1952 Super 88 hood spring needed

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2017, 03:15 PM

1952 Super 88 hood spring needed

My 1952 Super 88 Olds needs a hood spring. I have one and need one.

I think a 1951 is the same. Perhaps someone knows which years will fit. Also whether other models are the same or not.
Old September 8th, 2017, 07:50 PM

Try this link about the same problem but different year.If you don't get a answer measure your springs and give me your dimensions I'll compare them to a set I have. They may give you a option if they are the same as 54-56 ... Tedd

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...gs-1956-a.html
Old September 8th, 2017, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Try this link about the same problem but different year.If you don't get a answer measure your springs and give me your dimensions I'll compare them to a set I have. They may give you a option if they are the same as 54-56 ... Tedd

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...gs-1956-a.html
Just looking at the pictures in that thread they are different than a '52. The '52 on the lower end the coils taper to a smaller diameter. The 52 has 29 coils vs the '56 which has 27 in the photo in the other thread. It also looks as if the '52 has longer ends between coils and hooks.

I'll see about getting a measurement. Maybe they would work even without the taper if there is room.

Last edited by 4421972; September 8th, 2017 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Fixing image
Old September 9th, 2017, 09:11 AM

Still looking for hood springs for my 55. Do not want to buy used springs and end up with the same problem of the hood not staying up. NOS would be my first choice or might have to cough up the coin to have them re-manufactured.
Old September 9th, 2017, 05:18 PM

I can dig out a hood spring for your 52. PM me if I can help.

BTW a comment of a general nature. Lubing the hood hinge rivet points is a tricky business on these cars. Guys spray on whatever they have and then the hood starts to sag at once. On the other hand if the hinge assys are really tight and you are not careful when closing the hood you can kink the hood on the side edge about a foot back from the leading edge. This was a problem with these cars when new, there was factory specs for lubing and what to use for lubricant. I have a '51 parts car where the otherwise excellent hood was ruined this way. You have to be careful when opening wide to keep the rear corners from digging in to the fender tops, and on closing you have to wiggle it a little bit to get the hinge assys loose to close. If the rivets are really loose or the assys are really lubed up, no springs will hold the heavy hood up high enough to save your forehead from the hood latch, how well I know.
Old September 11th, 2017, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by coldwar
I can dig out a hood spring for your 52. PM me if I can help.

BTW a comment of a general nature. Lubing the hood hinge rivet points is a tricky business on these cars. Guys spray on whatever they have and then the hood starts to sag at once. On the other hand if the hinge assys are really tight and you are not careful when closing the hood you can kink the hood on the side edge about a foot back from the leading edge. This was a problem with these cars when new, there was factory specs for lubing and what to use for lubricant. I have a '51 parts car where the otherwise excellent hood was ruined this way. You have to be careful when opening wide to keep the rear corners from digging in to the fender tops, and on closing you have to wiggle it a little bit to get the hinge assys loose to close. If the rivets are really loose or the assys are really lubed up, no springs will hold the heavy hood up high enough to save your forehead from the hood latch, how well I know.

PM sent.