1976 98 Regency Exterior Door Trim

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2020 | 02:56 PM

1976 98 Regency Exterior Door Trim

Hello all,

I am im need of door trim for my 76 regency. I am missing the trim in the photos. Anyone have a good source for exterior trim? Cheers!

Old April 17th, 2020 | 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by magnetictape502
Anyone have a good source for exterior trim?
Another '76 98 in a junkyard. Other years might fit as well from that era ('71 to '76). You'd have to check. No one stocks these kinds of parts, and no one reproduces anything body and trim-wise for any full-size Oldsmobile. You've posted your need here, which is good as there are people parting out full-size Oldsmobiles from that era.

Search online for junkyards as well. Look on craigslist for parts cars. Watch ebay as you never know what NOS pieces will pop up from time to time. Set up an automated ebay search. I did that for my '78 Toronado. I get an email every morning with new listings that match my search terms. It surprises me the number of NOS trim parts that I would have never expected to find at all, let alone in NOS condition, that have popped up and that I've grabbed. It may take a year before you run across parts like this. You never know.
Old April 18th, 2020 | 02:57 AM

Have trim for your car

I may even have some pieces of NOS trim for it parted out a few of those cars give me an email address and I'll send you some pictures thanks

do you need trim for the quarter panel there also looks a little naked ?

Last edited by rocketscientis; April 25th, 2020 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Two ed it
Old April 18th, 2020 | 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by rocketscientis
I may even have some pieces of NOS trim for it parted out a few of those cars give me an email address and I'll send you some pictures thanks

Can't send a PM, your inbox is full. Rather send it in a PM if possible
Old April 18th, 2020 | 06:45 PM

email sent, PM sent as well. Check your spam folder.

Old April 20th, 2020 | 04:07 AM

Email sent! Very interested!
Old April 20th, 2020 | 05:24 AM

Here's a good search engine for finding parts in a salvage yard. I'd start by searching for a door for a 76 98:

http://www.car-part.com/

In addition to our website, there's also Hemmings:

https://www.hemmings.com/

If you can't find it, in the mean time you might consider replacing all of the side trim with similar adhesive side trim available at the auto parts store or here:

https://www.jcwhitney.com/
Old April 20th, 2020 | 02:13 PM
Oldsdruid

"If you can't find it, in the mean time you might consider replacing all of the side trim with similar adhesive side trim available at the auto parts store"

GAAAHHH!!!!!! Lot of 75 and 76 88s had that from factory and it looked like hell, esp when it started peeling away from the sheetmetal after a few years.

Far as I know 75 and 76 Ninety Eight use the same side trim and possibly 73-74. I don't have my parts books handy to give you the part # and cross-reference. Looks like someone has done away with the mounting studs and clips so you'll need those too. Car must have got hit in door and quarter and destroyed the side trim.

Old April 20th, 2020 | 03:52 PM

I will just cross my fingers that I can source original trim. I'll keep it on the original rims as well. I like that term "handsome". I think it describes this car accurately.

I have some studs present on the door and a few in the rear. Ill take it one step at a time. I am not evem sure what I am looking at there to be honest. The car is in storage right now, I will assess things once it is home with me.

I replaced some broken lock stems today thanks to a kind soul that was willing to give me a few for free. Took another ook at the window and door seals and they seem to be fine. Just in need of cleaning.

It is so nice to have folks chime in to help, I have never felt so welcome in a forum as I have here. This has been an amazing experience.

What does one do for small cracks in the vinyl top?

Old April 21st, 2020 | 05:04 AM

Based on the last pic, the side trim looks identical to the trim on my Olds. You can probably source the trim on any 71-76 98 or Delta 88 sedan or hardtop.

Originally Posted by magnetictape502
What does one do for small cracks in the vinyl top?
The vinyl top will probably have to be replaced to do the repair correctly. While a vinyl top looks stellar on a car like ours they trap moisture and promote rust. I even bought vinyl top trim for my 71 because I thought I would add it. If you're really set on keeping the OE vinyl top you might consider a repair like this. Best bet is to contact a professional detailer and ask them if it can be repaired:

Old April 22nd, 2020 | 01:41 PM

I have found my trim/molding! Now where in the world do I source the mounting studs? I asked about them, but I am not sure if the seller of the trim knew what I was talking about...
Old April 22nd, 2020 | 06:46 PM

My trim pieces. Does anyone have a good source for mounting studs for the door trim?
Old April 23rd, 2020 | 05:10 AM

Was body work done on your car in the past? From the side pic I can see a hole in the door. Are there also studs on the door and fender to mount the trim? If not they've been removed.

