'67 442 Instrument Cluster

Old May 12th, 2018, 01:20 PM

'67 442 Instrument Cluster

I posted this but I think I put it in the wrong place on this forum. I am trying again.
I have a '67 442. It has an instrument cluster without the temp, oil pressure, and amp(?) gauges. I would like to purchase an original cluster that has those gauges (tach come on it too?) If someone has such they can PM me. Tks,
Mike
Madison, Ms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0145.JPG (770.2 KB, 16 views)
IMG_0144.JPG (847.1 KB, 15 views)
IMG_0146.JPG (931.8 KB, 13 views)
Old May 12th, 2018, 02:00 PM

That cluster is called a Ralley Pack, and it does have an integral tach. Finding a nice one that has functioning gauges is a challenge. They are also very pricey. Good Luck!
Old May 12th, 2018, 02:34 PM

tick toc tach-i might be able to set u up-it would be about 1500.00
Old May 13th, 2018, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by jollyolds
tick toc tach-i might be able to set u up-it would be about 1500.00

Thanks. I guess I had no idea that those clusters were that expensive. I'm just putting a Vintage Air unit in this '67, and need top recover from that before jumping into the Ralley Pac. Thanks for the responses.
Old May 13th, 2018, 03:32 PM

you are better off buying a new set of gauges like these. Let the guys with rare cars have the tic toc tach. Plus these can be customized I believe as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dakota-Digi...W/332227018714
Old May 14th, 2018, 01:37 AM

that price i quoted was for the whole panel-you can maybe buy just the cluster for about 600.00-but you will need the other parts that go with it
Old May 15th, 2018, 06:05 AM

You will also need a complete dash harness.
Old May 15th, 2018, 08:25 AM

I have owned over 25 67's and to be honest the tic toc tach option is cool. but it is not accurate and is hard to read when you need to know what is going on. I opted for a good set of gauges under the dash and added a tach off the side like the 66 sidewinder tach but used a small aftermarket one. Much more accurate and for a fraction of the cost and knowing what is going on with the engine is important.
I tell people the gauges is the most expensive thing I put in my car. (joking) I put them in and learned I had very inadequate oil pressure. Cost me rebuilding my engine. But, to be honest would have been so much more expensive if I had not known and kept driving it to a serious breakdown.

Just me 2 cents

Larry
Old May 15th, 2018, 10:41 AM

Larry-thats ok if u want a hot rod-but most people restoring a vintage auto want original parts-more authenic and makes the car worth more and gauges under the dash is tacky
Old May 15th, 2018, 11:36 AM

I don't think your statement is accurate at all. I think most people who restore a car do it the way they want. And they should. It is their car and their money. I would never call someone or their car tacky for adding things that make it safer to drive or more informed on the condition of the car. The electronics in the 70's and prior years were not very good. For that matter even the 80's were not so great. Many musclecars through the years has had a tach or gauges added. Just like wheels and tires, exhaust, stereos and so on. The factory tic toc tach gauges were not accurate and were not easy to read. They are very expensive to add so you can get incorrect information about the cars running.
If you are a purist and want it all original and factory, I understand that position and respect it. That means if your car did not come with it then don't add it. But, again it comes back to this: if it is your car, do what you want it is your's and it is your money. I was just adding that the factory gauges are poor quality. Yes a cool option. But, not to be relied on for your vehicles running condition.

As for saying it is tacky. I have had my car in many shows and it usually takes 1st or 2nd place. It has been in a magazine and I get compliments everytime I drive it. Which is often. I believe these are to be enjoyed not put on a pedestal. Yes respected and enjoyed. Only the ultra rare should be put in museums and the like.

I hope you enjoy your car as much as I enjoy mine. I have owned this one for almost 39 years and have owned close to 80 Oldsmobiles. I have helped hundreds of people build their dream cars to what they want. I hope you do the same with yours.

Enjoy

Just my 2 cents
Larry
Old May 15th, 2018, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
I don't think your statement is accurate at all. I think most people who restore a car do it the way they want. And they should. It is their car and their money. I would never call someone or their car tacky for adding things that make it safer to drive or more informed on the condition of the car. The electronics in the 70's and prior years were not very good. For that matter even the 80's were not so great. Many musclecars through the years has had a tach or gauges added. Just like wheels and tires, exhaust, stereos and so on. The factory tic toc tach gauges were not accurate and were not easy to read. They are very expensive to add so you can get incorrect information about the cars running.
If you are a purist and want it all original and factory, I understand that position and respect it. That means if your car did not come with it then don't add it. But, again it comes back to this: if it is your car, do what you want it is your's and it is your money. I was just adding that the factory gauges are poor quality. Yes a cool option. But, not to be relied on for your vehicles running condition.

As for saying it is tacky. I have had my car in many shows and it usually takes 1st or 2nd place. It has been in a magazine and I get compliments everytime I drive it. Which is often. I believe these are to be enjoyed not put on a pedestal. Yes respected and enjoyed. Only the ultra rare should be put in museums and the like.

I hope you enjoy your car as much as I enjoy mine. I have owned this one for almost 39 years and have owned close to 80 Oldsmobiles. I have helped hundreds of people build their dream cars to what they want. I hope you do the same with yours.

Enjoy

Just my 2 cents
Larry
Old May 15th, 2018, 11:57 AM

ok-sorry if i offended