Rocket Emblem paint color

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2009, 09:46 AM

Rocket Emblem paint color

Anybody know the paint code for the claret red in the Olds rocket emblems (hood ornament, trunk emblem, door panels, etc specifically 1966) or where to get it? I have heard Testors enamel model paint might work (thick and sticky to hold on the metal), but can't really find a color that matches. Any suggestions on how to paint (small paint brush?). Thanks!

Last edited by MarkR; November 18th, 2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old November 18th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Trying to remember member

If you mean that iridescent type red color used in the '70s, I'd be interested in that too.
I do know that a nice temporary fix is red permanent magic marker. Looks surprising good. Clear coat it, and it lasts quite a long time.
Old November 19th, 2009, 06:58 PM

If you go to your local paint shop or auto paint store, they should be able to match the paint. A good acrylic enamel should last. You can also clear coat it after it dries.

Go to an art store and purchase a good quality small brush with a fine point. The better quality brushes (either synthetic or hair types) hold a charge of paint much better than the cheaper brands, which equals less mistakes.

Last edited by Dan Wirth; November 19th, 2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old November 19th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MarkR
Anybody know the paint code for the claret red in the Olds rocket emblems (hood ornament, trunk emblem, door panels, etc specifically 1966) or where to get it? I have heard Testors enamel model paint might work (thick and sticky to hold on the metal), but can't really find a color that matches. Any suggestions on how to paint (small paint brush?). Thanks!
Originally Posted by wmachine
If you mean that iridescent type red color used in the '70s, I'd be interested in that too.
I do know that a nice temporary fix is red permanent magic marker. Looks surprising good. Clear coat it, and it lasts quite a long time.
I believe it's called "claret". Strangely enough one of the best places to find a best color match (God help me, this is true) is go to a cosmetics counter and look at the shades of nail polish. You can get an almost exact match at a decent price. Best of all, you don't have to do the clear coat over top. The finish settles into the ridges and you can trim the applicator or use fine paint brushes for details. 2 coats max and you're done. Then, do something kinky like paint your toenails and hide in a smarties box. Ever been found doing this? Me either, the camo works like a charm
Old November 20th, 2009, 08:53 AM

Sometimes you can get a good match from a rattle can. Spray some into the cap, let it partially dry, and brush it onto the emblem. A paint shop will want to sell you at least a pint at $60 or a quart at $100.
Old November 20th, 2009, 09:49 AM

A quick aside: Red is the most expensive color you can purchase at the auto paint store, period.
Old November 20th, 2009, 01:06 PM

Thanks! Red toenail polish would not go with my black fingernail polish, so that's out!
Old November 20th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Govt slave

I used Testors #1104
dark red rouge force
Looks pretty good.
Old November 28th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

i used duplicolor's metalcast red. It has that iridescent effect and the color is pretty spot on too.
Old November 28th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
A quick aside: Red is the most expensive color you can purchase at the auto paint store, period.
Actually, in our shops we pay far more for yellow than we do for the reds.