1970 OAI hood frame pieces

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2018, 07:40 PM

1970 OAI hood frame pieces

I have a "customized" 1970 hood - someone tried to trim the front edges to make it fit a 1972 grille. It's reparable, but I need the front metal edges and the nose metal from a damaged frame or hood. Oldspackrat may have the side pieces I need from an old frame, but the nose piece isn't there.
Anyone have an OAI hood frame or a damaged hood that could be cut / parted etc. for my salvage job? Only a '70 hood will work for this. I don't believe a regular frame will have what I'm looking for.
Here are some pics of the hood I have so you can see what I need - the frame from the round cutouts forward. thanks for any leads - I'm in the Cleveland, OH area and can drive a distance, if needed.

Last edited by BSiegPaint; March 3rd, 2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2018, 08:08 PM

Hey Bob,
I just remembered, I have a '69 hood that might be a good parts donor? I'll try to check the nose section when I get to my warehouse & see if it is the same?
Old March 4th, 2018, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Hey Bob,
I just remembered, I have a '69 hood that might be a good parts donor? I'll try to check the nose section when I get to my warehouse & see if it is the same?
Hmmm - seems like it would be... Just looking for that downturn bit on the very front, and the width is the same! You might have everything in a one stop shop lol
Old March 5th, 2018, 09:15 AM

The difference between the 69 & 70 hoods is the latch mechanism. The difference between a 70 OAI and standard hood metal frame is the additional clearance for the chrome hood hold downs and the fact that the OAI frame is a bit narrower and does not have the 90 degree flange running down both sides where the outer sheetmetal was spot welded to the frame. There is also a reinforcing panel that can't be seen that is over the latch area to reinforce the very nose.
Old March 5th, 2018, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by 70wcar
The difference between the 69 & 70 hoods is the latch mechanism. The difference between a 70 OAI and standard hood metal frame is the additional clearance for the chrome hood hold downs and the fact that the OAI frame is a bit narrower and does not have the 90 degree flange running down both sides where the outer sheetmetal was spot welded to the frame. There is also a reinforcing panel that can't be seen that is over the latch area to reinforce the very nose.
Thanks, 70 - Oldspackrat has the side pieces - you can see I just need the strips of metal where the hockey sticks attach, plus a little bit of steel back to where the round cutouts are. The nose I have has been trimmed up about an inch or so - I'm missing the last bit of metal and the 90* bend where the nose extension bolts on. The '69 nose piece is the same width as the '70 where I need a cut, so if there's a donor hood, the '69 nose metal could work for what I need. '70 only for the other bits, however, and OAI hood only, for sure. I need a wrecked hood that was damaged in the middle, or one that wasn't rolled too badly in the front, but the fiberglas was damaged further back, etc. Corner damage - I need the middle! I wouldn't argue with having a chunk of the fiberglas nose as well, since mine has been sanded badly.... Just hoping someone has something I can work with.
Old March 6th, 2018, 05:09 AM

Hey Bob can you text me? I have pictures of that 69 Hood frame.