Painting over old primer?

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2016, 04:46 PM

Painting over old primer?

Good evening gents,

I found a clean and straight 1965 Jetstar 88 two door hardtop. The price is right but my concern is a future paint job. The car has been sitting in primer for 5 plus years.

I'm not looking for a Barrett Jackson Auctions finish. Just a clean daily driver paint job. In order for this to happen, will the car have to be stripped down to metal? What are my options?

Thanks,
Mike

Old June 16th, 2016, 05:16 PM

Some painters won't do it cause they don't want bad primer or bad bodywork hid by bad primer ruining their paint job and reputation. Cool car though.

Last edited by Gary M; June 16th, 2016 at 05:18 PM.
Old June 16th, 2016, 05:31 PM

that oldprimer was NOT a sealer and thru time it will rust thru.so yes take it off.plus as mentioned you have no idea whats underneath it.
Old June 16th, 2016, 05:34 PM

Damn, I gotta pass on this one. I'm getting quotes from $5K to $15K to take it down to metal and repaint. Smh. I mean I get it but damn.
Old June 16th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Administrator

You can sand it off yourself with a small investment in time, tools, and sandpaper. Then get someone to do an inexpensive paint job just to put a shine on it.
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:05 PM

Earl schribe or cheap paint shop

There used to be a place called earl schribe that would paint anything. You better have had the bird sh@@@ off though or it got painted over. Was around 500.00. Get what you pay for usually. As suggested you could sand it off yourself but get advise on that too. There are wrong ways to do that. Did you check the body with a magnet to find any bondo?
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:38 PM

You better get Maaco.
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:58 PM

Will the paint lift or shrink or crack over the old primer? I've read I can spray the car with a polyester filler. Sand, spray a 2k primer, then paint?
Old June 17th, 2016, 05:05 AM

I bought a car in primer, wet sanded it and primered again and sprayed Lacquer. About a year later the paint was flaking off down to bare metal. The metal was shiny like a mirror. Bottom line is dont trust other peoples' work, materials used when it comes to paint. Its too costly and labor intensive to have to do over again.
Old June 17th, 2016, 06:52 AM

^^^^

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
I bought a car in primer, wet sanded it and primered again and sprayed Lacquer. About a year later the paint was flaking off down to bare metal. The metal was shiny like a mirror. Bottom line is dont trust other peoples' work, materials used when it comes to paint. Its too costly and labor intensive to have to do over again.

Proof it can happen.
Old June 17th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It all comes down to whether you're a gambling man.

The fact that it's been outside for five years like that and hasn't rusted or peeled seems to imply that it will stay painted, but you have NO IDEA what kind of paint it is or what's under it, so there is no guarantee that a paint job over it will last.

If you were to buy it and throw a cheap coat of paint on it yourself, and accept that it may or may not peel off or rust or whatever, that would be fine; I would not make the considerable investment of paying someone else to paint over it, though.

- Eric
Old June 17th, 2016, 07:52 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Buy it, sand it, put a coat of primer on it and single stage paint and enjoy it. I would be sure and wipe it down with whatever the paint supplier says use before I primed it. There has to be some bird crap and tree sap in the primer. If I wanted it that is what I would do.
Old June 17th, 2016, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gary M
There used to be a place called earl schribe that would paint anything. You better have had the bird sh@@@ off though or it got painted over. Was around 500.00. Get what you pay for usually. As suggested you could sand it off yourself but get advise on that too. There are wrong ways to do that. Did you check the body with a magnet to find any bondo?
There's one by me within a 45 minute drive. I stopped by there one time to check out the cars and their paint job is not bad at all.
Old June 17th, 2016, 11:47 AM

I remember old TV ads for Earl Schribe. 29.99 1960s I think. The only prep was a wash.
If the price is right I would not let the primer stop me from buying.
Old June 18th, 2016, 03:09 PM

We did an Earl's paint job on the '72 in the late 90's. Dad and I did the prep and primer ourselves, they just did the single stage. This was after Dad had painted it himself in the garage a couple of times over the years.

Looked really good. For a year.

Then it all, literally, fell off of the primer.
Old June 18th, 2016, 03:36 PM

I passed on the car, bummer.
Old June 21st, 2016, 04:58 AM
car nut farmer

What MD said. If it has been in primer for 5 years and still holding I wouldn't worry too much. I would wipe down with cleaner/degreaser, sand with 400, do any needed filling, clean again, put down sealer/primer, hit with single stage. Granted, it's a gamble but if the car is cheap enough........

That said, it always irritates me when I see cars for sale that have been spray bombed with primer. WTF!! That detracts from the value!

jmho
Old June 21st, 2016, 08:02 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 71rocket
That detracts from the value!
Only if the buyer has half a brain.

Since the ideal buyer of anything anywhere at any time is a total idiot (who will pay more for less and not complain when he's shortchanged), you want to make it appealing to idiots, and not to the intelligent, so a coat of primer is ideal.

It's like sending a poorly worded e-mail to someone about how you're a Nigerian prince, and will give them a million dollars if they just send you a hundred - you want the smart people to hit Delete immediately, since they won't fall for it anyway, and only the abysmally stupid to actually respond.

- Eric
Old June 21st, 2016, 08:49 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Wait a second! You mean that guy wasn't a real Nigerian Prince??
Old June 21st, 2016, 08:50 AM
car nut farmer

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Only if the buyer has half a brain.

Since the ideal buyer of anything anywhere at any time is a total idiot (who will pay more for less and not complain when he's shortchanged), you want to make it appealing to idiots, and not to the intelligent, so a coat of primer is ideal.

It's like sending a poorly worded e-mail to someone about how you're a Nigerian prince, and will give them a million dollars if they just send you a hundred - you want the smart people to hit Delete immediately, since they won't fall for it anyway, and only the abysmally stupid to actually respond.

- Eric
True.

I re-read my post and should have clarified "value" as being desirable to me.
Old June 21st, 2016, 09:01 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Well, yeah, because you're smart.

But as a smart person, you are NOT the target audience for anything that's for sale.

- Eric