1978 - 1979 Cutlass sport steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2008, 06:10 AM

1978 - 1979 Cutlass sport steering wheel

I would like to purchase a 1978 - 1979 Cutlass two spoke sport steering wheel in red/maroon color. Thank you, Michael
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Longhorncutlass
I would like to purchase a 1978 - 1979 Cutlass two spoke sport steering wheel in red/maroon color. Thank you, Michael
Michael,
If you see one in really good shape but the wrong color, don't worry about it. You can buy vinyl paint to color match your interior. To make sure the paint will stick, you have to use a cleaner/etcher (get it from the same place that will sell the paint). Just mask off the brushed steel areas really good. The center button on the horn cap should pop out. Just do it carefully. If you put the horn button in hot Soapy water for about 5 minutes it will soften the plastic and the soap will help lube the center button as it releases.

Saw one of these wheels on evilbay not long ago. BTW I had a 1978 Cutlass Calais with this kind of wheel. It looks really sharp.
Old November 14th, 2008, 10:36 AM

Allan, thx for the reply! Yeah, it's a good looking wheel. I bid on that one on ebay a couple weeks ago but as usual, got outbid at the last second I'm not good at painting so if I can't find one in that color, then I may just order a burgandy leather cover from Wheelskins.com and stitch it on my steering wheel myself. Thanks!
Old November 14th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Longhorncutlass
Allan, thx for the reply! Yeah, it's a good looking wheel. I bid on that one on ebay a couple weeks ago but as usual, got outbid at the last second I'm not good at painting so if I can't find one in that color, then I may just order a burgandy leather cover from Wheelskins.com and stitch it on my steering wheel myself. Thanks!
Good to hear. Love to see how it turns out. Heard the Wheelskins has some decent products but I've never bought from them. BTW, don't know why, but the word "paint" is in bold and red in my last post. Not how i typed it. Wierd.

The vinyl paint is custom made into a spray bomb so if the wheelskin thing doesn't turn out, you can still try that option. I have a leather wrapped wheel that I'm going to try to dye the right color, then vinyl paint the rest to match the car. When it gets done, I'll post the results.