Refinishing my 68 442 engine compartment.

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2011, 11:05 PM
1968 442 restoration

Refinishing my 68 442 engine compartment.

I am refinishing the engine compartment on my 1968 442. I think I have a pretty good Idea of how it should look but I wanted to ask some of you who know exactly how it should look.

It looks like it should be black, including the inner fenders, from the windshield to the grill and on the sides up to the fenders. Now the fenders look like they should be the body color all the way around to the inner fenders. The hood looks like it should be the body color on the inside also.

The engine I believe should be bronze, including the valve covers and intake manifold. The carb and related hardware should be unpainted and the aircleaner should be red/ orange? Should the air cleaner cover have a sticker and chrome center?

Should the heat riser from the passenger side manifold be black? How about the manifold cover for the heat riser? Should all of the brackets (alternator/ ps) be black? How about the pulleys and vibration damper?

I believe the trans and flex plate cover should remain unpainted. Am I correct on any of this? Please help.

Thanks,
Chris
Old May 1st, 2011, 02:53 AM

I'll help with what I know:

Originally Posted by getawaycar
It looks like it should be black, including the inner fenders, from the windshield to the grill and on the sides up to the fenders. Now the fenders look like they should be the body color all the way around to the inner fenders. The hood looks like it should be the body color on the inside also.
Correct except the hood is black underneath with the body color visible around the edges. Fenders are black inside except where body color overspray hit them

Originally Posted by getawaycar
The engine I believe should be bronze, including the valve covers and intake manifold. The carb and related hardware should be unpainted and the aircleaner should be red/ orange? Should the air cleaner cover have a sticker and chrome center?
All correct. The air cleaner has a tin "442" pie plate. See Fusick for the correct one
Old May 1st, 2011, 08:14 AM
1968 442 restoration

Thanks. How high up should the fenders be black? Do you have a picture of a 68 engine compartment I could use for reference?

Chris
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:28 PM

What he means is the BACKSIDE of the fenders should be black. The fender "jambs" or "drop offs" (what you see when you open the hood...for example the hood hinges are bolted to what I call the fender jambs or dropoffs) should be full body color....fully painted with body color just like the outer body, etc.

The BACKSIDE of the fenders would be what you see when you put your head down and peek back behind the battery, etc and look at the backside of the fenders. That part is black. It's this "backside" of the fenders that got paint overspray on them from the fenders being painted (fender skin and jambs).

The fender jambs run the full length of the fender...back from the firewall up to where the ends of the radiator support bolt up to them...all body color. The factory painted this portion just like the outside of the fenders.

Last edited by 70Post; May 1st, 2011 at 07:32 PM.