65-66 Ninety Eight Rear Reading Lamp Bulb Cover & Radio Antenna

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2023, 03:15 PM

65-66 Ninety Eight Rear Reading Lamp Bulb Cover & Radio Antenna

Hello all!

I have a 66 Ninety Eight and I'm missing the drivers rear reading lamp lens / bulb cover. Does anyone have one or know of another GM product that uses the same part?

Also, my non powered antenna was snapped off before I bought her. I'd like to find a replacement if possible.

Thank you!

-Chris
Old June 5th, 2023, 05:33 PM

Chris,
Welcome. I also have a 66 98, but no rear (quarter lamp- is that what you’re referring to?) lamp, since my top goes down. From what I’ve seen over 40 years in 65-66, Olds used two rear lamp styles - a rectangular one maybe with an Olds logo and a circular one which looked more generic GM. It might be a good idea to post a picture of the housing so we’ll understand what you’re looking for, or take a shot of the right one so we know. Match what you got, but if it won’t look weird, I think you’ll find may reproductions of the circular one.

The non-power (right front fender mounted, correct?) was common to many Olds of that period. If I had your problem I’d hit eBay with a search for “Oldsmobile fixed antenna mast” or something like that.

Also be aware that at the cost of bodywork and upgrade, Olds made a cool power antenna option which was desirable for these cars, but it was mounted on the right rear fender. So you’d have to fill and paint the front fender hole, get all the parts (switch, power wires, signal cable and motorized mast assembly) - then cut the correct size hole in your right rear fender. I did this on my ‘66 Starfire and was very happy with the upgrade. The mast and cables and stuff are all sort of large GM generic from that day 65-66 Caddy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds so you can potentially swap in other brand equipment. The only piece that’s really Olds-unique is that under dash power antenna switch.

I’ve had these cars for a long time, when you can’t sleep and would like to learn more, maybe some of my posts might help you.

Cheers
Chris
Old June 5th, 2023, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by cfair
Chris,
Welcome. I also have a 66 98, but no rear (quarter lamp- is that what you’re referring to?) lamp, since my top goes down. From what I’ve seen over 40 years in 65-66, Olds used two rear lamp styles - a rectangular one maybe with an Olds logo and a circular one which looked more generic GM. It might be a good idea to post a picture of the housing so we’ll understand what you’re looking for, or take a shot of the right one so we know. Match what you got, but if it won’t look weird, I think you’ll find may reproductions of the circular one.

The non-power (right front fender mounted, correct?) was common to many Olds of that period. If I had your problem I’d hit eBay with a search for “Oldsmobile fixed antenna mast” or something like that.

Also be aware that at the cost of bodywork and upgrade, Olds made a cool power antenna option which was desirable for these cars, but it was mounted on the right rear fender. So you’d have to fill and paint the front fender hole, get all the parts (switch, power wires, signal cable and motorized mast assembly) - then cut the correct size hole in your right rear fender. I did this on my ‘66 Starfire and was very happy with the upgrade. The mast and cables and stuff are all sort of large GM generic from that day 65-66 Caddy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds so you can potentially swap in other brand equipment. The only piece that’s really Olds-unique is that under dash power antenna switch.

I’ve had these cars for a long time, when you can’t sleep and would like to learn more, maybe some of my posts might help you.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris!

Thank you for the great info!

After reading your reply, I went on eBay and searched around for the courtesy lamp lens. I found an OE GM unit for $10 shipped. If anyone in the future needs to replace the round one, the GM PN is: 4765600

Next was the antenna. I found the antenna plastic nut but no complete setup or mast. I found universal units that would work for my application but they don't look correct. I'll keep an eye out for a good used one that matches the factory unit.

Thank you again! I'll definitely look through your posts and see what I can learn.

-Chris

Old June 5th, 2023, 09:56 PM
Oldsdruid

Here's yer antenna mast part number.

Group 9.647, p/n 385081, MAST, 1965-68 ALL except station wagons or Toronado. It also fits 1964 and 1969 F85 except wagons.
Old June 5th, 2023, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Here's yer antenna mast part number.

Group 9.647, p/n 385081, MAST, 1965-68 ALL except station wagons or Toronado. It also fits 1964 and 1969 F85 except wagons.
Hi there! Thank you for that information. The only thing online that matches that antenna PN is a power antenna mast. Here is the link:

https://www.2040-parts.com/nos-oldsm...8-69-i2004277/

Do you happen to know the part number for the manual non power mast?

Thank you!

-Chris
Old June 6th, 2023, 05:55 AM
Oldsdruid

Sorry. Shouldn't look in parts books so late.

9.647, p/n 589724. 63-66 except F85, 67-68 except Toronado or 1968 F85.
Old June 6th, 2023, 07:59 AM

Sorry. Shouldn't look in parts books so late.

9.647, p/n 589724. 63-66 except F85, 67-68 except Toronado or 1968 F85.
Haha, it's totally fine. I super appreciate the help!

-Chris
Old June 7th, 2023, 03:25 AM

i have a complete manual antenna assembly from a 66 88,i do believe the plastic nut is reproduced and the mast for a 61/62 (don't know how different the mast is)
Old June 7th, 2023, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by jcdynamic88
i have a complete manual antenna assembly from a 66 88,i do believe the plastic nut is reproduced and the mast for a 61/62 (don't know how different the mast is)
Yeah, I've seen the plastic but on eBay but not the 66 mast. My base and nut are in great shape. I just need the mast.

How much are you asking for your complete assembly?

Also, do you happen to have a battery hold down setup for '66 88, 98, or Starfire?

Thank you,

-Chris
Old June 7th, 2023, 02:41 PM
Oldsdruid

Check with Fusick www.fusick.com on the battery hold-down. I've gotten them for 64 FSC and I think one of my friends got one from them for his 1966 Starfire.
Old June 7th, 2023, 07:37 PM

i do not have a battery hold down,$75 for the complete antenna assembly. i think fusick has a mast for earlier models that would work but has a different top to it
Old June 8th, 2023, 01:18 PM

Check with Fusick www.fusick.com on the battery hold-down. I've gotten them for 64 FSC and I think one of my friends got one from them for his 1966 Starfire.
Thank you. I found everything I need on their site but it's a little pricey. If I can't figure out a cheaper solution I may have to bite the bullet and go that route.

Thanks again,

-Chris
Old June 8th, 2023, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by jcdynamic88
i do not have a battery hold down,$75 for the complete antenna assembly. i think fusick has a mast for earlier models that would work but has a different top to it
Thank you, I appreciate the help. I'll keep you in mind.

-Chris