1971 Olds Delta 88-Royale Convertible Top Relay

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2014 | 02:30 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Okay, I can't see it perfectly, but I'll start at the basics:

The two switch wires are going to the relay coils. Each coil has a wire coming off the other side. Where do those wires go?

The two field wires (Green and Yellow) go to the two different relays.
I can't see exactly what they connect to.
The look like they may be going to the common or the normally-closed contacts - that's not right.
They need to go to the NORMALLY OPEN contacts.
You should test this with an ohmmeter - see which contact is connected to the common when the relay is off and when it is energized.

- Eric
Old March 28th, 2014 | 02:43 PM

Essentially, this is what I did in drawing form
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (50.6 KB, 7 views)
Old March 28th, 2014 | 03:01 PM

[QUOTE=MDchanic;675821]Okay, I can't see it perfectly, but I'll start at the basics:

The two switch wires are going to the relay coils. Each coil has a wire coming off the other side. Where do those wires go?

-One goes to the ground wire and the one(s) in the middle go to the up/down location on the motor wires (yellow and green)

The look like they may be going to the common or the normally-closed contacts - that's not right.
They need to go to the NORMALLY OPEN contacts.

-The two prongs in the middle of the relay are joined together and that is what I attached to the yellow and green wires.
Old March 28th, 2014 | 03:08 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Delta88Royale
Essentially, this is what I did in drawing form
Okay, but I don't know, for certain, which switch terminals are normally open and which are normally closed.

- Eric
Old March 28th, 2014 | 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Okay, but I don't know, for certain, which switch terminals are normally open and which are normally closed.

- Eric
how would I know?
Old March 28th, 2014 | 03:12 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Okay, your connections to the relays are definitely wrong, but without knowing for certain which is NO and which is NC, I can't tell you what's right, with certainty.

Do you have a meter or a test light?

- Eric
Old March 28th, 2014 | 03:20 PM

See if this helps. I disconnected the relays and brought it back inside. You can see the close side only has the "power" wires attached bc the other ports were attached to the up and down switch. On the far side the ports behind the "power" port coming from the battery, go to the motor. The outside ports are joined together and grounded, while the middle 2 are jointed together and connected to the yellow or green wires.

I have an ohm meter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (46.1 KB, 7 views)
Old March 28th, 2014 | 03:50 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I figured out what went wrong: You have no idea what a relay does or where the different terminals go.

Here is your schematic, modified with the correct connections:

You need to completely change all of the connections.

Note that the battery wires connect to the center terminal of each set of three (terminals 4 and 8, four terminals total, two on each relay), and the motor wires connect to the terminals farthest away from the solenoid or coil terminals (terminals 2 and 6 in the picture). The Red wire from the motor connects to one terminal on each relay, and the Green and Yellow wires each connect to only one relay.

The changes I made are based on the relays having a standard pinout.
You should confirm the pinout to be sure this is right.

- Eric
Attached Images

Last edited by MDchanic; March 28th, 2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old March 28th, 2014 | 06:07 PM

All that work and it think the motor is bad.

Thank you for all the help and the diagrams. It made my first attempt at wiring a much easier task. Now I know the wiring for the relays and I just have to get a new motor to attach them to
Old March 28th, 2014 | 07:13 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You need to confirm that the motor is bad.

Since you've already stripped the motor wires, twist together the red and the green, leave the yellow separate and not touching anything, or tape it off, touch the hot wire to the red and green and see if the motor moves., then do the same thing with the red and the yellow wires twisted together and the green taped off.

If the motor doesn't work after you've done that, then it's reasonable to take it out and take it apart to see what's wrong with it.

Always glad to help.

- Eric
Old March 28th, 2014 | 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
You need to confirm that the motor is bad.

Since you've already stripped the motor wires, twist together the red and the green, leave the yellow separate and not touching anything, or tape it off, touch the hot wire to the red and green and see if the motor moves., then do the same thing with the red and the yellow wires twisted together and the green taped off.

If the motor doesn't work after you've done that, then it's reasonable to take it out and take it apart to see what's wrong with it.

Always glad to help.

- Eric
That's exactly what I did. No movement at all. I'm going to have to take apart he motor this weekend
Old March 28th, 2014 | 07:25 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I think I described taking it apart in one of my posts. It was a long time ago now, so if I were to try, I'd probably forget something important.
I recall that it came apart (and went back together) surprisingly easily, though.

It shouldn't be much of a problem to get another one - there are enough of these in junk yards, etc.

- Eric