'66 Delta 88 Convertible Frame Wanted!

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2005, 08:24 PM

Need a solid one! Closer to NY state the better. Thanks,
Josh
Old April 11th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Banned

Josh,
The frame for the 88 hard top and the Conv are the same. The Hardtop and the Conv both used fully boxed frames. You can used one from a two door or a for door hardtop or Conv.
The frame for the Starfire will also work.

The Sedans are open (or C section) and will not work under the Conv. The Ninety Eight frame is 3 inches longer in wheel base and 6 inches longer behind the rear axle.

Pontiac, Chevy and Buick frames are different and will not work.
Old April 11th, 2005, 06:43 PM

Wow! Ya Learn something new everyday! Thanks for the awesome information!

Josh
Old May 1st, 2005, 01:37 PM

Thumbs down

Hi Josh, You know what I just happen to have a frame that I pulled up from Oklahoma and holy moly its as solid as a rock. And ready to be put underneath a car although I would paint it. And I don't know where in NY you live, But I live in London Ontario Canada and am willing to part with this frame. I did a frame off on my 66 Delta 88 and it had a perfect pit free frame, this frame is just as good and came from underneath my parts car. This frame has the body off and is frame only not rolling.
Dave....
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:24 PM

Hi Josh, I did some research on that frame of yours. I was sure when I posted my last reply about my own cars but I wanted the get the official GM word from my chassis manual. This is an excerpt right from that manual. All extended station wagons, convertibles, 84 and 8600 series use the boxed type frame, meaning that the side rails are boxed or two sided in the centre section of the frame. All heavt duty frames are the boxed type contruction using the same steel stock as the convertibles of the same series. The series of your vehicle is a 35800 which indicates a delta 88. 38400 is all ninety eight models except luxury sedan and 38600 is the series for the luxury sedan. YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AN 35800 SERIES DELTA 88 FRAME. I do think but do not know for a fact that a Dynamic 88 CONVERTBLE frame will work. The frame that I have would have to be reinforced in the centre section (I would not do it if it were my car). I have done a frame off restoration on a 66 Delta 88 Holiday coupe. Every nut and bolt. I own a 65 Starfire and I am beginning a frame off restoration on a 66 Cutlass and of much lesser importance I own a 78 corvette. I hope I have helped you along. This is correct information.

Dave
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:18 PM

Dave;
Thanks Very Much for the GREAT info...Ive had few Oldsmobiles and my first cat was a '65 F-85.
I found an AWESOME '66 Delta 88 convrt that has a bad spot or 2 in the frame. For some reason GM convrt frames; especially full size ones dont fare well. This car is far from junk and have been contemplating putting a solid frame under the car. Locating one has been more difficult than I first anticipated.
How difficult of a job is it to replace the frame on my car? What would be, in your estimation; the right way to go about this?
Thanks,
Josh
Old May 5th, 2005, 06:32 AM

Josh, It is a big job to do it right, and for any car it takes alot of time effort and patience. A few little tips however, one being mark the body mounts so that you put them in the same place if you reuse the old ones. Cutlass mounts will work but you have to modify them a little. And if you need to replace floors or trunk do this before you remove it off the old frame or the body will spread and you will have a helluva time getting things straight again. If you decide to go this way I can tell you from personal experience it is very pleasing to drive a car that turns alot of heads and at times creates alot of interest at a show because of its obscurity. I'm new at this computer thing but if you want to give me your email somehow I could probably help you out alot more. The question about how to go about this would take an awfully long time to answer. While I'm on here, I got to looking at the frame I have that would technically fit under your car. If you know a good welder who you trust to do a good job on boxing in that centre section maybe that would be a possible option if done properly the strength would be there. It all depends if you are hell bent to have an original convertible frame.
Old July 28th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

I don't know if a 67 frame is the same, but a guy has one for sale in NE Ohio from a 67 Delta convertible that's supposedly mint. Contact him at: Kenibil@aol.com
Old August 3rd, 2005, 01:29 PM

Hello I have a perfect convertible rolling frame for 1965 to 1970 Delta 88. Located near 3 major interchanges by Youngstown,Ohio. 330 307 3376.