1964 olds starfire parts wanted

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2009, 05:32 PM

1964 olds starfire parts wanted

Hi,
I am also looking for a padded dash cap for my '64 Starfire, preferably green. And any input on replacing the cracked steering wheel. I was thinking maybe a wood or similar.

I may also need the aluminum? or SS? trim that is on the back deck area between the tail lights.
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:30 PM

I had a '64 Jetstar 88 that had cracks in the dash pad. I ended buying another one in good shape and repainting it. They make paint for the material these dashes are made of (vinyl, I think), and it worked very well. The hard part was getting the dash pad out.

As far as the steering wheel, I never did anything about mine. It had a few cracks, which is common for cars this old. The problem is that any donor cars will have steering wheels just as old and just as likely to be cracked.

There are steering wheel restoration services, such as this one

http://www.garyssteeringwheel.com/gallery.htm

I've never had it done, but I understand it can be surprisingly expensive.

As far as exterior trim, you're going to be looking for used parts from other cars. I don't think any of this stuff is being reproduced. I needed a new rear bumper for my Jetstar as well a number of other trim pieces and a new left front fender. All of them were gotten (this was back in the early 1990s) by calling vendors listed in Hemmings. I ended up getting parts from all over the country, and about the only person who was as familiar with my do-it-yourself restoration as I was was my UPS delivery man.
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Oldsdruid

The padded dash can come from any 1964 full-size Olds with or without air conditioning.

You can have the steering wheel restored. If you're thinking factory woodgrain wheel, be prepared to part with $$$. I haven't seen one go for less than $600 in several years, and then in just average condition. Colors are higher than black.

The bumper may be a hard find. Rust-free cores are not common and priced accordingly. All 88 and Starfire/J-I use the same bumper.

I have found two decent tail panels in 26 years of 1964 ownership. I passed on a NOS one in 1991 because I thought the $110.00 asking price was too high. I'd love to find one now at twice that. There was an NOS one on epay a few weeks back, beat all to hell around the LH taillight opening, but someone bought it. I wasn't that desperate.

They tend to corrode around the taillight openings so just because a used one looks nice, wait till it's all the way off the car before saying yea or nay. The letters tend to get loose too...
Old August 13th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Past Administrator

Moved to "parts wanted" forum with 2 day re-direct.
Old July 24th, 2014, 03:08 PM

64 starfire

Originally Posted by 64 starfire
Hi,
I am also looking for a padded dash cap for my '64 Starfire, preferably green. And any input on replacing the cracked steering wheel. I was thinking maybe a wood or similar.

I may also need the aluminum? or SS? trim that is on the back deck area between the tail lights.
Old July 24th, 2014, 03:09 PM

64 starfire

Originally Posted by 64 starfire
Hi,

i have the trim for you if you need it