1974 Cutlass Window Roller

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2014, 10:16 PM

1974 Cutlass Window Roller

I am looking for a window roller my 74 Olds Cutlass. I have tried ebay and google but with no luck. Here are some pictures of the one my body shop broke. NEW or USED is fine with me. Let me know what you have. If you don't have one but know of a part # or a source that would be a great help also.

Last edited by BAFRAYD; July 31st, 2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old August 1st, 2014, 07:46 PM

This is for a manual window. I'd buy the entire door if your in the mid atlantic area and that makes it easier for you.
Old August 1st, 2014, 08:41 PM

try GM...they used those up til the late 80s

try to find the part number...then have a parts department look it up..i used to put them on a lot..when i was on the line as a body man..a lot..
Old September 4th, 2014, 07:52 PM

Bump.....
Old September 6th, 2014, 08:57 AM

Try an old school glass shop. When I was working in one back in the 80's, we had tons of those things in all kinds of sizes.
Old September 6th, 2014, 10:12 AM

It will be the same from a car with manual windows as with power windows for the guide wheel roller. It mounts in the bottom edge of the glass on a stud, runs in a verticle track that bolts to the inner door structure and keeps the window glass from leaning inward.(your pics show all the parts but the stud mounted in the glass) None of the Help!/Dorman-Motormite rollers will work. The stud is too short on the one that appears to be correct. I've tried the dealer and a couple of old school glass shops in the DFW area with no luck. I've had to find good used parts to repair mine. I used some from a 75 Buick Regal in my 76 442 the first time and had a helpful board member find some for me a second time. (of course used parts don't last as long as new parts)
Here are a couple of threads about this same problem,
http://www.73-77olds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9853
http://www.73-77olds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7519
I think any 73-77 GM sister car to the Cutlass, plus the El Camino, Monte Carlo and Grand Prix use the roller you need. I'm not sure if a 4 door or wagon uses this roller though.

Last edited by texxas; September 6th, 2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old September 6th, 2014, 04:18 PM

I got your message. I do have one, but I have no idea how to get it off. any idea?
Old September 7th, 2014, 05:40 PM

On the backside you'll notice a flat washer-looking thing with two holes opposite of each other. That's actually a flat nut that will have to be unscrewed. Those two holes are for a special socket that utilizes those holes to grab hold of it. Be advised, they are usually stuck pretty tight...and, that tool will jump out of the holes as you try to unscrew it unless you put a lot of downward force on it. There's been times when I couldn't get it with that socket and used a flat blade screwdriver and tapped it counter-clockwise with a hammer to unscrew them. Of course, one has to be careful not to use too much force or you'll shatter the glass. BTW, that socket can be had on e-Bay for around $18.

Last edited by crimsoncolby; September 7th, 2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old September 8th, 2014, 12:52 AM

Did you try the aftermarket co HELP they may have it.
Old September 9th, 2014, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by crazy'boutOlds
I do have one, but I have no idea how to get it off. any idea?
Here's the wrench you need to get it loose. I've used a pair of channel locks on the stud to unscrew it too, of course you have to be careful not to break the glass.
http://www.topsdown.com/detailedImag...productid=1140
Old September 9th, 2014, 08:51 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I've tried all my local parts places and my Chevy dealer with no luck.

texxas - I read your posts over on the 73-77olds site prior to posting. Thanks for sharing your experiences there, you saved me a bunch of time!

crazy'boutOlds - If the instructions from crimsoncolby don't work let me know and I'll see if I can get you one of the tools for it. Thanks so much!
Old September 14th, 2014, 09:13 PM

I've been playing on eBay:

According to the eBay seller, the rollers on the left are supposed to be the correct ones for my car. The ones in the center are supposed to be for an early 70's Ford LTD. The one on the right is a Dorman 74407. The plastic pieces on these rollers are all identical BTW, only the studs vary. My old roller is inside the car door attached to the window so I don't have it right this minute to compare. (Anyone have a pic?) If the ones that are supposed to be correct are not I may take the collection to a machinist and see if they can machine the stud on one of these rollers to match the originals or to machine an adapter to make one of these work.

In the meantime, I am still looking for a good used one.
Old September 26th, 2014, 08:38 AM

bump
Old October 6th, 2014, 09:43 PM

bump