Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1978 Toronado remains

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2021, 11:05 AM

1978 Toronado remains

Hi All
I purchased this car several years ago because it had a really nice red interior. I sold the parts in high demand and since then have been slowly picking parts off it. I now have a person interested in the rolling chassis so I need to finish taking it apart and what doesn't have demand will need to go to the scrap yard. I have too many parts cars partially dismantled and its time for me to finish this one off. I'm attaching several photos and will make a list of parts with prices. It has rust in the lower body and rot in the trunk. The floorpan looks good and has the brackets for the 60/40 seats. If you need something other than what's listed let me know and I'll see if I still have it and if its in good enough condition for you. The prices do not include shipping. Car is located in Medford Oregon.

Power window regulators & Motors untested $30 each or $50 for the pair
Nice fuse box & dash wiring harness $100
Two hood popper springs $10
Hood release assembly $25
Door glass $35 each if shipped in cardboard with bubble wrap. Crating would be more
Gas tank door $15
Lights below trunk lid $35 each or $50 for the pair
Trunk wiring harness $50
Side marker lights for trunk or fenders, $15 each
Back seat side glass $15 each
Power door locks, untested $15 each $20 for the pair

Old January 25th, 2021, 11:08 AM

More pictures

Old January 25th, 2021, 11:11 AM

And a few more. The front and back windshields are good, but shipping could be difficult.

Old January 25th, 2021, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
John - That AC Evaporator Core case looks like it's in nice shape. I don't have any need for one, but I was surprised to see it in good shape. I don't believe anyone reproduces those. I wouldn't toss it in the scrap pile perhaps.
I agree that there's still a lot of odds and ends on the carcass that are good. But due to the lack of demand I may not find anyone needing it. I will try to pull as many usable parts as possible before sending it to the crusher. I have boxes and boxes of parts pulled from cars over the years because I hate to throw good parts away! Somebody somewhere may need it!
Old January 25th, 2021, 08:05 PM

John, I'm interested in this front end. It looks to be in very good shape, and I might have a use for it down the road. I'd hate to see it thrown away. I've seen '77s with '78 grilles on them and vice versa. I'm guessing/hoping/thinking that it's kind of rectangular in overall shape, and it might not be too difficult to find a box for it.

What would you want for that, with shipping? You can PM or email me if you prefer.

Thanks.

Old January 25th, 2021, 08:16 PM

I'll be busy tomorrow, but will see if I can come up with a box for it in the next couple days. I'll also get more photos for you Dan, I think it is in good condition but I'll look again to see if there's any damage. Shipping Greyhound bus lines might be the best way to ship. But we can explore whatever shipping methods you'd like.
John
Old January 26th, 2021, 06:35 AM

Thanks, John. No hurry.
Old January 28th, 2021, 09:19 PM

John,
There are quite a few of us here that owe a debt of gratitude to you and that white '78. There are two things that could help me out before she goes away.

The God-awful plastic strips that go around the quarter windows. I can see the one on the passenger side isn't ready for the concours d'elegance, but mine is missing altogether. I'm hoping that with a pattern, I can come up with something. Please PM me with the price for both sides, if you still have them. If not, whichever one is still there.

On the driver's door window, in the middle there is an adjustment that looks like a downward pointing pin. It goes into a hole that is plastic lined. I screwed up and broke that plastic piece on my car, so now the window rattles when it is all the way up. Could you take a look at that piece that has the plastic on it to see how hard it would be to get out of there? Again, Please PM me with price and do-ability.

Thanks!!
Old January 31st, 2021, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Thanks, John. No hurry.
I've come up with a box, but the width of the panel is going to make this oversized. Shipping might be spendy. Please send me an email or PM with your shipping address and I'll get a quote. If you don't need the fiberglass header panel it might be more cost effective if I remove the grills and other parts to ship. John
Old January 31st, 2021, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by 77toronado
John,
There are quite a few of us here that owe a debt of gratitude to you and that white '78. There are two things that could help me out before she goes away.

The God-awful plastic strips that go around the quarter windows. I can see the one on the passenger side isn't ready for the concours d'elegance, but mine is missing altogether. I'm hoping that with a pattern, I can come up with something. Please PM me with the price for both sides, if you still have them. If not, whichever one is still there.

On the driver's door window, in the middle there is an adjustment that looks like a downward pointing pin. It goes into a hole that is plastic lined. I screwed up and broke that plastic piece on my car, so now the window rattles when it is all the way up. Could you take a look at that piece that has the plastic on it to see how hard it would be to get out of there? Again, Please PM me with price and do-ability.

Thanks!!

Here's the rear sideglass frames. They're really fragile and I broke them both removing them. But if you want them for a pattern you can have them for shipping costs.

Old January 31st, 2021, 06:08 AM

John,

Thanks!!
I pulled the glass from the doors a long time ago. I may have put the plastic pieces in a coffee can, but I don't know. Here's some of the pieces I left in the car, I think I see the pin but not anything that it might go into. If you can come up with a photo that might help me look for it. John

Old January 31st, 2021, 06:13 AM

Found the main part of the jack in the trunk. $20 plus shipping if anyone needs this. I also have the spare, deflated tire and rim. That may be heavy and more expensive to ship, but I'd also take $20 plus shipping for it. I'll add photos soon.

