1974 Cutlass Salon

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2014, 06:24 AM

1974 Cutlass Salon

Looking for Glove Box Lid, right and left Quarter Sail Panel window Chrome or stainless Molding pieces, and drivers side rear fender chrome or stainless molding.
Thanks
Old May 6th, 2014, 08:07 PM

Virtually every glove box lid I've seen in the salvage yards (and, I've seen dozens) are cracked and/or chipped at the upper corners; presumably from people slamming the lid shut. If you can live with that, I can help.

Can't remember off-hand if the qtr/opera window is the same size as a std. Supreme. If so, there are repros available in the chrome-covered plastic style moldings as originally used on '74-'77. Actual stainless was a one-year only (1973) molding.
Old May 7th, 2014, 06:17 AM

The burgundy color glove box lid in the car now is broken right in the center so even though I can shut it, it hangs partially open.I believe the opera window is the same as the supreme. Can you buy the chrome colored plastic molding from a car parts place or online? That is strange to me that all the molding on the '74 is metal except the opera window. What about the rear drivers side fender opening molding/trim?
Thanks for your time.
Old May 7th, 2014, 09:42 AM

OPGI has the chrome-plated plastic repro opera window moldings for something like $160/pr. I actually have a used set in stainless I removed from a '73 Supreme that I'd sell for $190.

There are a couple Cutlasses with the Dark Oxblood interior (that's the official factory color you describe as maroon). Could see what condition the glove box lids are in. Many others in different colors if you're willing to re-paint. As far as I remember though, they all had the described cracked or broken corners.

Doubt if I can help on the rear qtr wheel well moldings. Very hard to find used ones that don't have some degree of dings, scratches, road rash, etc. No repros available, either.
Old May 9th, 2014, 06:04 AM

The plastic molding is that much? Seems one could buy some of that type from auto store and make your own. I do appreciate your time and expertise...
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:00 AM

Many have tried making their own...but, I've yet to see any that I'd want on my cars. Guess it all depends on what you're willing to settle for. Good luck with it!