1970 Instrument Panel Lamp Housing & A/C Lower Valance

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2011, 08:17 PM

1970 Instrument Panel Lamp Housing & A/C Lower Valance

I'm looking for the instrument panel lamp housing shown in the first image below. Holds two bulbs above the A/C controls. My application is a 1970 Cutlass; I'm guessing any '70 to '72 Cutlass would have it.

I'm also looking for the A/C vent valance that attaches under the instrument panel shown in the second image below. I'd like the dark green interior color if available. I want to add an under-dash stereo housing and don't want to cut up my original. I think any '70 to '72 Cutlass would have this as well.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
parts_01.jpg (77.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg
parts_02.jpg (80.8 KB, 57 views)
Old October 8th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by O's_Car
I'm looking for the instrument panel lamp housing shown in the first image below. Holds two bulbs above the A/C controls. My application is a 1970 Cutlass; I'm guessing any '70 to '72 Cutlass would have it.

I'm also looking for the A/C vent valance that attaches under the instrument panel shown in the second image below. I'd like the dark green interior color if available. I want to add an under-dash stereo housing and don't want to cut up my original. I think any '70 to '72 Cutlass would have this as well.

Thanks in advance!
O,
You are right that these parts are available from any 70-72 Cutlass line, including Vista Cruiser.

The light module should already be in your car, just not hooked up. If it is missing it is a very easy to get part. If no one says anything right away, check with 2blu442, jensenracing77 or oldspackrat. They part out lots of A bodies and a great to do business with. There are probably others on this site that part cars too, but I am more familiar with the "big 3".

The AC under dash stereo housing required a 2 piece valence from the factory - you already knew this. If you are worried about wrecking your existing one, I understand. The AC lower valence is an easy to get part, just bulky to ship. It doesn't matter what color it is because you can color match it to your car by dyeing or painting it. FYI we have a member who specializes in the 70-72 under dash 8 track players and can provide you with the exact template needed to cut a stock valence to fit properly. Finding the 2 piece ones right now is about as hard as finding a complete cruise control.
Send W70442 a pm. He's a great guy and has been very helpful with restoring part of my 8 track. Plus if you need any parts or drive belts, or just need some overhaul done for your unit - he's the guy.
Old October 8th, 2011, 09:26 PM

I bet the dealers would have cut the original one to fit the 8-track but who knows. I know many folks do as an original two piece is hard to find. I have never seen a pair for sale though haven't paid a lot of attention to that, I bet they are out there. I'd look for another one-piece and cut it. from the outside they look exactly the same, the two piece do have different part numbers, but would have to be taken off to notice that.

X2 on Randy (W70442).
Old October 8th, 2011, 09:31 PM

I have a set that I made a pattern from an original pair of those underdash vents. I also have one of the two piece set of originals. I can make you a nice set also, or sell you a complete one piece that you can modify your self.
Give me a call if you want.
Thanks.
Cutlass Depot
Scott
c. 317-727-7041
Old October 8th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by stevengerard
I bet the dealers would have cut the original one to fit the 8-track but who knows. I know many folks do as an original two piece is hard to find. I have never seen a pair for sale though haven't paid a lot of attention to that, I bet they are out there.
Actually the dealers wouldn't cut it. They had easy access to the parts back then, and what better way to generate more $$ than to bring in SPORD parts? Then they turn around and re-use or sell the original for more $$$.

I have seen a number of the 2 piece units for sale on ebay. I seriously thought about buying them, but they went for over 200.00 each time. Besides, my car doesn't have AC, so it would just be for decoration.

I looked up the lower valence in the GM Parts manual and it sold for 14 and change back then. The 2 piece lower valence is shown as items 38/40 on the exploded parts view, but doesn't appear in the general catalogue under group 10.252. It probably wasn't that expensive, just not widely distributed.

Last edited by Allan R; October 9th, 2011 at 08:17 AM. Reason: fix bracket quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 09:46 PM

This bulb housing? I recall seeing two housings when ripping the dash apart.

