Paint for trunk trim of 68 442

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2015, 09:10 AM

Paint for trunk trim of 68 442

I would like to paint the trunk trim pieces of my 68 442 and was wondering what the most accurate paint to use to do it. I have heard in the past some type of aluminum paint but don't know much more than that. Also I am in need to paint my parade boot in some black vinyl and was wondering what the best and most accurate color would be. Thank you in advance.
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:16 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Try chrome in a spray can. It dulls out after a bit and looks great. For the boot SEM makes the dyes for vinyl. They have a marine grade that may work well.
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Try chrome in a spray can. It dulls out after a bit and looks great. For the boot SEM makes the dyes for vinyl. They have a marine grade that may work well.
Thanks nice 442 you have.
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:50 AM

I painted my white parade boot with SEM Landau Black and even after three years you can't tell it was painted. I cleaned it well, used their SEM vinyl prep, and painted it on a warm dry day out in the sun.

I used some light silver paint for the rear trunk trim and then used a straight block with a fine cloth and thinner to get the paint off the lettering and edges that aren't suppsed to be painted.

Last edited by allyolds68; June 15th, 2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old June 15th, 2015, 10:27 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Id send you some pix of the rear but dont have time to photoshop out the licence plate. And tx for the complement. This ones been around longer then all the others. I guess its part of the fam. My daughter thinks shes gittin it.
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Randy C.

I used the color "argent" on my trunklid trim piece, and then lightly wiped off the paint on top of the "OLDSMOBILE" letters. It turned out great - looks just like original.

I've also heard that some people used a color called "dull aluminum" and got the same positive result.

Randy C.
Old June 15th, 2015, 01:46 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I was gona suggest Argent but Ive never seen an original like you have Randy. I thought it looked too dark at the time, but really had nothing to use as a comparison. The chrome spray I stumbled on when I restored the red one some 25-30 years ago and didnt have the knowledge I have now. The chrome spray bomb flattened right out after summer of sun and washing. Now it looks Argent. Same for the head light buckets. Youd be hard pressed to tell they have been rebuilt with glass n resin and repainted. Ive seen a set of repros and I cant tell. Are the buckets originally Argent as well? What about the black thats in the outer side of the buckets? Is that flat or semi? And have you had to redo yours. I cant figure out how to get it in there other than a brush.
Old June 15th, 2015, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
I was gona suggest Argent but Ive never seen an original like you have Randy. I thought it looked too dark at the time, but really had nothing to use as a comparison. The chrome spray I stumbled on when I restored the red one some 25-30 years ago and didnt have the knowledge I have now. The chrome spray bomb flattened right out after summer of sun and washing. Now it looks Argent. Same for the head light buckets. Youd be hard pressed to tell they have been rebuilt with glass n resin and repainted. Ive seen a set of repros and I cant tell. Are the buckets originally Argent as well? What about the black thats in the outer side of the buckets? Is that flat or semi? And have you had to redo yours. I cant figure out how to get it in there other than a brush.
Thanks guys for all your advise and help. any particular brand that comes closest to the original color? The dull aluminum sounds good.
Old June 15th, 2015, 02:50 PM

Probably the Krylon dull aluminum. My buddy did his a couple of year ago with a Duplicolor paint, I emailed him to get the correct info, it will be a bit before I hear from him, it turned out very nice.
Old June 15th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Randy C.

Seymour also makes a dull aluminum and I've always found Semour paints to be pretty good. A lot of the repro companies will put their cover on a can of Seymour paint and charge 50-100% more for it.

I've attached a couple of pictures of what my argent paint looks like after almost 8 years. The car doesn't get out that much and I can't see that the color has changed any since it was new. I taped off the perimeter and then used lacquer thinner to take the paint off the tops of the OLDSMOBILE letters.

Same color for the headlight buckets and other trim around the front end, or at least that's been my experience. I didn't have to do my headlight buckets - they were just too far gone so I bought repros. Bugs are a royal pain to clean out of those!

It sounds to me that the "chrome spray bomb" is also a great solution to what color to use!

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0615151536.jpg (734.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg
0615151536a.jpg (709.1 KB, 30 views)
Old June 16th, 2015, 06:33 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Randy...That looks NICE! W27 what he said/did. And where are the pictures of your 68?