Windshield Washer Motor ('72 Concealed)

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2010, 06:50 PM

Windshield Washer Motor ('72 Concealed)

Looking to refurbish my windshield washer motor because the finish looks kind of crappy (unit works fine). A new OEM unit would be best, but I probably do not have a budget for this.

Seen some rebuilt units out there, but the spray can finish on them does not look original (looks sprayed, not the original aluminum finish).

Any suggestions on a spray finish to use to detail this item? My engine compartment is starting to look good, and this one item is starting to pop out more than ever.

Any input is appreciated.
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:45 PM

Take a look at Eastwood.com - they have a wide assortment of underhood spray finishes for almost every friggen part there it. I want their underhood variety pack for only 50 bucks! The aluma blast may be just your color.
Old January 16th, 2010, 11:23 PM

How "scaly" is the upper aluminum housing on yours??
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:01 AM

The aluminum is unfortuantely pitted with some surface scarring.

I dont mind painting, I just hate the "aluminum" paints which really jump out at you. I do like some of the Eastwood products. Their Cad finish is very good. I have not worked with their Alumablast.

Do any repro houses have a good new assembly? I saw rebuilds in most and I am assuming they will be just repainted. In this case I would rather do the repaint etc.
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:26 PM

Just checked the motor this morning. Most of the oxidation was on the surface. I could not feel any deep pits at all.
Old January 17th, 2010, 07:22 PM

............then don't "paint" the upper alum housing. It wasn't painted from the factory.

>Clean the alum surface with lacquer thinner and a rag, Q-tips, etc. DON'T USE anything like Castrol Purple Power or any of the spray on mag wheel cleaners. Just use lacquer thinner or an equivalent and carefully wipe, etc 'til it's clean.

>Get a white Scotchbrite pad and lightly use something like Mother's Mag Wheel POLISH. Again, take your time...the more time you take, the better it will look. Don't scrub hard...you aren't trying to make the housing shine like a mag wheel...just trying to clean the surface again.

>Wipe it off again with lacquer thinner....you are now removing any residual Mothers stuff and getting the surface CLEAN again. You really need to get it wiped off well with the thinner.

>Mask off whatever you don't want "painted". Spray the clean bare aluminum with Eastwood Satin Clear For Bare Metal Surfaces. You can probably find another brand SATIN clear locally and that will probably be fine. WHATEVER YOU DO....DON'T USE A GLOSS CLEAR....it will be obnoxiously apparent sitting there on your firewall.

>Lower steel housing---This is the place for a paint....you can figure out what you want that part to look like.

This one has the Satin Clear treatment on the upper aluminum housing. The new "pump mechanism" (white plastic parts and zinc plated metal plate on the upper part of this) are from The Parts Place. That part was not installed when I cleared the upper alum part.

You can go as crazy as you want....get new zinc plated screws, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2041.JPG (65.6 KB, 35 views)
Old January 18th, 2010, 04:59 AM

What paint did you use for the windshield wiper motor? Was going to place an order with Eastwood today for some supplies. Washer and wiper motor looks great!

Thanks for your tips.

Last edited by johnspd22; January 18th, 2010 at 05:11 AM.
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:57 AM

I think on that one the lower part is just painted with a parts store "Steel Wheel Paint" or "Stainless Steel Wheel Paint" by Plasticote.

That lower part of the motor/pump was originally plated...but it's not removeable by any ordinary, easy-to-do method so you have to "make do" with paints. Again, nothing high gloss on that part either.