Last edited by oldzy; October 22nd, 2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old October 9th, 2011, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by oldzy

if the car did not come with the light package it just had the one above the heater controls. if it had the light package it also had one above the wiper control on the left side of the dash.
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldzy

That's the one Ken. I bought a light package and extra housing off ebay a couple of years ago. It also requires a blue diffuser to screw on underneath. IIRC there are 2 housings on each car, but one is not hooked up for lights. Could be part of the 'generic production' they had back then??
Old October 10th, 2011, 05:13 AM

I have that metal lamp housing,if you still need one.
Old October 12th, 2011, 07:59 PM

Sorry for the late response guys, I should have checked back sooner. Oldzy, the housing in your picture is what I'm looking for. Like jensenracing77 said, my car came with the standard lighting package so I have just one housing over the A/C controls. I'm adding the courtesy light harness to my car - it's always bugged me that the wiper control wasn't lighted. Brian: thanks for your offer. I pinged 2blu442 earlier, if he doesn't have one I'll send you a PM.

I didn't realize there was a 2-piece valance out there, I just read about people cutting up the 1-piece. Oldspackrat: thanks for responding, let me see what shakes out with 2blu442.

Allan: that housing that W70442 sells is exactly what I intend to put there. I'm going to add the triple gauges, maybe a new stereo unit too.
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Oscar,
I think you'll like the units Randy makes. Especially the ones that combine the stereo and gauges. If I didn't already have an 8 track and rallye pac, I'd buy one too. If you buy one, remind him you need the cutting instructions for your lower AC. His pod matches the 8 track one exactly.

BTW, I was in the same boat you are. I also had the 'econo' lighting. Bought a new accessory lighting package for mine too. I have both pods/diffusers and now also have map light, mirror light, upgraded dome light and rear sail panel lights. I guess I went crazy on the lighting package but, oh well.

If you need a diagram of the lighting accessory hookup, I have one I can send you. PM me your email and I'll forward it. (it's on a word .doc)
Old October 13th, 2011, 04:57 PM

The lighting package that you are adding also had a lamp socket for the round headlight bezel with a small blue lense, the ash tray was lighted, lighted mirror, lighted glovebox, lighted trunk, under hood light, and console light for automatic cars.
Old October 13th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ok guys, what I did was pdf this file so I could post it here for everyone. Try clicking on the pdf it should pull up the pic and descriptions

Edit: if you need the AM showing the harness locations behind the dash LMK and I'll post a link.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Cutlasscourtesylightwiring.pdf (45.1 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Allan R; October 13th, 2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old October 13th, 2011, 06:02 PM

I have a Nice 1 piece Valance in Dark Green. Also the light housing if you still need it.
Old October 13th, 2011, 06:03 PM

Nice job of showing the lay out. Olds also had a courtesy light package that you could buy over the counter. It was a real nice kit.
Old October 16th, 2011, 08:09 AM

Allan: thanks for the wire diagram. Earlier this week I was studying the harness I bought and comparing it to the Assembly & Service Manuals - I figured out the connections like shown in your diagram, and I also figured out my dash has none of the other lamp housings! Guess I'll add the housings for the headlight switch, ash tray, and glove box to my "wanna have" list.

Could you send me the second picture in your PDF full size as a separate file (I'll PM you my email address), or post it here? My harness (aftermarket) has the 2-terminal connector for the map light, but there's only 1 orange wire connected to it. The map light (also aftermarket) has 3 terminals, 2 of which match the connector. I think something's missing from the harness.
Old June 17th, 2012, 06:16 PM

I'm reviving this thread. I've got the lower A/C vent valance but I'm still looking for the instrument panel lamp housing (see pictures in earlier posts). I'd like to get the blue plastic lens that goes with it too. I'm also looking for the glove box light assembly and activating switch. Thanks!
Old June 17th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by O's_Car
I'm reviving this thread. I've got the lower A/C vent valance but I'm still looking for the instrument panel lamp housing (see pictures in earlier posts). I'd like to get the blue plastic lens that goes with it too. I'm also looking for the glove box light assembly and activating switch. Thanks!
Oskar,
I have the light pods, blue lenses and a spare lighting harness. But I'm sure that Scott, Eric or John has them too. Only reason I'm suggesting them first is
Scott and Eric are way closer
John's (2blu442) in Medford, although further away shipping within the US is usually cheaper than from Canada.

I know that Scott (Oldspackrat) and Eric (jensenracing77) also have the pods that hold the light for the headlight and cigar light (ashtray), and the glovebox lights. Both of them are in Indiana which is fairly close to you.

Give them a shout and see what happens. I will help you with some of the parts if they don't have them.
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:53 PM

Thanks Allan, I talked to Scott and I think he has everything I'm looking for.