repop from a mile away weather it is the better repop or the bad repops. Again, I am only trying to inform, not trying to nitpick your stuff.
I did a search on past threads concerning original vs reproduction. I couldn't find one with good clear photos of the various reproductions vs an original. I would be interested in seeing such a comparison.
Old April 7th, 2022, 03:00 PM
Administrator

I would not worry about the shims:
Old April 7th, 2022, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
I did a search on past threads concerning original vs reproduction. I couldn't find one with good clear photos of the various reproductions vs an original. I would be interested in seeing such a comparison.
The imperfection I circled in this picture is the simplest way to tell. There are others as well

Old April 7th, 2022, 04:29 PM

This may clear my situation on the shims. They are all different sizes but i strongly suspect that the ones in the middle of the first picture is original in size. I also found a set for Corvette's in which size, thickness and original part number match. Here is the link in case anyone else may be interested in them (USA made): https://www.ebay.com/itm/153960594674
Attached Images
IMG_3585.JPG (821.0 KB, 8 views)
IMG_3586.JPG (887.6 KB, 4 views)
IMG_3587.JPG (801.4 KB, 4 views)
IMG_3588.JPG (856.5 KB, 6 views)
Old April 8th, 2022, 04:57 PM

I bought those shims a while back as I do my own alignments and I was pleased with them.
Old April 8th, 2022, 08:42 PM

That is good to know but just curious on how you do your own alignments without a big Hunter? Is it something that anyone can do with the correct tools? I would love to do my own if i could.
Old April 9th, 2022, 01:50 AM

That is good to know but just curious on how you do your own alignments without a big Hunter? Is it something that anyone can do with the correct tools? I would love to do my own if i could.
You don’t need a large alignment machine to do an alignment. I use a camber/ caster gauge, toe plates, and you may have to use the string method to make sure your front wheels are aligned with the rear wheels.
Old April 9th, 2022, 06:24 AM
72 Olds CS

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...lignment-tools

theres lots of home alignmrent options
Old April 9th, 2022, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...lignment-tools

theres lots of home alignmrent options
The basic problem with a DIY alignment set-up is you can't take the "runout" of your wheels. In other words, if one/both of your front wheel outer lips are slightly out of true with the center, where it attaches to the hub or the drum/rotor surface isn't true or has dirt between the wheel and mounting surface, you can't get an accurate reading. The set-up that I have, while being portable, also allows me to compensate for an out of true situation. When doing an alignment, you're actually aligning the spindles, not the wheels. The first thing that I do when checking alignment, after checking for worn ball joints and loose wheel bearings, is to attach my alignment heads and slowly rotate the wheel, while watching a bubble level. By adjusting three thumb screws that hold the head to the mounting fixture, I get the alignment head in a true vertical plane. Then any readings that I get are true to the spindle.
Old April 9th, 2022, 06:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

I also do my own alignments. The biggest investment is a set of turn plates so you can turn the wheels to set camber. I was fortunate to find a used set relatively inexpensively at Carlisle. I know some people use layers of wax paper or greased masonite to facilitate turning the wheels, but that seems squirrrelly to me. I've tried several different types of toe gauges. These two aluminum plates with tape measures have been the easiest to use and most accurate. There are a variety of magnetic bubble gauges for caster and camber.

Old April 9th, 2022, 07:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN269V
The basic problem with a DIY alignment set-up is you can't take the "runout" of your wheels. In other words, if one/both of your front wheel outer lips are slightly out of true with the center, where it attaches to the hub or the drum/rotor surface isn't true or has dirt between the wheel and mounting surface, you can't get an accurate reading. The set-up that I have, while being portable, also allows me to compensate for an out of true situation. When doing an alignment, you're actually aligning the spindles, not the wheels. The first thing that I do when checking alignment, after checking for worn ball joints and loose wheel bearings, is to attach my alignment heads and slowly rotate the wheel, while watching a bubble level. By adjusting three thumb screws that hold the head to the mounting fixture, I get the alignment head in a true vertical plane. Then any readings that I get are true to the spindle.
The magnetic gauge I posted above mounts to the hub, not the wheel, but that requires you to remove the center cap which can be a PITA. Frankly, if your wheels are that far off, you'll probably feel it as vibration at speed. And if you really care, just check alignment with the wheels clocked a couple of different ways to check.
Old April 9th, 2022, 04:54 PM

With very few shops willing to align older automobiles like ours this is great information. You can probably buy all the tools for about the same price as an alignment job.
Old April 9th, 2022, 05:03 PM

What specific tool do you guys use to tighten the (2) cam 11/16" bolts on the drive side? They are hard to get to.
Old April 10th, 2022, 09:30 AM

Truth be told the turn plates are not cheap but worth searching for. It is refreshing to know that one can actually do their own front end alignment providing they have all the necessery tools and knowledge on how to go about it. I have seen Snap On, Hunter and Weaver turn plates average used price of $500.00 and not sure which brand as more longevity and accuracy than the others. The search for knowledge and tools will go on.
Old April 10th, 2022, 09:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

There's nothing magic about the turn plates - just bearings and sliders that avoid preloading the suspension when you turn. Frankly the Chinesium ones are fine when you do one alignment a year or less. Also, mine are ancient and I got them at Carlisle for like $50. Keep your eyes peeled.
Old April 10th, 2022, 10:36 AM

Thanks Joe.
Old April 10th, 2022, 10:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks Joe.
I should probably point out that my turn plates live in Loudoun County. Just sayin'
Old April 10th, 2022, 03:20 PM

Thanks

Joe, i truly appreciate the offer and i may take you up on it but i have a mobile welder coming to weld the washers in the pictures, than i go to shimming and in the end i will need to align the front end. I will keep you posted as i still want to get original ignition, glove box key's made. Louis.
Attached Images
upper control arm plans.jpg (7.3 KB, 96 views)
upper control arm washer.jpg (5.7 KB, 92 views)
Upper Control arm bolts.jpg (6.7 KB, 90 views)