If you don't have the studs this is what you need:

https://www.opgi.com/fasteners-hardw...20-ch2201.html

There's also a plastic retainer that snaps the trim into place on the stud. I suggest you go to a local auto body supply store and ask them what you need. If they are completely unfamiliar with the screw-in studs go someplace else.
Old April 26th, 2020 | 09:30 AM

I sent a pic

please email me
Omishjon4@gmail.com
Thanks

Last edited by rocketscientis; April 27th, 2020 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Two ed it
Old April 26th, 2020 | 01:30 PM

[QUOTE=rocketscientis;1244484]did you see the picture I posted I'm your thread do you need the quarter panel trim as well email is best way to go place is great here for a contacts butterfly rash that you're retarded cuz if you try to get any other information than that out of people but swear where is Madame translator old old old old what the hell did I say what I said was please email me......./QUOTE]
You really need to put the crack pipe down.
Old April 27th, 2020 | 01:47 PM

if that was my issue

[QUOTE=ROCKETMAN269V;1244538]
did you see the picture I posted I'm your thread do you need the quarter panel trim as well email is best way to go place is great here for a contacts butterfly rash that you're retarded cuz if you try to get any other information than that out of people but swear where is Madame translator old old old old what the hell did I say what I said was please email me......./QUOTE]
it would be a quick fix indeed my damn accent doesn't work well with voice text quite often even though I don't send it the damn message just sends itself and sometimes I could not get back to it plus I talk funny and I don't always proofread what the voice text prints I'm going to post apologize for whatever that thing said as well as pre apologize for whatever the hell I might do next I hope I did not offend anybody
Old April 27th, 2020 | 01:48 PM

if that was my issue

[QUOTE=ROCKETMAN269V;1244538]
did you see the picture I posted I'm your thread do you need the quarter panel trim as well email is best way to go place is great here for a contacts butterfly rash that you're retarded cuz if you try to get any other information than that out of people but swear where is Madame translator old old old old what the hell did I say what I said was please email me......./QUOTE]
it would be a quick fix indeed my damn accent doesn't work well with voice text quite often even though I don't send it the damn message just sends itself and sometimes I could not get back to it plus I talk funny and I don't always proofread what the voice text prints I'm going to post apologize for whatever that thing said as well as pre apologize for whatever the hell I might do next I hope I did not offend anybody
Old April 27th, 2020 | 04:07 PM

[QUOTE=rocketscientis;1244811]
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN269V
All is well. I did find my trim piece from another fellow, thank you for the reply though! I still need the clips for the trim. Does someone have a clip that is not obliterated? Id like a picture if possible
Old April 28th, 2020 | 05:10 AM

You never mentioned if there are still studs on the door and fender. Based on the pic in post #12 your trim still has some mounting hardware snapped into place on the backside. Here is a "snap in" style stud that goes through the hole in your door:

https://www.opgi.com/moldings/hardwa...10-ch2096.html

These plastic clips snap into the backside of the trim and slide over the studs on the door and fender:

https://www.opgi.com/fasteners-hardw...10-a10318.html

Be aware that this hardware comes in different sizes. You'll need to do some measuring to make sure you order the right parts.
Old April 28th, 2020 | 06:06 AM

I do have some remaining studs. I have ordered some replacement mounting hardware and clips. Of course I foolishly did not measure anything, just went off of recommendation and style of clip. I had enough pieces to locate what I think will be correct, but we shall see!

If it comes together, I will post pictures of my door with trim! If not, back to the drawing board eith measuring tape in hand!

While I have you all here...

Any recommendations for repairing small cracks and holes in rubber window seals? Is it better to leave well enough alone? The integrity of the rubber is good, there are just a few holes and small cracks that concern me. Will post pictures later.
Old April 28th, 2020 | 06:30 AM

Which window seals do you mean? You can get weatherstripping from Steele Rubber:

https://www.steelerubber.com/