Old January 31st, 2021, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I've come up with a box, but the width of the panel is going to make this oversized. Shipping might be spendy. Please send me an email or PM with your shipping address and I'll get a quote. If you don't need the fiberglass header panel it might be more cost effective if I remove the grills and other parts to ship. John
John, I'll email you on this. Thanks.
Old January 31st, 2021, 11:20 AM

Spare tire, good for car shows but nothing else! Sorry, I don't have the can to inflate it with. It does look like it had paint spilled on it at some time in the past. $20 plus shipping.

Old January 31st, 2021, 12:14 PM

Those Toronado rims are worth their weight in gold. They're unique to the '66 to '78 Toronado and Eldorado, although I think the '66 to '70 rims have more of those little openings than the '71 to '78, but they still fit. No one makes new ones, and if you might ever need one as I did because one of the ones I had was bent slightly, you can pay a pretty penny for one. Just saying that if anyone ever might need a rim, might want to grab an extra one while there's one to grab. I see that John still has the other four rims as they appear to still be attached to the car. If those are in decent shape, someone might want one or more of them. Might be worth cleaning them up, and, if they're not too rusty, put them on craigslist or something as they'll appeal to Eldorado owners as well.
Old January 31st, 2021, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Those Toronado rims are worth their weight in gold. They're unique to the '66 to '78 Toronado and Eldorado, although I think the '66 to '70 rims have more of those little openings than the '71 to '78, but they still fit. No one makes new ones, and if you might ever need one as I did because one of the ones I had was bent slightly, you can pay a pretty penny for one. Just saying that if anyone ever might need a rim, might want to grab an extra one while there's one to grab. I see that John still has the other four rims as they appear to still be attached to the car. If those are in decent shape, someone might want one or more of them. Might be worth cleaning them up, and, if they're not too rusty, put them on craigslist or something as they'll appeal to Eldorado owners as well.
I didn't know when they changed, but the 1978 ones have 7 holes while the 1960's vintage have 10. Thanks for the heads up on them, I've got extras that all have dead tires on them but little to no rust in my part of the country.
Old January 31st, 2021, 12:46 PM

I'll take the window trim. If it didn't break with you, it would have broken as soon as I took it out of the package. I'm going to try to figure out how to make some replacements.
It's raining today, so I'm going to have to put off pulling the door panel to get an actual picture of the part I'm talking about.

I thought I had the piece I was looking for from the parts manual, but upon some internet searching, I'm not sure now. This is from Chicago Muscle Car Parts
This is a zoom in of piece #6 in their picture, which is the large part you're holding in your hand in one of the shots. I was thinking I needed the screw on piece at the bottom, but I believe I actually need the white plastic piece that snaps into the top. I've drawn a sorry looking red arrow towards it.

Please let me know if you see these, or the screw in piece at the bottom, in the coffee can.

Thanks!

Last edited by 77toronado; January 31st, 2021 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old February 6th, 2021, 04:42 PM

I'll take the window trim. If it didn't break with you, it would have broken as soon as I took it out of the package. I'm going to try to figure out how to make some replacements.
It's raining today, so I'm going to have to put off pulling the door panel to get an actual picture of the part I'm talking about.

I thought I had the piece I was looking for from the parts manual, but upon some internet searching, I'm not sure now. This is from Chicago Muscle Car Parts
This is a zoom in of piece #6 in their picture, which is the large part you're holding in your hand in one of the shots. I was thinking I needed the screw on piece at the bottom, but I believe I actually need the white plastic piece that snaps into the top. I've drawn a sorry looking red arrow towards it.

Please let me know if you see these, or the screw in piece at the bottom, in the coffee can.

Thanks!
Well, it was really windy the day after I removed them. So I put them somewhere safe... somewhere... I hope to come across them soon! They are yours as soon as I find them. Please send me a PM or email with your shipping address so I can get the costs as soon as I find them. Boy, this is worse than walking into the kitchen and wondering what I went there for! John
Old February 8th, 2021, 04:35 AM

Thanks!
Found the window surround pieces! Please send me your full name and shipping address, either PM or email.
John
Old February 8th, 2021, 01:29 PM

PM sent. You're awesome, John
Old February 14th, 2021, 04:10 PM

Getting close to having all the sheet metal cut up and ready for a trip to the scrap yard. I'm using a battery powered sawzall so when the batteries are exhausted I'm done for a while. The trunk floor was rotten, but the main floor pan looks good. I'll cut it out and put it back of the garage for now. I can always scrap it in the future if its in the way. I know there's not many people restoring these, but I hate to throw away good parts.

Old February 14th, 2021, 05:00 PM

Just sharing, the local guy who bought the chassis is going to put a vintage International truck cab on it, from a 2 1/2 ton truck. He also has motorhome parts with large 8 lug hubs he plans to use. Its going to be a lowered flatbed with the Toronado front wheel drive setup. I've seen his plans and it will be a head turner for sure!